Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Lurker pops in, looks around...

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by rickwrench, Dec 2, 2018.

1. rickwrench

rickwrench TDPRI Member

Dec 2, 2018
    Dry Dusty Ag Hell, CA
    Hello all.
    I've lurked TDPRI for years. Decided to join today. And now I can see more than thumbnails.

Bio:
    Moved around, played on stage in many bands (bass, guitar, other stuff with strings) for the last...47? (!) years or so. Since I was 6 or 7 anyways. Started out with my pop on stage during summer tours, as a kid singing "Cool Water" in a pipsqueak voice. I met a lot of "names" over the years. Though to me, they were just people like my pop who played music. They still are, regular old flawed people but with a venue to express themselves.
    I played music, violin & piano, then guitar and bass, through school, gigged for years, met a fine woman who happily moved into my house (with my then current band). Gigged, wrote, studio "secret" fixer.
    All these years later, still married, still playing. Mostly jazzy funky jammy tunes these days, to small club crowds. Love the stage, big, little, crowded, solo. And I build instruments. Mostly for myself, but sometimes for close friends, too.
    I have many guitars and basses collected over the years, too many to count just sitting here. Some get played often, some rarely, some never.
    Lots of vintage equipment (that I bought new).
    And my current gigging gear. Not a GAS victim, just a time victim.

Tele:
    I've only got one Tele... a '72ish lawsuit/Matsumoku. It started life as a fine player, maybe better than many of the comparable 70's Fenders. It even still had the weird snap on bridge cover, before the "accident".
    One nice day in the early 80's, it bounced out of a truck on a NorCal tour, hit the pavement and immediately jumped out of the case. It was then run over by the bus and more than one car. Crushed pickups, bent bridge, shattered neck, assorted ground away bits and pieces. Mangled. The body was whole, but had some nice road rash. It had been the rhythm guitar player's back-up until that point.
    We stopped, I kicked the pile over to the shoulder. 4 of the 5 of us laughing, he was not.
    As we stood there, watching him stare morosely at the heap, I "helpfully" offered him $5 bucks for the tangled glob. He grumbled words, gave me some side-eye, kicked the pile, and walked off (I still owe him $5).
    A 72 lawsuit Tele, back then, was just another cheap guitar. Certainly nothing to lose sleep over. Nobody collected Matsumoku. Especially a 12 year old plain jane cream/yellow, heavily gigged, MIJ back-up beater. It would have been just another $100 pawnshop guitar in 1984. Heck a -real- 70's Tele wouldn't have fetched much more than $250. A -new- standard Tele was about $500.

Anyway. I had spare parts at home, necks, pick-ups, pots, stuff. Enough to build a FrankenTele with the carcass. So I got out the router and had some fun.
    G&L bridge HB, PAF neck HB, Dimarzio DP100 HB in between. I split the coils on the two rear HBs, and then split up a five way. 10 sounds, of which I used... 2. Others played it, loved it. It was unique, recognized among the bands we played with. At various times, depending on the band, it was sometimes strung with 10-42s, or, most of the time, small ball Fender VI bass strings, 24-84, usually tuned G-G. It got the most attention in that form. I gigged with it for a few years after it was resurrected, but bad luck struck again, and it was stolen at a gig in Chico.
    I found it, on a tip, in an Oroville pawn shop a few years later, $20. The "unique" finish mostly stripped, no pick guard or control plates, and the chopped bridge was gone. $20 was worth it just for the pups, even then. But I showed the owner a pic, told him what the fine print on the fake headstock logo read, and said it was stolen. He just handed it over, said "take it". So I rebuilt it, again.
    It's painted "theft proof" nasty metallic green now.

I need to plug the Strat bridge route, someday, paint it cream again, and rebuild it with a Bigsby. Or better yet, a B-bender.

Couldn't find any shots of the original, but below are the first (35mm negative scan, flipped in p-shop) and second reincarnations.

[​IMG]

Rick

2. Kreepy

Kreepy Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2018
    Maud, Oklahoma
    Welcome to the club.

3. FrankJames

FrankJames Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2008
    Ohio, USA
    Welcome to the forum !!

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
  5. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
  6. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Afflicted

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    That's one hell of a story!

7. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    Welcome, wrenchrick!

Great history, awesome guitars.
    You are practically family, sir.

By 'DryDustyAgHell', may I assume either the Salinas Valley, Paso Robles, King City, or somewhere northwest of Bakersfield?

;)

8. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Welcome! Interesting looking Teles.

9. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jun 18, 2016
    Patterson, NY
  10. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Welcome to TDPRI :)

11. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2013
    West O' Philly, PA
    Welcome to the fold!

SB

12. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Meister

May 23, 2018
    Idaho just the tip
  13. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Howdy & welcome to Tele Town!!

14. rickwrench

rickwrench TDPRI Member

Dec 2, 2018
    Dry Dusty Ag Hell, CA
    Thanks to all for the welcome.
    Yes, southern Central Valley. Just outside of Fresno. A place where the air quality ranges from "brown fog" to "don't breath, it's safer".

Rick

15. problem-child

problem-child TDPRI Member

Nov 30, 2018
    Fresno, CA
    I recognize that brown fog... Welcome neighbor from a few miles south of F-town

16. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.
  17. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Hi Rick, welcome aboard.

18. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 26, 2003
    Augusta, Maine
    Hey, waydaminnit! You put bass strings on it?

=O.

Man, you came to the right place. Welcome!

19. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock TDPRI Member

Dec 6, 2018
    Central FL
    Welcome to tdpri. Great story about the telecaster. You're going to feel right at home in here.

GDR

20. rickwrench

rickwrench TDPRI Member

Dec 2, 2018
    Dry Dusty Ag Hell, CA
    Yeah, bass strings. G to G. E to E --> It was... a bit "floppy" tuned to E. Even tuned up to G the tension was lower than guitar strings tuned to E.
    I gigged with it that way for at least a year, at least five or six songs a night. And the lead guitarist would play solos on it for at least two or three songs a night. Meanwhile, I thumped away on a P, J, or Hornet bass.

Rick

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.