Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Luthier neck tighten sustain trick

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Carzee, Dec 11, 2008.

1. louis cyfer

louis cyfer Former Member

Oct 1, 2010
    arcadia
    you got some of it why it works. for the rest see my previous post. isn't it amazing that how few people understand physics? you were right on saying that properly seated necks will not experience any change. others will.

2. orangedrop

orangedrop Friend of Leo's

Aug 20, 2010
    New York
    :eek:This, from the man who has realized that no finish, an oil finish or a wipe on finish done ultra thin will allow the body to resonate more freely than wrapping it in a crust of filler and finish... Be it only a few thousandths of an inch?:lol:
    Rob,
    A tight butt join will improve energy transfer between the neck and body's end grain and increases the contact area.
    I take it you would at least agree that more firm neck to body contact is a good thing?

3. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    well, i guess you think you have all the right answers to all the right questions. good for you!

4. mike shaw

mike shaw Tele-Holic

Nov 1, 2009
    Illinois
    My gut feeling is that IF you do hear / feel a difference after doing this, your neck mounting screws were drilled incorrectly. By pulling the neck towards the body with string tension you are likely getting it to seat properly but your neck screws probably won't be perfectly perpendicular to the body.

5. louis cyfer

Oct 1, 2010
    arcadia
    not the neck mounting screws, but the holes in the body for those screws. it is the loosening of the screws that does the tightening, rather than the string tension.

6. Rob DiStefano

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    ah, a few voices that steer us back towards the path of sober reasoning.

get the neck heel to mate as well as possible (without getting anal) to the body neck pocket. i always redrill body pocket holes larger than the neck screw diameter, to allow neck alignment tweakability, which arises more often than not.

a tight fit into the neck pocket only means a loss of tweakability/alignment of the strings to the sides of the fingerboard. not to mention finish cracking from the stress.

shim the neck to change the angle as need be for both action and playability - don't let anyone tell ya it'll kill 'tone', they dunno what the h3ll they're talking about.

and now, since someone pointed a finger at me, some words about body finish. in a perfect world, with perfect body wood, keep the finish from allowing the good resonant, light body wood to do it's nice, acoustic thing - so, don't put on a lotta finish. the caveat to this might be uber light body wood (eg, paulownia), since a hard finish (thick or thin) might not be a detriment to its sound conductivity. but hey, it's all an experiment of sorts, and (MOST IMPORTANT) body finish is NOT a make-or-break deal with solid body guitars.

in all cases, it's still *your* brain, fingers and pickups that count most for *your* 'tone' .....

have fun, folks!

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Rob, I think by selecting paulownia for bodies, you've more or less defaulted on the whole issue. Your concept of what role the wooden body is to play in the entire guitar construction is just dramatically different from the traditional weight and type of guitar body. The model that I subscribe to. The model that "does some of the playing and producing of tone" for me so I don't look so inept playing - having to supply all my own tone.

So sure, if one is gonna use paulownia, don't do this heel adjustment trick without thinking because this is all uncharted waters and has nothing to do with Teles as I understand them.

8. Rob DiStefano

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    yer missing my point and it applies to any solid body bolt on neck guitar.

yes, i have an affinity for paulownia but use many more woods than just that, including alder, ash, pine, poplar, mahogany, sassafras, hickory, birch, cedar and a bunch i've forgotten - all routed out from either 1 or 2 pc planks. use whatever ya want for a body, wood, plastic, metal - if delivers what ya want, cool. just mate the neck to the body as well as you can - not rocket science .... or mojo.

9. jjfatz42

jjfatz42 Tele-Holic

Jun 12, 2010
    Oklahoma
    This works. Just did it to a CV 50's tele. I got this guitar brand new a couple of weeks ago. Set the action to my taste, & gigged with it Friday & Saturday night. The tele came through in flying colors. The week after the gig I worked the night shift at my "real" job, & had the tele with me. Man I was flat working it out "unplugged." When playing unplugged I noticed a kind of weird buzz. Not string buzz, but just kind of strange vibrations. I had read about this technique here, & was intrigued.

I just did the "neck tighten trick" after re-stringing, & the weird buzz/vibration is gone. Replaced by a VERY deep resonance. I can feel the thing vibrating in my gut!

It makes sense to me, that this would work, but I can also understand some people not seeing (or feeling) a difference if their neck was already seated very good.

10. louis cyfer

Oct 1, 2010
    arcadia
    you said it right. redrill the body pocket holes. that's what my tech does and the neck is aligned and super tight. he is also tech for christopher cross and ej among others.

11. elams1894

elams1894 Tele-Meister

Jun 22, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    You could always get rid of the problem all together

Attached Files:

12. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Some believe and some don't...been like that for years and I don't expect it to change neither.

13. teleup

teleup Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Apr 22, 2010
    between Milwaukee and Chicago
    yup, G&L owners guide

14. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

Feb 28, 2010
    Jersey Shore
    wow long assed thread, very interesting. Can't resist trying.

15. Carzee

Carzee Tele-Afflicted

Wow, my thread's now been going 3 yrs last Christmas. I still believe. This afternoon I'm putting on a neck and I will faithfully carry out the ritual. :D

16. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

Feb 28, 2010
    Jersey Shore
    ok..tried it on my 2007 52 Reissue. Got a very slight almost inaudible creak and a very small pitch decrease (much less than a 1/2 step) sound is no worse, better maybe, can't tell yet.

Next my 73. No creak or groans and still tuned to pitch when I re tightened. Sounded good before, sounds good now.

Next the Kirn....couldn't do it, in Ron I trust. There is a label in the 52's pocket or on the neck heel, may address that in the future. Amazing how fender puts a sticker on the heel, if I remove it does the mojo decrease?

I'm assuming the two I tried where pretty damm good to start with.
    [​IMG]

17. Telemach_1

Telemach_1 Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2009
    Somewhere in the woods of
    Those stickers are sound killers IMO. I take a shot w. my cam and then remove them completely. Check for the neck pocket to be even. I had a MIM Esquire that had a bad pocket bottom. There was a visible gap between the neck and the pocket. Sounded so much better after the removal of the sticker and after straighten it out w. the help of a pro luthier who had the right router for the job.

18. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    When I put my "mule" partscaster back together after removing the bridge,filing it flat while I was at it and restringing I got very little sustain .The instrument sounded much deader than usual unplugged and plugged in .It usually has buckets of it being a Paulowonia body,virtually as vibrant and loud as my thinline ..Couldnt think what to do so I put the guitar over my knee at joint area,put some pressure on the neck while holding the body (not too much pressure !)jerk it and voila ...much better .Seemed to sync the whole guitar back to how it was .I retuned and played away .Although I hadnt touched the neck screws for some reason the guitar had settled down after the work done on it .strange but true .

19. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Musicalmartin, Guitar Chiropractor!:D

Gee, this zombie's got legs....

20. Scotty 2

Scotty 2 Tele-Holic

Jun 22, 2007
    Ft.Pierce,Florida
    This is no joke,,it's true My 95 AM STD tele has so much resonance,the vibes from
    the neck actually make the palm of my hand tickle.Some times I just have to take
    my hand away and rub it a bit.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.