Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Luthier neck tighten sustain trick

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Carzee, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Carzee

Carzee Tele-Afflicted

Help please..

I am searching for a thread with posts mentioning a little ol luthier neck tighten and get more sustain trick from sometime this month or late last month.

Tune up, slacken neck plate screws, re-tune, tighten neck plate screws again = better sustain.

I shoulda bookmarked it.:oops::oops::oops:

2. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

That's a New one on Me...........:rolleyes:.....:rolleyes:

3. Carzee

Carzee Tele-Afflicted

As I remember it was just mentioned in a thread that was related somehow. I just want to check I got it the right way 'round.

4. BritishBluesBoy

BritishBluesBoy Former Member

Oct 19, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I see broken pieces of wood and metal in your future if you try that...

5. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 31, 2007
    victoria b.c. CANADA
    I don't imagine there's much of a trick. It just makes common sense that if the neck is firmly contacting the pocket there would be more energy transfere between the neck and body which would result in more sustain.
    I didn't read the post you're refering to but my guess is that just having the neck appropriately but not aggressively tightened is the basic idea that was put forth.

That's my best guess.

6. KCKC

KCKC Tele-Afflicted

Aug 10, 2008
    Hingham, MA
    I read the same thread! I thought Boris had chimed in on that one, either hearing of it or trying it?

kc

7. blsplyr

blsplyr Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2006
    WNY
    Tune to pitch, loosen neck screws a quarter turn, guitar will go flat. Re tune to pitch and neck will pull tightly to pocket, Align neck and re-tighten screws. Guitar will now be sharp, re-tune to pitch. Here's the link:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=456627

8. Carzee

Carzee Tele-Afflicted

I hope I did it right from memory.
    I did it on the Classic Vibe Tele, and (maybe because its a pine body), unplugged, the ring is fantastic, the body transfers vibes to your leg etc when sitting. And I haven't even swapped out the bridge or saddles - maybe I won't bother doing that at all.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008

9. rocksteady Max

rocksteady Max Tele-Afflicted

sounds to good to be thru :)

10. Carzee

Carzee Tele-Afflicted

Thx for that link. I thought it was mentioned here somewhere. Bookmarked!

I backed out the screws one third of a turn and got a creak etc as per the thread..

I thank you bigtime.

11. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 27, 2006
    GA
    It might work and it might be safe but I'll never do it. Edit: After reading all the positive results in this thread I'll have to reconsider. Maybe I'll try this after all.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008

12. rocksteady Max

rocksteady Max Tele-Afflicted

That's a bold statement lmao :D

13. casterway

casterway Friend of Leo's

I saw this exact technique in a G&L booklet that accompanied one of their guitars. I think they said half pitch, then slacken screws, tighten screws, then tune to pitch.

14. red57strat

red57strat Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Oct 4, 2003
    Massachusetts
    I do that every time I have the neck off. Been doing it for many year with no problem. I don't re-tune while it's loose though. Just tune, loosen all 4 screw 1/4 turn, re-tighten and re-tune.

Does it increase sustain? I don't know.

15. mojo2001

mojo2001 Tele-Holic

Feb 5, 2008
    DC
    Well I just did four guitars. AMAZING improvement.

Especially on two of the four. One I play almost every day and it seems twice as alive now.

Degree of improvement seems relative to how far out of tune the guitar slips when the screws are loosened, which makes sense I suppose.

What a great trick!

Try it ye doubters!

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I wuz doing it with most of the tension out of the strings, primarily to get necks realigned in the pockets. I explained my technique back in early 2007 at the 51 Modder's Forum.

The thread you are thinking about is about the technique used by WalterW over at TGP. He did not start the thread, someone else thanking him did and it is an active thread I believe. He loosens each bolt a quarter turn, and it is easier to do on right handed guitars IF you are actually left handed or at least handy with a screwdriver in your left hand. It really helps some guitars.

17. casterway

casterway Friend of Leo's

Attached Files:

18. twangcaster1

twangcaster1 Friend of Leo's

Feb 28, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    That actually makes a lot of sense.

19. graphs

graphs Tele-Afflicted

Jul 10, 2007
    Toronto
    I did it a couple weeks back after reading that other thread. It definitely creaked and went a hair flat but I can't say as I notice much difference. Anything that makes it more snug can't hurt though.

20. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Well I'll be damned.
    I did it on both my Fenders, they both went quite flat and now when I play them unplugged, I feel noticeably more vibration in the body and neck, and they sound fuller.
    I haven't plugged them in yet.
    Cool.
    Now...the trick is to let the guy at the guitar store do it before your next purchase!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.