Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mac or Windows (or other)?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hexabuzz, Dec 6, 2017.

Mac or Windows?

1. Mac

44 vote(s)
    46.3%
  2. Windows

27 vote(s)
    28.4%
  3. Both

10 vote(s)
    10.5%
  4. Other

14 vote(s)
    14.7%
  1. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    What do you use?

PLEASE let's not make this about which is better, or why...

Just curious as to what the breakdown is.

I'm interested more in what you're using for music related applications, but feel free to respond about your general usage.

2. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Can I say DOS?

Audacity for sound editing.

3. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    You can say "other"... I won't judge...

uriah1 likes this.

4. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    Mac for me. I got the Mac specifically for Garage Band (which I think is great), though I “upgraded” to Logic (also great). These work well for me, as I tried Reaper and found that I spent more time trying to figure out how to use it than I did making actual recordings.

Hexabuzz likes this.

5. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Mac. I switched 8 years ago after maybe 15 years on Windows. Using Garage Band mostly. I’ve got logic too but GB is quick to get going when inspiration strikes. Used to use Cakewalk Pro audio on Windows back in the day.

Hexabuzz likes this.

6. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    Linux for the desktop, Linux for the laptop, Android for the 'phone and set top box. Audacity for audio stuff.

scampos and jvin248 like this.

7. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    Evolution of desktop OS market share since 2002 according to German website ComputerBase
    [​IMG]

I end up using most of them at some point for something or other.

8. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    Mac for about 15 years. I switched because of my wife’s propensity to click on things without thinking, but found I really liked OSX. I even used it along with MS Office for Mac to do some consulting work with my old MS-based company when I retired. That was workable enough.

I do like GB and the general OSX usability.

Hexabuzz likes this.

9. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    Mac User since 2004. Logic user since 2008.
    Couldn't be happier with both.
    I once used several plug-ins to augment Logic but now all I have is EZ Drummer. The core effects in Logic are more than sufficient.
    On the pure OS side, MacOS is easy to use and very stable. I ditched Office Excel, Word last year and converted to Pages and Numbers. Numbers is not as robust as Excel but more than adequate for my needs. Oh yeah, no cost for Pages, Numbers or iMovie, etc. A lot of value in MacOS

Hexabuzz likes this.

10. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Mac user since before the Mac came out :)cool:). Is there really anything else?:confused: GarageBand is what got me into serious songwriting. Now, I have a designated MacBook for the recording studio.:)

Hexabuzz likes this.

11. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Mac user since the mid 1990s. I've had PCs over the years.

I use ProTools HD with a 2012 i7 MacMini. They made a really powerful mini for a very short time and sold it as a server. I bought this one for about $500 and have an expansion chassis for my HD core card.

Runs like a champ. I don't even think about it. I don't do much else aside from Photoshop on it.

I have an i7 MacBook Pro (2013) and an original 2006 MBP I surf on.

I did go through a period when I was using Nuendo on a PC. It worked fine but I spent more time optimizing things and turning stuff off than I did making music. Some people like building computers and if you're into that all the power to you. For me it's not that fun.

12. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    I just bought a late 2012 2.6ghz i7 Mac Mini server with a 256GB SSD, strictly for music creation and performance use. It is a beast.

noah330 likes this.

13. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    A real sleeper. When my MacPro was on its way out I didn't know what to replace it with. I didn't want a trash can or a PC. Didn't want an iMac because I wanted to use my own monitor.

Someone pointed me over to these. I have 2 SSDs in mine and love it. Even with buying the chassis it was super affordable.

14. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    I had known about these for a while, and wanted one, and finally pulled the trigger when my 2009 iMac died.

It has everything, with USB3, Firewire, AND Thunderbolt. It's a great all in one design. I'm going to add a second internal SSD, but I love it.

Just bragging to a coworker today that the latest version of Adobe Illustrator takes 4 seconds to launch. Startup, from pressing the switch to being up and running is 18 seconds.

noah330 likes this.

15. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    I did the second SSD myself (actually bought the machine used and changed both drives).

It's not that hard to do but seeing as how you have the Server version the adaptor for two drives should already be in there.

16. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Mac here... been a Mac family for about 8 years. The few times a year I need to test software on a PC I'll pull up Windows in a VM, but since most of my dev is web-based I just use BrowserStack to test that. Nothing wrong with other platforms... people should use what they like best and what best meets their needs... for me that is Mac.

bblumentritt and Hexabuzz like this.

17. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    Yep, ready to go for a second drive. It doesn't really worry me, considering on separate occasions I replaced the hard drive and the power supply on my iMac. Now THAT was an adventure...

noah330 likes this.

18. raito

raito Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    Um, all?

At work, I regularly use at least a dozen different OS's. And I don't mean different versions.

At home, we have various Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android. At least 1 device is running VxWorks under the hood. I wouldn't be surprised if something else is running QNX. Not that I work on the last 2.

Add to that the various PIC, Atmel, and Z80 processors on the bench. No OS to speak of on those, though.

I do need a new laptop, though. First-gen Macbook Pro's battery finally went jiffy-pop. Typing on Android, even with a keyboard, is a pain.

19. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Holic

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    At home it's Mac for me, when I was a freshman in high school my family switched from Windows. At work it's all Windows (SolidWorks and SEE mostly). My drummer uses Reason on his windows desktop when we record. I have no experience with audio software beyond GB so I don't know if Reason is a good choice or not but he really likes it. I'm sure some day I'll get myself some editing software and it will surely be on a Mac :)

20. 9fears08

9fears08 Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2016
    Bristol, UK
    Only use Mac cos that what work give me and I don’t have my own computer. If it were my money I’d go Chromebook..just cos it’s cheap and it’d do what I needed..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.