Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mac or Windows (or other)?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hexabuzz, Dec 6, 2017 at 10:33 AM.

Mac or Windows?

1. Mac

43 vote(s)
    46.7%
  2. Windows

26 vote(s)
    28.3%
  3. Both

10 vote(s)
    10.9%
  4. Other

13 vote(s)
    14.1%
  1. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    Drummer in GB and Logic will actually adapt its patterns to follow an audio or software track of your choosing-it's not just loops or pre-recorded audio tracks.

awasson likes this.

2. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 26, 2008
    Albuquerque
    Mac...GarageBand is incredible. If it could record at 48 sample rate I'd use it for everything, (we're using Logic for the current project).
    This was recorded and mixed in GB.

awasson likes this.

3. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I like logic for the environment , I can recreate any midi device in it and script it into a track , and the on board effects are really great quality , tried protools and digital performer .....not the same.

I use reaper for the PC based VI's, and plugs i use , my PC is guitar amp emulations only

4. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2014
    Tokyo
    I would have said Mac, but all three of my Macbook Pros died within 3 months of each other. One had a meltdown, the other’s motherboard failed, the last had a keyboard glitch, and while getting a new keyboard, something else failed, leaving it inoperable. Now I’m using my 9-year-old HP Elitebook, and learning how to use Windows again.

Having all of my Macbooks die so quickly has made me reluctant to buy another. My old Elitebook is far older, and has many more hours of use, but still works perfectly. My last backup is a Panasonic Toughbook running Linux.

5. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

W7 and Audacity here....in a tower...

never had any apple gear... don't know anyone with any except iphones...:rolleyes:

6. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA

I certainly have... And I've owned it...

Have you ever owned GarageBand or Logic, which both have Drummer?

I guess not, since above you said you'd NEVER own an Apple product...

But as with my first post, this is NOT a Windows vs Mac thread... It's a survey... And you don't even seem to like my choices, so I'm sorry it's not more useful to you.

Everyone else seems to be playing nicely, and having a good discussion.

9fears08 and awasson like this.

7. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    And a whole lot more, right?

Drummer is fantastic, especially considering 95% of the features are included for free in GarageBand (and those that aren't are probably a bit much for someone just getting started, or just having fun in GB)

awasson and Frodebro like this.

8. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    The Drummer in GarageBand, and in Logic is worth the purchase price by itself. I get so much inspiration from just playing with that thing.

mgreene, awasson and Hexabuzz like this.

9. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    +1000

mgreene and awasson like this.

10. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Thats weird. How old are they? I’ve got a MacBook Pro from 2013 with the SSD. I bought it for work and surprisingly, it seems about as snappy as it was on day one. Mind you, it’s just got work stuff on it so it’s not bloated up like a personal compute would be.

I’ve got a 2009 iMac 27” with 16 gig ram and 1TB HD. It was my main workstation (I’m a software developer). In 2015 I thought it was getting long in the tooth so I bought a newer one with the super high res display, faster processor, 32GB Ram, etc... I took the 2009 model, reformatted it and reinstalled OS X. The thing is lightning fast and running strong. If I didn’t have the new one, I’d be just as happy using the old one.

My mom usually ends up as the recipient of my retired computer gear. She’s running the 2006 24” iMac we used for work from 2006 - 2012. Come to think of it, that’s a pretty good lifespan for a computer.

11. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    whatever... but DO get one with an SSD for the OS & your main programs

I like 5 second boot ups rather than 50

12. beagle

beagle Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2010
    Yorkshire
    Windows and Linux. Before that I used an Amiga.

13. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Holic

Feb 7, 2014
    Isle-of-Wight
    Interesting, if we concider that OS X is now Linux (or Unix because they are both the same thing at the end of the day) then added together they probably outrank windows10.

Obsessed likes this.

14. Dobronaut

Dobronaut TDPRI Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Leicestershire UK
    Sorry, forgot to vote. As we're talking about musical applications, it has to be other.

15. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2014
    Tokyo
    The oldest one was a 2011, the newest a 2013. Honestly, I loved my Macbook Pro enough that I bought 2 more, for what I do, they are wonderful machines. Right now I'm on my Elitebook 2760P, which is a "semi-rugged" notebook. The only thing I don't like is the smaller display, otherwise I would never have bought a Macbook. I don't keep files on my machines, they are uploaded to a separate SSD. Even Macs get slow when the drive is more than 90% full (I learned this the hard way).

I'll go ahead and order another Macbook Pro, I like them too much. I'll also put together another 2760P Elitbook, they seem indestructible, and if I don't get another one now, I may not be able to find them in the future.

16. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

Aug 15, 2013
    Lancashire UK
    I have Linux on all my PC's & use the Ubuntu Studio suite for recording/video editing.

[​IMG]

jvin248 likes this.

17. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    Well, it's not so much of a ranking as a user count of sorts, but now that you mention it I wonder what it would look like if servers were included as well as desktops.

18. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Question - if Macs are overpriced why do so many people use them?

My guess is they’re priced just right (Apple does pretty well) and people buy and like them.

When people can’t afford something (High end guitars/maps, genuine vintage gear, luxuary/sports car, etc...) it becomes “overpriced”.

No, macs are not overpriced. I get that some people prefer windows, Linux, etc... but that’s a preference not a price point.

19. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Holic

I've been a Windows user for over twenty years. My wife got a new Macbook earlier this year, and after observing its operation and how much she enjoys it (versus her old Windows laptop) I've decided my next computer will be a Mac.

Obsessed, noah330 and awasson like this.

20. Kriticaster

Kriticaster TDPRI Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Crete, Greece
    I started on an Amiga 500 back in the 80’s (I guess... I would have been 8 or 10 years old) was the **** at the time! People freaked about the sound and image quality... totally 8 bit by today’s standards... I tried to make music on composition software... not good...

Didn’t have my own computer for years... Then in my early 20’s I moved up to Windows, purchasing my first desktop machine... totally rebuilding it over the next 5 or so years... installed a wicked soundcard but that machine never really worked like it should... spent way more time tweaking and fixing rather than making music...
    Started with Fruityloops, then Ableton Live, Cubase and Premier (for video editing)

Then about 11 years ago moved to Mac and never looked back! (Boom boom)
    Much more stable, easy to use and integrated (eg. between mobile devices)
    I have had less time/intention for music creation over the last few years (getting serious about learning my instruments now thou) but have GarageBand, Ableton Live and some DJ software installed...

I have a 2013 13’ MacBook Air and still freak about how thin and stylish it is! Not to mention pretty fast for an old machine (by some standards)

When it dies I’ll replace it with the newest MacBook Air that I can afford...

I see no reason to return to PC at all...

YMMV of course...

Obsessed likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.