Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mac or Windows (or other)?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hexabuzz, Dec 6, 2017.

Mac or Windows?

1. Mac

44 vote(s)
    46.3%
  2. Windows

27 vote(s)
    28.4%
  3. Both

10 vote(s)
    10.5%
  4. Other

14 vote(s)
    14.7%
  1. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 22, 2003
    Georgia/Minnesota
    Macintosh since 1993 and our first Apple, a Macintosh LC 520 w/ a 25 MHz processor, 5 MB of RAM, a 80 MB hard drive and a 2X CD-ROM drive in a all-in-one case w/ 14" color display. That puppy was slow and accessing the internet in '93 was a cruel joke.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    noah330 and Hexabuzz like this.

2. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    I recently saw a demo on utube with a guy just plugging into Garage Band and "going" and it sounded great. I did some research and learned that Garage Band is considered the 21st century version of the portastudio.

I used to love my 4 track, tape sounded good and it took minimal action to start recording an idea - unlike monster programs like Sonar where a random glitch can take an hour to resolve and you end up asking yourself why you sat down at the computer in the first place instead of capturing your idea.

Around Thanksgiving, a friend of mine mentioned that she had a Macbook with a broken screen. I got it from her and figured out how to get it to recognize an external monitor. When I get time, I will start Garage banding - which to me is the ONLY reason to own a Mac.

awasson likes this.

3. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Linux. Personal choice, and I do some Linux development on the side. On my machines, I run Linux Mint and Ubuntu - my development efforts are Debian based.

My wife and daughter are Windows 10.

My son is ChromeOS.

scampos and jvin248 like this.

4. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Windows always, Audacity for sound manipulation and Presonus Studio One when I record (which is never these days).

5. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Oh yeah - music related. Audacity on Linux. I don't do a lot of music editing, so Audacity meets my needs. I also burn some CDs to Ogg-Vorbis format for my Android phone.

6. LP26

LP26 Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2017
    Earth
    I bought a Mac as soon as there was a Mac to buy... 1984.
    I've had no rational reason to leave the fold since.

Obsessed likes this.

7. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2014
    Arivaca AZ
    I've used them all. ( MSdos Zdos CPM Windows Os2 Solaris Linux Ecomstation etc.) But I don't waste my money on Apple products anymore. To much money for negligible gain.

If I bought Apple I'd STILL have to load windows in it to meet Tax Filing requirements for my business.

I've always used Linux for music recording and production.

scampos likes this.

8. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    If you think GarageBand is the equivalent of a portastudio (4 tracks, record/play, punch in/out, EQ and that's about it...), you will probably be quite surprised at how deep and sophisticated a DAW it is.

If you haven't already, you should really check out the many videos and instructional material there are on it.

Plus it has Drummer, which is pretty much a unique entity unto itself - Not sure where else you could even buy an intelligent drum track composer app...

Not to mention that it's free...

That's all I'm going to say, since I don't want this to be any sort of Mac Vs PC thing...

awasson likes this.

9. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    Mac for me. Every windows PC ive ever owned had to be serviced at least once a year to keep in tip top shape. I had a MacBook Pro for over 9 years. It saw the inside of a shop 1 time in that time frame for a new battery. I’m now in a situation where I have to use a PC with some regularity and I’m getting ready to throw it out a window.

Obsessed and Hexabuzz like this.

10. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    U are making it a PC vs Mac - or you have somewhat poor reading and comprehension skills

:D

Just kidding - what I was laboring to say was that the designed-in convenience and ease of use of Garage Band is awesome compared to the cumbersome nature of a full professional DAW. ;)

Hexabuzz likes this.

11. DougM

DougM Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I will NEVER buy ANY stupidly overpriced Apple product, no matter how awesome it is.

scampos, jvin248 and mgreene like this.

12. PC_Hater

PC_Hater TDPRI Member

Aug 13, 2013
    UK
    The hardware is mainly very good quality so buy used. It will work very well indeed until Apple decide it is too old and they stop supporting it.
    And that is why my 2006 iMac runs devuan linux with Audacity for audio work.
    I would run one of the BSDs but there is a bug that stops audio from working.

My servers run BSD, my laptop runs debian unstable but sometime soon Plan A is to get rid of linux and use only BSD.
    systemd is a shockingly bad development in linux.

Obsessed and noah330 like this.

13. beninma

beninma Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    A little bit of everything.

For almost everything non-technical that I can get away with at home I just use my iPad.

I have a home built windows PC that is pretty beefy but is also getting long in the tooth, and I have a 16TB Synology NAS which technically is a Linux ARM computer. I also have an 11 year old Mac Pro that is currently dead and needs a new Hard drive. It is likely just getting recycled but I need to get the still functioning drives out of it and wipe them.

I'm a software engineer, all the "real work" has been on Linux for a long long time probably close to 10 years now for me. But for most of that time we used Macs (Macbook Pros) for our personal machines at the various places I've worked.

As of a month ago I switched to a Linux laptop. It is a PITA in a lot of ways in terms of having some user interface issues and bugs around some of the UI stuff. I would not recommend it for a non-technical user for sure. But it absolutely is better than the Mac for my software development work since the products I work on are intended to run on Linux instead of the Mac. Some of the software is way faster, the package managers work better, and since it's not Apple hardware I was able to get a laptop with 32GB of ram, which is really, really nice. Apple is refusing to sell more than 16GB and you basically can't even set up all the dev tools + run the product in 16GB without using up all the physical RAM and having things slow down some.

14. PC_Hater

PC_Hater TDPRI Member

Aug 13, 2013
    UK
    I use only debian at work, writing software. Are you using gnome or kde? Don't, more trouble than they are worth. I find xfce with 6 desktops suits me, and mainly we work on the command line using sshfs but being lazy I use gvim for coding. Not a big fan of IDEs such as eclipse.

Try ctwm for the minimalist experience! xfe does your file management. use gvim or emacs. ( in my heart I love emacs, but for day to day use I always end up with gvim.) I can use bog-standard plain old vim but try not to.

15. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    [​IMG]

16. Dobronaut

Dobronaut TDPRI Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Leicestershire UK
    For the boring mundane stuff I use windows. For music I'm using Auria on ipad. It's wonderful, and portable. I use a focusrite itrack doc for tracking. I'm having the time of my life, and actually getting releaseable quality work done.

17. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    Thanks for participating, but does that mean "Windows" or "other"?

18. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Tele-Meister

Nov 28, 2016
    Virginia, USA

19. Telesphere

Telesphere Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2005
    The Telesphere
    Always been a Mac user, but not solely. I've never bought a Mac new, although I had my first one, a Lime iMac, bought for me, when they were first released. Since then, I've had another freebie, this time an unloved eMac at a paper I contributed to. After that, it was a white iMac, then a 1st gen mac Mini and currently on a 2012 Mini. In 2009, I got a 2006 MacBook Pro, which I semi-regularly boot into Windows 7 for a particular application.

Strictly speaking, I probably should have voted 'both', but as it's only very occasional use, and given my past record, it's more representative to go Mac only.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017

20. DougM

DougM Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    For lack of any useful "other", Windows. There are a lot of things to admire in Macs, but they're too overpriced, and too proprietary. But in your praise of GarageBand, you say it's the only intelligent drum composer. I guess you've never heard of Band in a Box.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.