Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Lusting For a Super Reverb

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Buzzin_Cousin, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2013
    United States
    So I go in to pick up a couple guitars I had worked on by a luthier in my area, and I plug my strat in to check out the wiring job he did. Plugged into a 71 Super Reverb original. He said he went through the amp and restored it himself. Oh man, the shimmering clean tone coming through those 4X10's. Wait, is that my guitar sounding like that? I got the guitar home, and it sounds pretty damn good through my Peavey Bandit, but that Super Reverb was something else. Just beautiful. I think I would have sat there all night just playing in his shop if I could have gotten away with it. Just hitting an E major chord over and over would have been fine with me.

That's a lot of amp, but I guess with the SR is all about cleans right? It's not really a break up amp, so the whole headroom thing is null, and it will sound about as good at bedroom or small gig volumes vs. being cranked.

School me on this guys. If I'm going to be playing surf style or classic rock with a Fender amp, is a vintage SR the way to go? Seems like these amps are fairly affordable...$1,000 to $1,500 depending on condition.

I've got a Peavey Supreme (Bandit in head form) + a 4x10 Marshall cab for my humbucker hard rock rig.
    But the single coil Fender thing I don't have yet..

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I have a '71 with the original CTS alnico speakers. I serviced it, blackfaced, and put in Mallory signal caps.

It sounds like it's full of angels. Syrupy, liquid warm cleans... My '69 Twin was my favorite amp (ssh, it still thinks it is). The Super has taken the #1 spot, I think. So much so that I am considering getting another, just because. For perspective... I only play at home. :lol:

I got mine early this year for $800. Put maybe $160 in it - not tubes, it still had original glass. So yeah, they're affordable.

dr_tom and JustABluesGuy like this.

3. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2011
    Texas
    Ah, lust for that which is different...it is insatiable you know.

4. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    the good news is that the big fenders are pretty cheap-super reverbs and twins are so big not many want them. Check your local craigslist-both are great sounding amps and while different I think a properly working one of either would make your ears happy.

5. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nov 27, 2016
    Long Island
    Great Amp! Lead guitarist in the band I was in had one, played his Jaguar through it...What a sound!!!

DrBoBo likes this.

6. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    Oh, it'll break up. You just gotta give it some more gas. :D

I built mine as an AB763 and it'll stay clean with a Strat til around 6-7, and even then you still have to dig in a little bit. It's stupid loud at that point, as you can imagine. 10 will get you kicked out of most clubs, but my god. It's an amazing experience.

dr_tom and moosie like this.

7. Bikersluggo

Bikersluggo Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    @moosie How does it sound at home volumes? Do you have to wait until everyone is gone or can you play it while someone is watching tv upstairs?

8. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2013
    United States
    Yeah that's the thing. I'll never get it that loud, so essentially it will be a clean amp for me. Except for that rare time no one is around or I get it someplace to open it up.

Is there any other amp that will have that sound that has the best of both worlds (can break up a bit at lower volumes)? Otherwise I'll have to look at dirt pedals I suppose, which I don't like doing. I'm an amp distortion guy. I've also seen around here where guys have converted Super Reverbs to a head. Does that change the sound so much (obviously depending on what cab you use). But is the original combo a big part of the sound?

9. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2013
    United States
    Where did the $160 go.....labor? What did you have to do to shore it up?

10. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Holic

Jul 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada
    the 4- 10s in Super reverbs are awesome. the fact that you can buy one of these for way less than other Fender Reverb reproductions is amazing. You simply cannot go wrong.

Ricky D. likes this.

11. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2013
    United States
    So the 4X10 and cab is part of the charm eh? I mean that makes sense. I'm just thinking about hauling it around, but then in looking it up looks like it weights 65 lbs. That's not too bad actually. The one I saw looked heavy.

12. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2013
    United States
    What is the size and amp that are the more desireable? The 2X10 and 2X12 combos from the 60's?

13. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I do that all the time. It sounds glorious. I have Twin and Super on an A/B/Y rig, and I'll play one or both. I usually leave the amp settings alone, with volumes between 2-3, and I turn down the guitar volume. Then, when the house empties during the day, if I want to, I can turn it up with a touch of the volume pot. There's a lot more usable sweep on the pot this way. It can be frustrating trying to dial in a big amp between the cut-off level, and "too loud".

I've written a few times on this forum how while they sound great, I do like to use a Wampler Black 65 pedal set clean, gain on zero. It's got a nice EQ, and this pedal in particular does a special something that brings out the 3D sound of these amps, when played at low volumes.

While I still have that pedal for overdrive, I don't use it much anymore for the clean shaping. I was able to bring about the same magic by biasing the amps quite cool. While my Deluxe Reverb likes bias around 68%, Twin and Super like it down in the mid 40s.

There's absolutely no breakup with any of these amps, of course, when played politely at home. Accepting that is very liberating. I use a pedal for dirt, and instead of trying to find a decent sounding 3-watter, that I choose solely because it doesn't get very loud, I have the whole pantheon of vintage amps to choose from.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017

14. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    In short, no. If you're playing at home, 5 watts can easily be too loud. Tube breakup in a Super isn't the same as tube breakup in a Champ. Like I started to say earlier, once I gave up that one piece of the tone quest, everything came together. There are some pretty good dirt pedals - not the usual TS and Klon clones, not the BD-2s. I'd much, much rather play a big amp turned down, with a Timmy or Wampler Black for breakup, than any tiny amp, breaking up or not. That choice isn't for everyone, but it may help to face what you're giving up by sticking to that requirement. A Princeton, for example, is completely off limits if you want home breakup - without driving people out of the house. Of course everyone has their own idea of "loud"...

I don't know how a Super head would sound with a typical closed back 4x10 cab. Or a pair of 2x10s. I think there's something about the open back cab. And if you're planning to run it through a single 12, or a 2x10... yeah, you're going to lose something. It'll still be nice, but you might be better off with a Vibrolux.

EDIT: Supers are heavier than just the 65 lb number. The handle is waist-high, while it's still sitting on the ground. Lifting one inch requires raising your shoulder. Very inconvenient to carry.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    clintj likes this.

15. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    This thread has me drooling.

But until I start gigging again (Please God?), I just can't justify it.

I would also imagine that with the variety of speakers being made today, you can turn the Super (or any vintage, for that matter) into the particular beast you want it to be, although I'm all about clean anyway.

16. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2013
    United States
    Can you give some more detail on this biasing thing?

17. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2013
    United States
    Yeah, I used to have an Excelsior. At 13 watts, that was too loud at the breakup point. The Super Reverb, tho, sounded so good at a low volume that I was thinking about it as a clean amp, and then solving the dirt problem later.

THanks for the input. I think I would rather have it as a traditional combo anyway.

18. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Tele-Afflicted

Feb 19, 2015
    TooFarFromCanada
    My oldest daughter was the gentlest baby/toddler imaginable. Never demanding, never yelling, never a fit. But when I'd be getting out the ice cream after dinner, she'd stand there Marine drill sergeant-style and chant "DO IT. DO IT. DO IT."

Get it, love it, and post a clip of your Strat summing that E chord magic.

CoyotesGator and blackguts like this.

19. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    My friend Kenny’s Super sure sounded good at the wedding gig last night.
    Of course, the guy can play, but the amp sounded great, too!

JustABluesGuy and moosie like this.

20. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Tele-Afflicted

Feb 26, 2017
    Manchester UK
    Scratch that itch, if you are ok lifting the weight

Hernia operation means I don't like lifting over 20kg unless it is my daughter

Buy well used and you won't lose money

Jimmy Owen likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.