Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Made in indonesia

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by ReaL Madras, May 1, 2013.

1. ReaL Madras

ReaL Madras Tele-Afflicted

Is it the general view that the made in Indonesia Squiers are of good quality and better guitars than their prices?

2. old guitar player

old guitar player Tele-Holic

My CV 50's tele was made in China and it is well made.

3. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Holic

Don't know if it's the general view, but it's my view. :grin:

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. 13ontheB

13ontheB Tele-Afflicted

That wasn't the question. INDONESIA! is the operative word.

To answer the question, They are not generally regarded as being fine instruments. :rolleyes:

6. Drewsome007

Drewsome007 Tele-Meister

My Squier Vintage Modified Tele w/Jazzmaster neck is made in Indonesia and it's absolutely a quality instrument. It plays better than my MIM '72 Thinline, and those are selling for upwards of $800 now, my VM Squier I bought new for $250 because it had a ding on the back of it from shipping.

7. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity

The only Squier I have is this one... a deryck... I got on local fleabay a few years ago...:)

I was surprised to see on the headstock that it was made in Indonesia?... I thought it would have been made in china or korea... I didn't know cortek had a Surabuya plant going and making "fenders" at the time..

I ended up using it to put these dog ears in..:grin:.. and was my second favourite guitar after that.... the neck is a beauty to play.... I'm wearing through the finish on the back, up the nut end.... :grin:

they all come out of CNC machines..... the neck is good maple, full C section, edges rolled a bit...... the body Agathis, I think, with the fit and finish as good as other Squiers, I guess...:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

8. fenson

fenson ---------------------------------

mine as well though I only have experenice with the VM line good stuff !!

9. fenson

fenson ---------------------------------

well I guess you told him eh!!!!!:rolleyes:

10. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

I've owned two and have a VM Jazzmaster coming in tomorrow. I like the Indonesian Squiers a lot.

11. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire

I've found Indonesian acoustic and electric guitars and ukuleles to be very good quality, especially for the price. Indonesia actually has a pretty long history of making guitars. Over 500 years I believe.

12. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

I own an Indonesian made Squier VM Tele Special--its a nice guitar, with as good attention to detail as my CV Strat.

The VM Squier gets more playing time than my Fender Tele.

13. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

G&L have their non-US guitars made there now. They're not considered too shabby at all. Wouldn't be surprised if both brands came out of the same factory, because Cort make em, as they do Squiers...

14. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Speak for yourself. The rest of us don't "generally" regard them as inferior. In fact the Samick factory enjoys a good reputation for long-term skilled employees. I have an Epiphone Joe Pass that's made in Indonesia and it's very nicely made with lots of detailing including multi-layer binding on the body, neck, and headstock.

Asian rim musical instrument production has shifted from Japan to China and Korea and now to Indonesia. The amazing thing is how we cannot come anywhere close in quality at that price point, and I'm not inviting a political discussion here but the point is that they are a great bang for the buck.

15. SackvilleDan

SackvilleDan Tele-Holic

I have an '01 Affinity Strat that was crafted in Indonesia... the hardware wasn't all that great, but the guitar itself is well built. It was my first electric and it's not going anywhere!

16. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

I was wondering where they were making the Joe Pass now that Korean stuff has gotten expensive--check out the new imported Guilds!

17. rhythmjones

rhythmjones Tele-Holic

I love my Vintage Modified Jazzmaster. A fine guitar at thrice the price.

18. TeleTexas

TeleTexas Tele-Meister

My Indonesian Teles are well made and keepers!

19. ReaL Madras

ReaL Madras Tele-Afflicted

Well I have a number of high end guitars and I just bought two. The Strat is especially nice.

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  20. RobG

RobG TDPRI Member

I recently purchased a new MII VM Squier Telecaster Deluxe for $260.95 and I love it...I can't put it down. lol The neck is very nice with a 12" radius and medium-jumbo frets, the wide range Fender humbucker pick ups and the belly cut body.

It stays in tune very well and it's fun to play...IMO, it's worth at least double what I paid for it.

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  21. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Fwiw, my '11 lite ash Tele is quite nice. Did need a little fret work & setup but the neck is real nice (playing & looking) & the SD Pro Alnicos sound outstanding to my ears.

Had a MII Squier Std Tele a few years ago and although heavy as heck, was pretty nice as well.

Lemons are out there but I think fewer & farther between. Most have upped their game.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.