Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Made in indonesia

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by ReaL Madras, May 1, 2013.

1. grandstick

grandstick Tele-Holic

Oct 10, 2010
    Virginia, US
    I picked up a Squier Standard Strat Double humbucker from CL a couple of nights ago. The seller had replaced the stock pups with some Guitar Fetish HBs. I was thinking I might want to swap some things out, but I'm happy with it as is.

image-2823986031.jpg

2. wildkat-bob

wildkat-bob Tele-Afflicted

May 14, 2013
    Beside a Mountain
    i have a vm strat had a set up done by a luthier it plays great the only thing i want to do to it is replace the electronics the pots are too small and replace the 5way switch and output jack and wiring with shielded wiring so that way the duncan designed pups will sound alot better.

Attached Files:

3. Gassage

Gassage Tele-Meister

Jun 30, 2013
    UK
    I bought one Indonesian Squier- a Jazzmaster. Utterly exceptional for £250.

4. suthol

suthol Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2010
    Sydney - Australia
    I had a tinkle on various guitars at Wira's Music in Kuta a bit over a week ago, various Corts, Squiers, Epis etc and came away with the CV Thinline below.

TBH there was bugger all between them all but the Thinline was an itch that has been causing me grief for years that just had to be scratched, it has all of the harmonics and twang that one would expect from a Tele.

I got the guitar for RP 4,200,000 and a US hardcase for RP 80,000 which with card charges finished up at A$538.00 on the exchange rate of the day.

The best price I had found in Oz was $516 plus delivery and that was in a gig bag which is something I have never asked any of my instruments to travel in so I reckon it was a pretty good deal.
    [​IMG]

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

My favorite CV. The neck is extraordinarily pale but it is the closest to normal thickness of the CVs.

BUT.

This guitar is absolutely 100% not made in Indonesia. This one's China.

6. suthol

suthol Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2010
    Sydney - Australia
    I know that mine is made in China, the point I was making badly was that the MII guitars in the shop all played pretty much equally well compared with the imported ones.

There was a Blacktop Strat in a glass case that they wouldn't let me play because I had no intention of buying it

7. zosofan

zosofan Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I have a indonesian VM strat and the bridge was total sheite, but after swapping the saddles she's not going anywhere! I'm very happy with her.

8. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    The last few times I've been to China and checked out the shops, I'd say about 90% of the guitars I looked at were made in Indonesia including a whole heap of good acoustics.

Most of them looked to be quite good quality.

9. Spanker

Spanker TDPRI Member

Sep 27, 2011
    London
    Just to say that I also have no complaints about my Squier MII VM Tele Custom II. I bought it second hand for little money. I think the nut is probably stock and I have had no problems. Sound and playability is really excellent for a guitar in this price range and it gets plenty of use. I did spend a little bit of cash on 2 new tone pots (CTS 500K modded to give no load at 10) and a couple of orange drop caps. This gave me inproved tone control but it was not that bad stock.

10. wildkat-bob

wildkat-bob Tele-Afflicted

May 14, 2013
    Beside a Mountain
    i was right it sounds amazingly better,i had her rewired using seymour duncan's vintage staggered SSL1 wiring diagram.after all the duncan design pups in the vintage modified series are wound to the vintage staggered specs.:cool:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013

11. ChrisL56

ChrisL56 TDPRI Member

Jul 18, 2013
    UK
    Only problem I have had is with a Hotrails Strat which sounded good, but not quite how I would have expected. Metering the pickups gave me some unexpected results so I whipped the scratchplate off and found that each was labelled with its correct position but that was not where they had been installed. Other than that, I thought the overall build quality was way beyond expectation for the price

12. ChrisL56

ChrisL56 TDPRI Member

Jul 18, 2013
    UK
    Only problem I have had is with a Hotrails Strat which had the pickups installed the wrong way round in spite of each one having been clearly labeled with its correct position. Otherwise I thought the overall quality was way beyond its price.

13. BRASMAN

BRASMAN TDPRI Member

Nov 15, 2013
    Planet Utah
    Mine are awesome and play as well or better than my MIM.

14. BRASMAN

BRASMAN TDPRI Member

Nov 15, 2013
    Planet Utah
    In fact Schecter and a few other companies have guitars made in Indonesia that are way more expensive than the Vintage Modified line by Squire. I like how they are taking classic guitars and doing stuff with them to make them in various set ups. I am surprised they don't cost more than what they do.

15. PaulStrattele

PaulStrattele Tele-Holic

Jun 18, 2013
    WNC
    I found out recently that any Ibanez under a $2000 price point is now Indonesian($1400 Universe for example). Ibanez must be confident in their manufacturing process for that type of shift.

16. Edwin

Edwin Banned

Jun 23, 2010
    Alaska
    I bought a new Squier VM Cab P bass in September 2013 just because I liked the look of it in the catalog. My first bass to learn on. I was suprised by the good design hardware and fit and finish. The Fidel'tron pickup poles don't line up perfectly to the strings but I think it's true of all Fender Fidel'tron pickups. The TV Jones line up better. It has a Gotoh high mass bridge that is excellent. The pots are the small ones and would require some chiseling to make room for bigger pots. The body is basswood and is cut to a slab like a Tele and has a Tele bass headstock that looks really cool. The body has a belly and fore arm cut that I really like. The only thing I've done to it is change the strings and set up the intonation and string height. I play it twice a week, every week for one hour sets and I love it. So does the band. The input jack came loose once but it's a Tele cup (typical). I'm glad I didn't spend double the $$ for a MIM. Made in Indonesia.

17. boris bubbanov

I don't think there's any reason to expect uniform quality or manufacturing standards from one facility to another in Indonesia. Like China, each plant will be different and as likely as not, the difference could be radical. I've seen many many Indonesian guitars and some basses I'd be proud to own and others I just wouldn't want under any circumstances. Folks look for shorthand assistance in the shopping process but I am more convinced all the time; we as players and observers and tinkerers, must use our eyes and senses and cherry pick the instruments we want and there's never going to be a substitute for that.

Hey. Even when I had the contents of an entire pallet of black Squier 51s spread out on the floor of the store, picking out the best 15 or so of them, I was still very choosy since the range of quality was so evident. Even though I was only paying $ 69 per each. If a guy is still cherry picking at $ 69 each, what does that tell you? :^)

18. Cleeve

Cleeve Tele-Holic

Feb 19, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I like to think that people are happier in Capitalist countries, so they might make better toys. That said, the finish on my Fender Marauder made-in-P. R. C. is amazing at any price!

19. boris bubbanov

Anyone who owns a half dozen guitars should be happy no matter where they are.

But I think the real reason better guitars get made in the USA is simple. The workers genuinely know precisely what the end product is supposed to look and feel and sound and smell like, how it is supposed to age; how you use it and clean it and maintain it over time and this advantage is basically IGNORED by us know it alls on these boards. I am totally convinced that if Indonesian and Chinese guitar players, experienced worldly people could somehow make a few changes to the manufacturing process, that we'd be speechless at the result. Terrifying to think on it, for the guy who assembles his own guitars in his available time. He's irrelevant, were that to ever happen.

It is a radical oversimplification but there's some truth in this: The worker in the plant in Indonesia or China knows 90% of what the product should look like to sell well in the USA, Canada or France but they have basically no idea about that last ten percent. They have to guess; no one seems to want to help them. Maybe this is part of the plan, if you're an entrepreneur with a plant in the USA to protect. Maybe 5% more can be conveyed and the last 5% is never going to happen.

20. Cleeve

Cleeve Tele-Holic

Feb 19, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Boris-
    You hit upon the Cowboy Hat factor!
    That aesthetic of a couple of bits of felt, bent just so, can make a person look awesome, or like an idiot, simply due to the dimples etc in the shape of the hat. Some generic factory could get the hat sewn to spec, but would a guy who never saw a rodeo really know if the hat is right?

Now that i think about it, if i consider setup time and fret dress and electronic sorting done by me on my cheap guitars, they are really costing more than my "real" guitars- if time were money.
    But it's a hobby, so Indonesian guitars are fun!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.