Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Lusting For a Super Reverb

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Buzzin_Cousin, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2013
    United States
    Great point, thanks.

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I don't. Just sold it.

It was the first amp my son bought as a teenager. Not bad. We've had it for 15 years, and it served as our representative Super until I got the 71 a year ago. It's a nice amp, but I don't like to work on the PCB amps, and for whatever reason, it just didn't sound as good.

I'm not saying hand wired sounds better. I don't know that. I just know that this reissue sounds decent, and this handwired one sounds much better. I hate to work on the PCBs, otherwise I might have tried to tweak it a bit. Just no fun.

EDIT: In this case, I'm pretty sure a big part of the difference is the speakers.

Buzzin_Cousin likes this.

3. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

The tilt back legs and mid control knob are great features.

moosie likes this.

4. archetype

archetype More tone than talent Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    But... if playing at home, a Vibrolux (I assume this is a Vibrolux Reverb) is still going to be gigging loud at breakup. I say this as a former BFVR owner. They're great amps, though, and easier to gig with because they're smaller and lighter than an SR.

5. blues bondsman

blues bondsman Tele-Holic

Feb 12, 2012
    Indiana
    This conversation has been had before, however its a worth while discussion so......
    I had a 74 with CTS alnico originals speakers, I "blackfaced" the circuit replaced the 5U4GB rectifier with a good GZ34 / 5AR4
    Long story shortened, it sounded oh so sweet !

I sold the old girl after a few years and began the search for a smaller home sized amp that would scratch the tone itch.
    I tried a Deluxe, champs, Egnater's and others.

Thankfully a few months ago I found a killer deal on a 73 with WGS veterans in it.
    I replaced the speakers with Weber 10A125 and 10F150 speakers, "blackfaced" the circuit re-tubed with vintage glass and a real Mullard GZ34 / 5AR4 rectifier, a sweet 5751 in V-2.

Moral to the story ? if you fall in love with the Super Reverb sound then your in trouble !
    Mine sits in my music room on an isolation pad and seldom moves, it does however get played every day.

The notes make me smile !

Buzzin_Cousin likes this.

6. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut

7. Gibsonsmu

Gibsonsmu Tele-Meister

May 7, 2015
    Texas
    I'm just not into the "mid scooped" blackface sound. Tweeds are much more mid heavy and warm. Different deal but much preferred by me. Blackfaces sound sterile to me. It makes sense, if you follow the fender amp history they were just trying to get cleaner and cleaner. The blackface was considered a "success"

8. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Aug 13, 2007
    ME
    QUOTE="blues bondsman, post: 8023477, member: 81501"]

Moral to the story ? if you fall in love with the Super Reverb sound then your in trouble !
    Mine sits in my music room on an isolation pad and seldom moves, it does however get played every day.

The notes make me smile ![/QUOTE]

Totally agree ! My 74 is about identical to the one you had.........and would probably be the last of my dozen or so amps to leave. Many others are more "practical" but nothing satisfies me like that Super! And yes, mine also sits in my music room but it too, gets played every single day :).

blues bondsman and Buzzin_Cousin like this.

9. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2013
    United States
    It seems like every year my amps get heavier.

Nice shell pink strat. What model is that?

Jimmy Owen likes this.

10. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2013
    United States
    Yeah, it actually seems like the difference in volume between a 2x10 and a 4x10 at close to the same wattage is just the dispersement of sound. But easy to carry is a big part of it for me to. Or I'll just keep it at home most likely, like everyone else here is saying.

11. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2013
    United States

12. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    That's pretty well-priced, at $1200 shipped. I'd still want to confirm a few things, date codes on the trannys for instance, and I've never heard those speakers... they're replacements obviously, but if I hated 'em, it'd be a black mark...

Because of it's position as the smallest 6L6, the VR has long been a favorite. I'm not as much in touch with prices as I am for Supers and Twins, but a quick glance at Reverb confirmed my assumptions that these command a premium.

Here's a '79, which is right near the end of the era, for $1480 firm, shipped. Great photos. Original CTS ceramics.

$1300 firm, local pickup only, for a lovely '69 drip, with original Oxfords. Said to be "non-functioning". Probably just needs standard service. (The thing is, these silverfaces are very hard to kill).

'75 asking $1795 shipped

'68 drip edge, asking $2050 shipped

Blackfaces... add $1000.

Note, the '79 above is OK. The larger amps, like Supers, Pros, Twins, all received a UL (ultralinear) transformer by around '77. This is the only evolution of the circuit to avoid, as it doesn't sound as good, and it can't be reverted back to the earlier spec. Vibroluxes might be the only 6L6 amp that didn't go UL. Generally, because of the UL issue, be careful when looking at SFs older than '76. The ULs have clues on the rear faceplate.

Since I'm willing to do the work, if the seller would ship, I'd be all over the $1300 '69 drip edge.

Spend some time on Reverb, and on eBay. There are a ton of these SFs, always moving. Find a seller like the '79 above, who know how to take good pics, and you can give yourself an education.

13. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    A late 70s has pull boost, so people
    shy away. They're virtually the same circuit as previous with the boost added.
    There IS something different in the bias circuit, I think.
    My tech is very good and he had a VERY difficult time diagnosing a problem in my 79.

14. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

At some of those higher prices a used boutique clone becomes price competitive and might be a better option.

15. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    SF amps differ from BF in a few ways, one being that they no longer have an adjustable bias. It's "bias balance" instead. This occurred early, around mid-68.

Then in 72 the master volume was added. This is trivial to circumvent, and easy to restore if for some reason you wanted it back later.

Same with the pull boost, added around 75.

Also, if you don't want the effect of either, just dime the MV, and don't pull the boost.

But then around 77, came the dreaded UL. Very different circuit. Different output transformer. No longer the trivial differences from BF design. Still doesn't have adjustable bias, and my understanding is that it's difficult to add one.

Point being that any of these big amps (Pro on up) are fine up to the UL stage, which is easily discernable by looking at the rear faceplate.

Disclosure: I am not a tech, and I don't even play one on TV. I just love these amps.

16. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Not all BF amps had true bias voltage adjustment. Ex: the AB165 which had the bias balancing act. The amps based on the AB763 circuits all had true bias voltage adjustment through the early SF era until the changes in the summer of 1968 when they all god the bias balancing circuit.
    Re: UL output. This is like the disrespect that some Fender agent for their weight when other amps that are ‘heavyweights’ never have the “that amp is too heavy”. Ex: Vox AC30......heaviest 30 watt amp on Eath...as heavy as any TR is. No one ever complains about the UL output in certain boutique amps....some Dr. Z’s for example.
    The UL Fenders have their one positive attributes. They can be modded. As any other Fender amp with bias balancing, it is a relatively minor thing to establish true bias voltage adjustment in the amp. I have had UL Fenders that yielded excellent sonics. Once again, the thing is to understand what the amp does and not to buy it if it doesn’t do what one wants an amp to do. There are ‘51 Champs. There are ULTR’s. And there is everything else in between.

moosie likes this.

17. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Thanks Wally. I know that in part my feelings about ULs stem from my limited skills, and the fact that the chassis just looks so darn different. That, and the hi-fi sterility, and the feeling that I would have to really work at it (coming from my knowledge base) to get something better... and I moved on.

I wasn't disappointed, because my motivation in buying that 79 Twin was solely to harvest the JBLs, which weren't being factored in with the price I paid. Swapped 'em out, and they wound up being free. I briefly thought about keeping the amp - it was SO CLEAN, but ... just not my thing.

18. Teddyjack

Teddyjack Tele-Holic

Jan 2, 2017
    Burlington, VT
    I've had my '66 Super since I was 15. It's been a workhorse - all over the country and back a few times and the sound is just beautiful. As a youngster I would haul the amp and the guitar up three flights of stairs to my apartment after gigs, but now I've got a hard cart which saves the back.

Good luck on your quest!

19. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    I would have sold the JBL's and kept the amp. When I was through with it, it would have been one of the best clean amps you could hope to play through...perfect for a steel player or any guitarist...and it would have also had a hot, midrangey channel that wanted to breakup earlier.
    IMe, JBL's would make a tweed 5c5 amp be flat, harsh and sterile. other's mmv....

20. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2011
    Bristol
    Had a Super 6 once - a thing of beauty but the least practical amp in the world. Once had to carry it up a fire escape ladder to get in to a gig at a rugby club - not sure my back has ever recovered.

Lovely amp, but plenty more sensible options for “that” clean.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.