Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mac or Windows (or other)?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hexabuzz, Dec 6, 2017.

Mac or Windows?

1. Mac

43 vote(s)
    46.7%
  2. Windows

26 vote(s)
    28.3%
  3. Both

10 vote(s)
    10.9%
  4. Other

13 vote(s)
    14.1%
  1. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    This exactly what I was trying to say above. And exactly what I did - even though I got the busted Mac for free.

I am now periodically cruising Craigslist for a well priced recent iMac. To me garage band is worth buying a used mac to get - and there is an add on program from the apple store for like $30-40 that has like 20GB of extra sounds and plug-ins.

2. raito

raito Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    My MacBook Pro needed more maintenance than any PC I've ever owned. Several batteries, keyboard replacement, etc.

Though I agree about systemd, I dislike both varieties of BSD. That's from having to track down various bugs that often end up being in the system itself somewhere.

Most of my dev work is emacs over SSH from Windows to Linux. But I have to make sure everything runs on the dozen or so OS's we deploy on. And the several browsers, too. Heck, we still have to support Solaris...

You might think so, but I don't consider it to be so. Neither do the bug lists at work. Then again, the stuff I work on gets pretty close to the OS.

3. grilldanmo

grilldanmo TDPRI Member

Nov 14, 2017
    United States of America
    Whatever is available and working. I prefer Macs, but I don't want to pay for them. Fortunately my current job has provided me with a MacBook that I can (and do) use at my discretion. I find Macs and PCs both do what I need them to do, just like Androids and iPhones. They are both great tools and, again, I'll use whatever's available and running smoothly.

Hexabuzz likes this.

4. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Well actually OS X has always been a Unix variant. BSD was the old kernel and then sometime around 2010 I think they switched to their own kernel called Mach. I’m not sure but I’m pretty sure that was the transition.

I spend a lot of the day in the terminal and it feels very much like any other *nix aside from the package mangers I might use for installing software through the command line.

The appeal to me was the ease of use and longevity between hardware upgrades.

5. GuitarRandy

GuitarRandy TDPRI Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Parker, Colorado
    I have a mid 2012 MacBook Pro that has been the most reliable, bulletproof computer I've ever owned. Added memory and an SSD drive and it still performs better than any new Windows machine in my family.
    I work in software professionally so I work in Windows all day long and go home to Mac! :)

Obsessed likes this.

6. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    +1. Using Linux since 2006 as a primary desktop plus servers. Prefer LXDE GUI as it's very slim on resources, runs a lot faster than XFCE which is faster than Gnome, KDE, etc and gets it all done. Converting that old and slow virus-filled PC into a new life with Linux is a great opportunity.

Audio tools I use:
    Audacity, TuxGuitar, LMMS, and:

Hydrogen drum machine
    [​IMG]

Rakarrack virtual guitar pedals
    [​IMG]

Guitarix virtual guitar amplifiers
    [​IMG]

Ardour DAW
    [​IMG]

Non-audio projects to check out:

LibreOffice office suite
    Gimp and Inkscape graphics

SolidSteak, hotpot and Hexabuzz like this.

7. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I married into a Mac with Garageband, so that's what I use.

As far as recording in general goes, I've deliberately avoided diving in too deep, because it takes away from playing time, which really is a precious commodity. I've had friends advocate for Reaper, and others, but I just prepare backing tracks for practice or sometimes for fun, and the direct-in approach with GarageBand works ok for me. Maybe 14 years ago, I had one of those little 4-track cassette recorders, but yeah, no.

If I really want to lay down some serious stuff, I have a recording engineer friend with a studio that lets me come in and he'll do all the tracking, we edit & mix together and so forth. No charge, he's a wonderful friend.

Hexabuzz likes this.

8. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Windows. I wish there were a PC version of Garage Band, but there ain't. I use Audacity and Kristal Audio Engine.

9. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

Sep 24, 2013
    The Hudson Valley
    Linux because it's free, fast, works and doesn't get hit with viruses.

hotpot likes this.

10. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    I love Hydrogen Drum Machine!

I have Mint 17 XFCE on one of my machines. I had Debian with Gnome but I like Mint better I think.

I could never get DAW stuff like Ardour or Rosegarden to work for some reason... I think because there was a problem with JACK. I might try Ardour again though.

11. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    Linux is just as vulnerable to malware as any other OS; it's just that most (all?) Linux distros have that extra step of entering the root password before making any changes to the system. But if a Linux user thinks they are installing a legitimate system upgrade and it's not, or it's from unofficial sources, boom. Infected with malware.

Heck, in 2016 an entire Linux distro was infected with malware, then put up on the official Mint Wordpress download page for anyone who wanted to install a modified OS to turn their computer into a DDOS bot.

But OTOH yes, many of the security vulnerabilities targeting Windows users do become irrelevant on a Linux system.

12. stratoblaster

stratoblaster Tele-Meister

Aug 2, 2006
    Scottsdale AZ
    Interesting how weighted the response of this thread is to Macs. Now I know the response is not representative of the statistics because Macs can't be used 2 to 1 over PC/Windows based machines. So it leaves me to wonder, are Mac users more likely to post in a thread to testify their allegiance? Or are Mac users more likely to play a Tele?

BTW I'm a SW Engineer in gaming and I use PC's and Linux. I have an iPhone and I actually like it even thought I avoid Apple products in general. We have artists that use Mac's and they seem to screw everything up. Not the Mac's, the artists. File formats, sizes, naming convention, storage etc. The Mac's just compound that problem for the Artist to Engineer handoffs.

13. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    Big difference between market share, and use for a particular purpose.

Why would you say that Macs can't be twice as prevalent in music related use?

14. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    Also, how is this Mac related, when you state that it is operator error. The Mac isn't screwing up the file, the user is.

I'm speaking from a perspective of getting dozens of files from outside sources every day in the printing industry, and the platform has nothing to do with the idiot operating it...

awasson likes this.

15. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Work: Windows - I'm a consultant and my clients invariably seem to use Windows-based.

Home: Mac - my main hobby is photography and, when my PC went a bit giddy a few years ago, I auditioned Mac against a state-of-the-art PC and using Photoshop and Lightroom seemed quicker and more stable on the Mac. It doesn't seem to make any difference when it comes to "Office".

16. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted

Dec 3, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    Which is better?

Better for what?

I use Windows, for a variety of reasons. One of which is that I a few years ago priced out an iMac and a Dell with the exact same CPU, RAM, and HDD, and the Dell was about 1/2 the price. I built my own PCs and you can't do that with Macs.

Price, of course, is not the only consideration.

The programs that I use that are related to my music work are:
    • Microsoft Visio - for creating amp schematics, component layout, face plate layouts, and stickers
    • Microsoft Word - for creating user manuals and invoices, and some graphics layouts
    • Microsoft Excel - for creating spreadsheets of parts lists and costs
    • PreSonus StudioOne - for multi-track recording
    • Audacity - audio editing and overdubbing
    • DigiTech X-Edit - for overdubbing and practicing
    • Corel Video Studio - creating and editing videos
    • Notepad++ - creating and editing HTML pages
    • Notepad - text editor
    Most of these I'm sure are available on Macs, although I have yet to see anything that compares with Visio.

17. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Meister

Jun 30, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Mac at work and at home. I do have an old laptop that I have set up with a dual boot to Windows or Linux (Ubuntu), just as a backup in case there is some software application that won't run on a Mac or if something goes kablooey with OS X. I never use it though.

18. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    Ummm... As per my original post, NOT about better anything...

"What do you use?

PLEASE let's not make this about which is better, or why..."

awasson likes this.

19. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Oct 16, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    If I had a powerful enough PC, I would probably run Linux and have Windows VMs for gaming, Linux / VMs for learning with prebuilt images, and Apple VM for developing iOS apps.

EDITED: MaOS is unsupported on platforms other than Apple. That is in my opinion the weakness of the Apple platform. You can run Winows or Linux VMs on Macs, but you can't run Apple OS VM on Windows or Linux PCs in a supported mode.

I like all three platforms, and would happily use them all, especially in a professional setting, but I cannot justify purchasing one of each for my personal use.

I use Windows, but have the capability to run VM through Oracle VM Virtualbox. I can't tell you the last time I booted up a Linux VM though.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017 at 11:13 AM

20. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    I use a MAC with Logic and GarageBand but also have Audacity loaded on my wife's laptop. I haven't updated
    to High Sierra yet....waiting for all the updates and bug fixes....The Windows 10 laptop just had a pretty big update
    and made some minor/subtle changes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.