Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Machine heads for 3+3 straight pull

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Jackadder, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Jackadder

Jackadder Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2014
    West Australia
    Yep, planning a new build with a 3+3 headstock and keen to have 'straight pull' strings BUT want to get as close to the traditional Les Paul headstock look as possible.

The closest find on the webz showing the back of the headstock is this Thorn 'Mahalo' which I presume uses bass guitar tuners for the D & G?....I wrote to Sperzel about it but while waiting for a reply thought some of you good people might have already trodden this path and could offer some advice.

Thorn_Mahalo_Gilky_4_zpsfn4f6pqg.jpg

This Yamaha acoustic also looks the goods but is only pictured from the front - are those Sperzel buttons?

Yamaha_3_width_600.jpg

I've got Telecasters piling up all around and have another couple planned (help!), so thought it was time for another LP Special-ish build. A set of Firebirds are winging there way to Perth as we speak, have some lovely light mahogany, a spectacular gidgee top, Q-sawn walnut neck blank and a wandoo fretboard already lying in wait.....:p

2. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    Wouldn't "straight pull " depend on the angle of the head stock sides rather than bigger machine heads? The head stock I always use (just because I like the look of it) is angled from the nut to the top but using machine heads all the same size I think it would have to be built at an acute angle and very sharp on the end like a spear.

Does the "straight pull" idea have merit other than appearance?

Headstock.jpg

3. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    straight pull reduces tuning issues, les pauls can suffer from this and I've seen some weird but innovative solutions to combat it. Look up string butler.

4. Asmith

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    I've seen straight pull done with 3+3 designs but they're usually prs style headstocks. I'm not sure how yamaha pulled that off, most tuners won't have pegs don't stick out at those lengths, the first example is much more achievable.

5. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    I did and it's an ugly little doofa IMHO! :lol:

DC

6. Asmith

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    yes, they are so I'm sticking to my 6 inline ;) better design by miles (when using good string trees) unless of course you achieve what the op has set out to do

7. Jackadder

Jackadder Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2014
    West Australia
    I'd be doing it despite appearances, Dave! I reckon straight pull on a 3+3 looks weird, even when pulled off like on the Yamaha above.

I hope the tuning will be more stable; saw the string butler during my search and yes,

I would use one though, if it solved a problem.

The neck for this will be a bolt on, so happy to experiment.

8. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    You could also look at the Steinberger tuners, Firebird tuners, or banjo tuners. Little different look, but would work for an LP style headstock. You could also go LP outline but slotted internally so that you can use tuners for slotted pegheads. Additionally, you could, in theory, make little extenders on a metal lathe so that you can use any tuners you want to. I'm just thinking outside the box.

As to your original post, those don't look anything like bass tuners. But that pic does illustrate the need for careful planning to get straight pull on 3x3 while making sure the tuners fit without interfering with each other.

I_build_my_own and Jackadder like this.

9. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Dec 9, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Those Sperzel tuners in the first picture are just custom ones. They, Sperzel, offer different length spacers. see the first paragraph on this page:
    http://www.sperzel.com/custom-options.php

Sounds like another great build!

John Nicholas and Jackadder like this.

10. Jackadder

Jackadder Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2014
    West Australia
    Thank, Robert! If only I had read the Sperzel website properly :oops:.....will draw up a headstock and get some measurements to them.

11. olydj2000

olydj2000 NEW MEMBER!

Oct 3, 2017
    australia
    Hi there.

New to the forum.

Came across this post and thought I should comment.

I recently bought a set of Sperzel tuners direct and i can honestly say they were rubbish! Disappointing as I have used Sperzel's on two guitars previously and they were of a much better quality. Can only imagine quality control and manufacturing standards have dropped off.

One tuner did not operate correctly at all, and one of the custom buttons (why I ordered direct) broke on its very first turn! The other five tuners all felt rough in use.

Most disappointing though was the truly awful service i got from Ron at Sperzel. Would take too long to write the whole saga but basically at no point did Ron acknowledge or try to solve the issues. No apology was ever given and Ron even tried to deny ever receiving payment. This was ridiculous as it was plain to see on the Paypal account and all i had to do was contact my bank for verification.

After opening and then having to escalate a Paypal dispute I eventually got a refund.

Only mentioning all this as i would not want a fellow guitarist to have to go through all that I did.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.