Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Lusting For a Super Reverb

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Buzzin_Cousin, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Yeah....every Vox AC30 I have picked up has weighed more than I thought it was worth to carry, too. (;^)
    Back in those darkly physical times, there were men around who could carry their own weight, ....maybe more, even!!

That Super Six is probably the heaviest amp based on the Twin Reverb chassis that Fender built. The quad REverb is probably close behind. I would think that perhaps the next heaviest would be the Super Twin and Super Twin Reverb.....6 x 6L6's and 180 watts. The Super Twin reverb amp yields the best SRV tones with a strat that I have heard in a straight out of the box Fender amp. I Did not know this when I played it and heard and thought what I think about the sonics....but...that amp is also ultralinear. It was anything but thin and harsh..even in the clean modes. rich, solid, punchy.....

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Well, to each their own - and who mentioned tweed? I wish you lived up my way, and had the time. I would have loved to GIVE you the amp in exchange for walking me through the mods and the theory first hand. :)

I think we've had this discussion before. I thought I might like the JBLs in my 69 Twin, turns out I didn't care for them. So, one's in storage for now, and one's in my DR, where it does sound quite nice, IMO.

3. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2013
    United States
    Thanks for your help thus far guys. I'm watching this vintage amp doc right now. Pretty educational.

4. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    @Buzzin_Cousin, if you're interested in a combination of history, anecdotes, photos, and amp design, Soul of Tone is a great book. You definitely don't need to be a tech to enjoy it.

The Soul of Tone, by Tom Wheeler

Fender: The Inside Story by Forrest White.

Fender: The Golden Age by Martin Kelly.

Fender: The Sound Heard 'Round the World, by Richard Smith.

These are all on my shelves, all read more than once. I tried to identify a favorite, and I can't. Except Soul of Tone, because you're specifcally interested in the amps. But these books are all worth your time.

If you get to the point where you want to see some schematics and layout diagrams, they're all readily available online, as well as information on how to date these amps, and some common modifications.

Fenderguru.com might be a decent starting point, but there's a lot more.

If you want to understand how they work, head to member @robrob's site: https://robrobinette.com/How_Amps_Work.htm

robrob and keithb7 like this.

5. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Canada
    I also own all those books. Great reads for those who are nuts about the early Fender years. In my opinion anything pre-75 deserves a spot in my collection.

I just realized, pretty well all the fender amps with layout diagrams. Lol. After ‘75 was there only schematics?

Getting back to the Super R. I rebuilt and played a 1965 BF. I have owned a 1969 and a 1971. All were awesome. They sound excellent. Their bulk and awkward carry positions seems to be their only downfall.

Epic classic Fender tones. I do hope another one crosses my path some day. I’d love to own another again.

moosie likes this.

6. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Come to this side of the border, Keith. I'm having to swat them away, as I try to avoid getting the stereo pair to the first one. The few I like are all around $800. It does seem like the price of these has jumped a bit in the last year or so. Maybe we should stop writing about them? :lol:

keithb7 likes this.

7. Tele5015

Tele5015 Tele-Meister

Dec 29, 2015
    Holton,Michigan
    IMO the Super Reverb is the best amp Fender ever made. The cleans are jangly and powerful. The natural overdrives produce a deep growl. I have a '69 and It is the best amp I own.

8. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    I just did a little trade and came out with this'un'rite'hurr:

[​IMG]

Wawaweeewaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

rebelwoclue, moosie and keithb7 like this.

9. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville

A while back I was headed towards the east coast for a little visit, so I perused various craigslists all over the northeast when bored, I could not believe the amount of great Fender amps and great guitars at solid prices. If I ever get a pile of cash I'm just going to get a weekly hotel up that way and bring a van!

moosie likes this.

10. Jimmy Owen

Jimmy Owen Tele-Meister

Apr 2, 2017
    Moravian Falls, NC
    Thanks—the strat has been with me more than 3 decades. It is a real 54 that was professionally refinished in the 70s (not by me). Some other prior owner had taken a can of spray paint to the original sunburst.

But if it were still in original condition, I couldn’t have ever owned it or felt comfortable gigging with it.

Peace
    Jimmy

moosie likes this.

11. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Canada
    @moosie alright. I’m officially starting my search for another. Tonite.

My choice? Drip edge. Black line would be nice. Budget $800 USD. We shall see... I just rounded the corner. I’m ready to put up the funds and bring another one home.

moosie likes this.

12. nocastermike

nocastermike Tele-Meister

Apr 25, 2015
    ma
    My 66. Its magical sounding.

Attached Files:

moosie likes this.

13. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Happy hunting!

I've got a drip in my sights for under that budget, not black line, though. But in other TDPRI news recently, it appears I just spent all available cash on a (nother) Gibson 335 that Chicago Music Exchange is basically liquidating for Gibson. The Gibson deal seemed more timely. Supers will still be available in the spring.

keithb7 likes this.

14. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    You just go on back home, ya hear? Don't need no poachin' muther snuffers hangin' 'round here no way, huh uh.

Gorgeous drip ya got there. Maybe I'll just pay a visit down south... :twisted::lol:

nocastermike likes this.

15. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Canada
    Just found a drip SR for $945. Not good enough. Next!

moosie likes this.

16. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Sometimes people do haggle ya know. I mention this because you're obviously new to this whole amp thing.

:rolleyes::lol::lol::lol:

keithb7 likes this.

17. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Canada
    Yes they do often negotiate. I’m a mo-fo grinder too. Once I zone in on the one I want.

I pull the chassis and git ‘ta gittin on all the unfortunate things inside the amp. If I am not permitted to pull the chassis I walk. No matter how low it’s priced.

I’ll say no one here will sell me an amp. Nor would I buy one from anyone I knew or liked.

The hunt is so fun.

moosie likes this.

18. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2013
    United States
    Drip
    Drip edge
    Black line?

Say what?

moosie and keithb7 like this.

19. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2013
    United States
    Lol I used to negotiate this way. It is fun, but you have to have the mindset....the one you have and the one I used to have...

20. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    We could tell you, but then we'd have to kill you.

Oh, okay...

SFs began in mid 67. For the first year they were really BF amps, with a new faceplate, nothing more. Hidden gems. Signified by these odd thin vertical black lines on the faceplate. Probably alignment marks of some kind that got printed in error. We could always look inside to tell what's what, but assuming the faceplate is original, this is a handy telltale.

During the whole period from mid 67 through mid 69 (a year longer), the grille cloth is rimmed with aluminum strips, not unlike the drip edging you might find on a clad window, on your house. Look at @deytookerjaabs' recent score, above.

So, with drip, sans black lines, very likely dates to mid 68 through mid 69. During this period, CBS beancounters began to change a few things, not for the better. The beloved blue molded caps went away. The circuit changed, going to bias balance from truly adjustable bias, and more. But they're still really close to the blackface ancestors.

The next phase, beginning roughly mid 69 (I think) involved more circuit changes (depending which amp we talk about). And the baffle construction changed from 'floating' to fixed. So, all drip edges have the floating baffle, like the BF amps. All later amps do not.

As with everything Fender, there are no hard dates separating these events, so it's possible that some non-drips have floaters, I guess. Fender would use parts on multiple assembly lines, from bins. It's possible that one line is producing the older way, while other lines have run out of those parts, and are on to the new design. So, use a fuzzy lens.

By mid 70, the cloth wiring was replaced with vinyl, though it was still pretty neatly done. By 72 or so, it looked like a madman had done the work. Rat's nest. Funny thing, though, for all we are concerned with wire dress, most of these amps still sound fantastic.

If anyone sees errors, please correct me.

robrob likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.