Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Made in indonesia

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by ReaL Madras, May 1, 2013.

1. SingleCoilKickr

SingleCoilKickr TDPRI Member

Nov 30, 2013
    NY
    My first electric was a Squier strat made in Indonesia. Probably an '04 or '05 model. It was $250 and I feel like I got a lot of guitar for the money. It's broken now - one screw holding the trem in place came out of the body, but it was a great guitar while it lasted. The best part was its neck. It had a satin finish and I haven't found another guitar in that price range with as comfortable a neck.

I've also got a new Indonesian G&L Tribute ASAT Special. I *love* this guitar. I'm amazed at how well it plays considering its low price.

My experience with Indonesian guitars is that you can find a really nice instrument if you spend the time looking. I think you're more likely to find a quality Indonesian guitar than a Chinese one.

2. ReaL Madras

ReaL Madras Tele-Afflicted

Apr 8, 2012
    I have a Squier Stratocaster Deluxe and it has that very neck........

3. Gautfrid

Gautfrid Banned

Aug 25, 2013
    England
    No it isn't, it just needs another longer/thicker screw. Or you could block the trem. Whammy bars are over-rated anyway :)

2007 Squier Affinity Made in Indonesia. It's not a bad guitar - not a GREAT guitar, but not bad. Even better now it's got new pickups. Cost £130 new

[​IMG]

4. kennl

kennl Tele-Holic

Feb 6, 2007
    Moon Township, PA
    I have 2 partscasters with rosewood board Indonesian Squier necks. I got a beer-branded 20th Anniversary Squier (see my avatar) that played and sounded great, and I realized that the neck was a good fit. I'll be happy to take those Indonesian necks off your hands if you decide to swap for something wider.

5. mbattr

mbattr TDPRI Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Evansvilee, IN
    Had a bit of luck just goofing around on eBay last summer, got an apparently new Indonesian Standard----flawless, with plastic protective coating and dealer sticker still on the pickguard----for just under $120 including shipping. It's not my number-one guitar, not even my number-one Telly, but it's a fine instrument, a good player with a decent bluesey sound thru an amp, and I find myself reaching for it more and more at practice time. I tend to prefer MIM or MIA Telecasters more, but there's nothing wrong with the Indo Std. in my small experience...

6. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2003
    UK
    I've had three Indonesian guitars (Dot, Squier Tele Custom 2, Squier VM Jag). Two have had minor issues (finish and flaws) that wouldn't pass QC if they were more expensive quitars. I've spotted similar issues on others Indonesian guitars in shops.

On all, the hardware has been good enough. The pickups have been pretty decent – comparable with low mid-range instruments (although not always well matched to the guitar). The bodies tend to be on the heavy side and not as resonant as more expensive instruments... In general, the guitars don't sound as articulate but a pickup swap could fix some of that.

Let downs always seem to be the factory set-up, the finish on the pickguards, satin necks where applicable and cheap electronics. However the electronics are better than they used to be.

But overall, great for the price and they make good players despite any limitations.

It's hard to find a bad guitar over £125 these days. They can all be set up to play well and a lot of the eastern-made pickups sound OK. I hear people overstating the quality of cheap guitars - I've owned Squier, MIM, MIJ, CIJ and MIA and they do go up in quite well defined steps, The MIMs now outshine the 1990s MIJs/CIJs (in my opinion).

But that said, modern Squiers deserve great respect. They need setting up properly, buy they make very playable, giggable instruments affordable. They can be every bit as fun as a MIA guitar to play. There's a whole generation of learners who don't have to endure the plywood and pot metal horrors of 20/30 years ago. :)

7. orangedrop

orangedrop Friend of Leo's

Aug 20, 2010
    New York
    I think the Asian Rim production is putting out a lot of great quality work.

Do you remember the Schecters with Paua purffling and hot dog fret ends, smoking sweet quilt tops for under $500?

Nothing amazing about how we can't come close in price point.

Just a matter of economics really.

Living wage is WAY higher here, insurance, workers comp, OSHA standards etc. all drive the cost of operating a business through the roof.

Have to add that to the cost of the instrument too:)

How long has Samick been in business?

I seem to remember them being around in the early 80s?

Nice goodies!

8. Edwin

Edwin Banned

Jun 23, 2010
    Alaska

9. thebird55

thebird55 TDPRI Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Warner Robins, GA
    My Squier Standard Strat is Indonesian, as is my Epiphone AJ220SMN, my shoes (both pair), my coffee.......

All good stuff.

10. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I picked up a MII Squier Cyclone recently at a music store and it seemed quite well put together. Neck pocket was a little loose, but the paintjob was flawless, neck felt pretty good and the fretwork was okay. I might buy one. :D

11. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    Sadly its not amazing .Its just wages not skill.They earn enough far far less an hour with no benefits,health or unemployment pay .There is no comparison .Even guitar like squier are probably 150% over their actual cost plus all profits .They are making all the US companies fortunes.

12. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

You can't generalise on working conditions in Indonesia. Have you been there? I have and it's far from a 3rd world backwater.

The cost of living is lower there, hence the wages are too. Not everyone in the Western world gets benefits, healthcare or unemployment either, as any casual or part-time worker will tell you.

As for skill - it's the same as any other semi-skilled factory work. Fender makes planks on a stick, mostly made by machine, and assembled by hand. It's hardly a craft...

13. paulo6

paulo6 Tele-Meister

Sep 14, 2011
    london
    Indonesian Squiers

I recently bought the Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster, which is made in Indonesia. It's simply just a great guitar and compares more than favourably with my US made Fenders and Gibsons. The basswood body is heavy, but the cream colour, coupled with the gold adonised scratch plate and lovely tinted neck make it a real looker. It's a lovely player, with powerful yet toneful pickups and I gig it regularly.
    My only other Squier was back in the 90s - a Japanese made Silver Series Strat. It was ok, but nothing special. If the JM is anything to go by, Squiers offer increasingly exceptional value.

14. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2013
    NYC
    All of my Squiers, 3 Tele's and 1 Strat, are MII. I'm very impressed with them especially the 2 VM Tele Custom's I have, a Tele Custom and a Tele Custom II. For the price I think anyone would be hard pressed to find a better deal!

Attached Files:

15. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Tele-Afflicted

i bought an overdrive pedal today and i asked the salesman to let me use the squier standard tele for testing the pedal. the first guitar he handed me was the one in vintage blond and it had a small neck and very light weight, about 5 lbs. i didnt like it so i picked another blond which was older ( ive seen it hung there for the last 5 years or so,yellower, heavier, had a chunky neck and weighed about 7 lbs, similar to the mim on displayand i liked it very much. i checked all the new ones on display and they were lighter. all were made in indonesia. what do you think?

16. Big tuna

Big tuna Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2012
    east side
    I have had an affinity tele ,neck was not good,rough fret work.got another one and good as a mim I had. A jagmaster I bought had a great neck and was built well.

17. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2013
    NYC
    That makes a lot of sense to me, both of my favorite Squier Tele's are MII, but are at least 5 yrs old and have beefier necks which I really dig. My newer ones are good, but they have the thinner necks.

18. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    If you add 10 USD value to a guitar at the factory ,its 20USD when it leaves to the dealer .Its then 40 USD when they sell it .Probably most customers dont care about its wiring or its pots and dont forget that many if not most customers are now ex third world countries not ex rich Americans.The manufacturer has to deal with other cheaper guitars and wont bump the price up 40 bucks when its a weeks wages for many .Take a world view .some of the products coming out of Asia are stunning and would cost thousands if made in the US .

19. BRASMAN

BRASMAN TDPRI Member

Nov 15, 2013
    Planet Utah
    I dont know about all of them but all of the "Vintage Modified" ones I have played and own are awsome for the price.

20. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    All three of my Squiers - Strat (IC08...), Tele (IC12...), VM Jag Bass (IC13...) are Indonesian made, and I could not be happier with them. They are well made and perform well for what I need.

I certainly can't say if they are "as good" as their MIM counterparts, BUT I can say that I got ALL THREE (strat was used, the other 2 new) for the same price I would have payed for ONE MIM (new) :D

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.