Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Lusting For a Super Reverb

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Buzzin_Cousin, Dec 3, 2017.

1. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I don't think I'd want to stand in the way of an amp you wanted, Keith. :D

I stick to the SF amps, thus far, and I totally sweated every detail on the first one. And in the process, lost two perfectly good ones simply because I was a pain in the butt.

I soon realized that these amps are mostly unkillable, and the only things I really need are a solid cab that didn't get tossed from a moving pickup truck - well maybe up to 20 mph - these cabs are tough. And original transformers. A speaker that I like, vintage is nice, but sometimes they're worn out. Original glass is nice, but sometimes noisy and ready to be replaced after all these years.

As long as I have the pics to confirm these things, and there are no obvious mod horrors like the ones you've been showing us, I know my top dollar, and start offering with that as a hard stop.

I think it's probably different for you, with all those hard-to-find amps that find you. Super collectible, everything's a potential issue. There are a zillion of these SFs. Miss one, another one comes along.

keithb7 likes this.

2. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    Black Line ya say???

[​IMG]

Ahhh, Blue Caperoos?

[​IMG]

Ahhhh...

That said, I'm guessing the CBS Cap change was no different that earlier Cap changes...technology, probably a method to the madness behind the circuit redesigns too, be it better or worse.

keithb7 and moosie like this.

3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Noice...

I've always felt that the CBS engineers may have meant well, and they more or less continued Leo's quest to get the loudest cleanest amp. But they didn't have his ear. Leo didn't play, but he had golden ears...

4. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Canada
    @deytookerjaabs that's the one. Nice, very nice. Black Line Drip. Joe B's next song title.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.