Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Lucinda Williams w/ Butch Norton on the drums - Little Honey Tour

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by MandyMarie, Jun 11, 2009.

1. MandyMarie

MandyMarie Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Has anyone caught Lucinda Williams with Buick 6?

I seen them on Tuesday night and the new drummer (well, new to me) - Butch Norton - seriously just knocked me out...I love Lucinda and I love the Little Honey album but I walked out of that show a Butch Norton fan. I've been raving about him since the show but I can't find much info on him. I found his MySpace page and a few (killer!) YouTube clips but I want recordings! :D

Have any of you California guys (she said he was San Francisco) seen him with any other band?

I think I'm one of the few guitar players on the planet who truly loves drummers...but that guy just blew me away. My eyes were glued to him the entire night!

2. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2003
    Butch is indeed a great drummer. But every time I've seen Lucinda, being a guitar player, it's always Doug Pettibone who knocks me out. Incredibly tasteful player.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  3. MandyMarie

Mar 17, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Absolutely - Doug is fantastic and does exactly what the song needs. Her bands are always top notch, aren't they? :D

It was great watching Butch switch cymbals (at lightning speed!) in between almost every song... and to watch him hold three drumsticks in his mouth so he could use the right one at the right moment. He's a melodic drummer and those are my favorites!

The guy sincerely knocked me out. I'm dying to watch him again - I'm hoping to catch Lucinda again before this tour ends.

4. ibobunot

ibobunot Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2005
    Colorado
    Jonathan "Butch" Norton was raised in the San Francisco Bay area and has been performing drums/percussion/voice for over 38 years. He first began playing drums at the age of six at home on the family suitcases. Butch studied with renowned San Francisco Symphony percussionist, Anthony Cirone, and started making a living playing in the nightclubs in northern California at the age of 17. Butch did a stint in Las Vegas with producer/composer Walter Affanasiev (Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Michael Bolton). In 1980 he quit playing the drumset and relocated to southern California to study with master percussionist John Bergamo at California Institute of the Arts. His focus was World Music and percussion and it's relation to dance and movement.

Here he met Tim Latta beginning a creative journey for the two performers. He composed and performed with Lorretta Livingston and Dancers for the "Music Center on Tour" educational outreach program and started a long affiliation with Bella Lewitsky. He was a founding member of the world percussion trio Sugba Sugba facilitating healing rituals through rhythm and movement concerts on the West coast. Butch recorded and toured with Mercury recording artists Lowen and Navarro and appeared in the Mike Kelly/Steve Prina/Anita Pace production of Beat of the Traps which premiered in Vienna, Austria at the very first "Wiener Fest Wochen Art Festival." The theater/dance/music piece was also performed in Los Angeles. Butch has performed with Native American shaman and other musicians in the annual spring healing ritual on Mount Tamalpais, in San Francisco, with Anna Halprin.

He is co-founder, with partner Ray McNamara, of the ethnic, eclectic, experimental, percussion duo Damaru. Butch met a man called "E" and toured with him in support of his second solo album called "Broken Toy Shop" on Polygram records. In 1995 E and Butch formed the band called eels and were the first band signed to the new Dreamworks record label in 1996. Their first single "Novocaine for the Soul" garnered them several video nominations for video of the year and won "Best New Artist" at the European "Brit" music awards in 1997. They just released their fourth album "Souljacker" (video directed by Wim Wenders!).

eels songs can be heard in movies such as "Shrek", "Road Trip", "American Beauty"and "Scream 2," to name a few. Butch has worked with producer T-Bone Burnett (Sam Phillips, Wallflowers, O Brother Where Art Thou) on projects including "The Big Lebowski" and Julia Darling's debut CD on Wind-Up Records. He has played on tracks for Aimee Mann and Fiona Apple as well as the soundtracks for "Rated X", starring Emilio Estevez and Charlie Sheen and “Get Carter”, starring Sylvester Stallone. He has toured with fellow Dreamworks artist Rufus Wainwright in support of his album "Poses". He is sponsored by and endorses "Paiste" cymbals, "Vater" sticks and mallets, "Remo" drumheads and percussion, "Meinl" percussion, "DW" hardware, and "Slingerland" drums.

BUTCH NORTON Butch Beats Vol.1

5. chipl

chipl Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2003
    Caught 'em in April

I caught Lucinda and Buick 6 in April in upstate NY and they just rocked. Buick 6 played a set of its own and it was guitar-driven rock at is best. Major major twang. Both guitarists were capable of alternating between excellent lead and rhythm work and they kept quoting cool familiar rock riffs from other songs (can't name one now but it wass like ''hey that riff sounds really familiar...)

I didn't know the name of the drummer at the time but he was also terrific...great energy and power and he and the bass player were locked and loaded and full of fire the whole time.

Yes, Lucinda's got an amazing band.

6. Mik

Mik Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2003
    Was Norton touring with Lu in '04? Amazing percussionist at the Brit Fest show in OR. Whole band was amazing. I heard Pettibone is no longer touring with Lu, true?

Mik

7. MandyMarie

Mar 17, 2003
    Austin, TX
    THANKS Bob!!!! :D :D :D

Mik, I could very well be wrong but I think Buick 6 as a whole is a fairly new thing - you have to check out Butch!!

8. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 28, 2003
    Sonoran Desert
    He left to play for Ray LaMontagne, and Eric Schemerhorn took his spot with Buick 6.

9. barefootsound

barefootsound NEW MEMBER!

Aug 28, 2010
    Santa Monica, CA
    Hey all,

I know this is over a year late, but I know Butch has a new project he's playing with out of Los Angeles called Marcus Very Ordinary. He really steps outside of the box with this group. Pretty cool stuff!

They play around LA fairly often, and Lu frequents their shows. I recommend their EP "Marcus Very Ordinary Renounces the Soil and Popular Roots."

Reverbnation
    Facebook

Hope you enjoy it!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.