Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

LP 50s wiring question

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by harphunt, Jan 14, 2019.

1. harphunt

harphunt TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Michigan
    I hope this is the right spot...

After an extensive search, I’ve found that I only need to move the cap wire to the volume center lug to achieve my goal. Do I need to connect all pots with a ground wire? Why do most diagrams show moving the tone cap wire to the outer lug if it makes no electrical difference? Thanks so much!

peace

2. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
  3. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Yes. Note the ground symbols in the illustrations in the link 24 Track provided. Regardless of which wiring option you choose you still need a wire to the back of all four pots linking them to ground. Those wires are not shown in the illustrations to keep it clearer on just what the basic wiring differences are.

FWIW, I tried out the 50's wiring myself a couple years back and found I didn't like it - much preferring the sound and response of the modern wiring. I like tone to be tone and volume to be volume, and didn't like the tone knobs rolling back the volume too. I now use treble bleeds to keep from losing highs when I roll back the volume knobs so I don't need 50's wiring to solve that problem. That said, independent volume controls are great - wish I could "have it all."

But many players really like it so by all means try it make up your own mind.

Cheers,
    Rex

4. tubejockey

tubejockey Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2015
    the bozone
    it is worth noting that if you never lower your volume knob, the 50s wiring makes as much as no difference.

5. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Holic

Oct 17, 2008
    Tujunga California
    Because that's the way they were originally wired back in the 50's, however it doesn't matter which lug on the tone pot the wire comes from, only that it goes to the middle lug on the volume pot. When changing from modern wiring, it is easier to just move the one wire to the volume pot middle lug.
    Al

6. harphunt

harphunt TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Michigan
    Thank you all! Just changed over to 50s wiring by changing just the volume connection. Haven’t added ground yet. So far I like the change and am able so find some jangly tones I didn’t think coexisted.

I’m assuming that the ‘52-‘56 used the same wiring... Will change the p90 goldtop, also.

peace

7. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Holic

Oct 17, 2008
    Tujunga California
    You shouldn't have to add a ground wire, the pots should already be grounded unless you have rewired the guitar and didn't ground the pots.
    Al

8. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Jun 14, 2010
    mojave desert
    Using a smaller tone capacitor will lessen the effect of the tone knob affecting volume. I got a cheap box of various caps and jumpered them in until I got enough treble drop with the tone knob. I don't need the tone knob to go to pure mud, just enough to knock the treble down. I love the 50's wiring!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.