Madbean Phaser

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by zippofan, May 20, 2019.

1. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

I've been building a lot of overdrives, boosts, compressors, EQ's, even an analog delay, but with the exception of the Zeppelin Quaverato, not much modulation. Funny since my first ever pedal back in the 70's was a DOD Phasor 201. I love the sound of a 2 stage phaser, but other than a Phase 90 that my son now has, I haven't messed with any 4 stage and up pedals. So, time to give that a try.

This is the Madbean "Stage Fright" 5/6 stage phaser, (based on the Maestro Stage Phaser) with the Uni-vibe mods installed (change 4 cap values). I was going to socket, but I figured what the heck. It's a pretty complex build with three LM13700 chips and a big board overall. I have it shoehorned into a 125B and it's still tight, enough so that I'm probably going to install the stomp switch sideways just to be sure I'm not shorting anything.

Finished the board the other night, made the decal and installed, it's drying now. I found the "Star Trek" font for laughs (phasers on stun!) on the usual orange colored box, but with a reverse black on clear decal.

Phaser_build.jpg

I just have to clear coat the decal and box it up, looking forward to something different.

Z

sirbergersworth likes this.
  2. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Holic

Looks great! Wow, that's a lot of chips in there.

zippofan likes this.
  3. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

Three transistors too!

Urshurak776 likes this.
  4. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Wait, sideways? Those are great phasers, I’ve built 2 or 3 myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

Yeah, I didn't get the jack holes drilled quite right, a little drift and I'm tight up against the switch. It was either scrap the box or fudge it a little. I'll post the boxed photo when it's completed and you'll see what I mean (as soon as the decal lacquer cures).
    I like to use 3PDT breakout boards and just got some nice ones from Madbean too, no way that will fit unfortunately. That's ok though cause I have three cool Madbean builds coming up!

Urshurak776 likes this.
  6. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

Boxed up and phasing:
    phaser_gut_shot.jpg phaser_top.jpg
    I love the LFO LED. You can tell how tight the switch/jacks are at the bottom, and that's after fudging the switch hole and jacks as much as I dare (that's why I'm using the white plastic washer, I usually don't like them). If I had the jacks 1/16" closer to the bottom of the enclosure I probably would have cleared, but the guitar plugs fit with the switch sideways.

I just have to tweak the trimmer a little for maximum depth and close her up. Definitely different from my 2 stage phasers, and I like it better than the Phase 90. It sounds really cool!

7. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Nicely executed. I’ve done jacks like that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zippofan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.