Low Wattage Lunchbox Head Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Cysquatch, May 9, 2019.

1. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted

I have the bass breaker 007 combo. I love it, but Vox chimey is not at all how I would describe it.

That being said, I have not spent much of any time playing a Vox.

So, chimey is not how I would describe it.

2. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Holic

My Tele sounds nice clean through an Orange Micro Terror. ECC83 pre-amp + solid state output.
    Obviously does Orange grunt too if you turn up the gain.

olefudd and Rev Rhythm like this.
  3. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Vox MV50

studio1087 likes this.
  4. igor5

igor5 Tele-Meister

Mooer Little Monster BM

5. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

Well, for Vox-y tones I like Vox. And for a Vox amp with a small footprint (maybe not a "lunchbox," but still), the Pathfinder 15R is the amp to beat. But good luck finding one...

The MV50 series Hawk mentioned above qualifies as a "snack box" in my book (though I don't think that's what VintageSG had in mind when he coined the term), but is too limited for my needs.

If I were to go with one of Vox' small, new Nutube offerings, it'd be the Mini Super Beetle, which is an improvement over the MV50 AC: more versatile tone stack, reverb and trem, and comes with a 1x10" cab that you could run on it's own for 25 watts or in conjunction with another cab for the "full fifty" output.

I still may get one for myself, even though I have three Pathfinder 15Rs.

6. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

The MV series does seem a bit limited for what I'm wanting, but they are neat. Have heard lots of good stuff on Pathfinders, but as mentioned, they're tough to find and I'm more interested in a tube amp at this point. So for right now, I think the big runners are just eating the extra cost for a speaker and going after an AC4C1-12 since that's what started this whole thing, or a Night Train. One I didn't see mentioned that I've heard a lot of good on is the Bugera G5 Infinium, anyone have experience with that? They're pretty well kitted for a little 5 watter and are crazy cheap, so could be a decent option. But, I've never even seen one in real life, so can't really make great guesses on the tone outside of videos, which is never a great option.

Forgot to mention: After looking around at used prices, just going for an AC10C1 is also a backburner option. Can get them for about $100 more than the AC4, so might be worth it for the better headroom and all-around being more useful.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  7. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

The Blackstar HT 5R is a great head.

If you want really low power the Blackstar HT1RH is really nice and you’d be surprised how loud it is. I play mine through a Carvin 2 x 12 and it’s a blast late at night (or any time).

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HT1RHMKII--blackstar-ht1rh-mkii-1-watt-tube-head-with-reverb

They’re $249 new. I paid $129 used at a local shop. I this thing.
    [​IMG]

Someone mentioned the VOX MV50. It’s technically 50 watts but It does very well at any volume. $219 list.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MV50Rock--vox-mv50-rock-50-watt-hybrid-tube-head

[​IMG]

It’s powering the 1 x 12 on the floor. Jensen MOD 50. Sounds great. Lots of fun. The little engine that could!

[​IMG]

The little one watt Blackstar is great and it has Reverb and pregain. Try Reverb.com for a used one. It’s like buying a decent pedal (easy on the wallet).

8. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

I have a Biyang/Wang 2.5 W all tube amp thats great for clean and quite good for distortion as well. $150. Fits in your pocket. All tube Killer Ant if you can find one, for an excellent Marshall type sound, but they re always a little dirty if you want a good clean tone. 1/2 W at most, but surprisingly loud.

9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Here's what I use, along with a Mooer Radar

[​IMG]

studio1087 likes this.
  10. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

I LOVE that Pathfinder 15 head! Such a simple and effective idea!

studio1087 likes this.
  11. studio1087

Someone on the forum turned a 15R combo into an extension speaker by removing the chassis. I bought the chassis. All I did was build a 4 sided pine box around the chassis. I just move the 1 x 12 speaker cable from the VOX MV15 to the Pathfinder. Some nights I play the one and other nights I play the other. I’m glad I bought that chassis.

[​IMG]

With the VOX G212...

[​IMG]

12. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

I love every single part of this post, especially that pink fiddle :cool:. I actually was a bum and went with an AC10C1. Played one at the same time as the AC4 and just preferred the 12", but since I have more cabs than amps and am going to be using a 12" speaker already, I went for it - not to mention the usability of 10 vs 4 watts. Plus the wife thought the AC10 looked nice and I couldn't disagree. Got a floor demo model for $380, no visible signs of use and full manufacturer warranty with all original packaging. Am very excited to get that puppy in.

But..... now you've got me thinking that having a separate 10" cab and an AC10 head wouldn't be so bad either..... The projects never end.

studio1087 likes this.
  13. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

How useful are the cleans on the HT1R?

14. studio1087

Loud enough to wake my wife when I’m playing behind a closed door two stories below our bedroom. It’s surprisingl loud, especially with a decent speaker.

There’s one Lille mine on eBay with the book at $140 with free shipping. (I was looking just out of curiosity).

15. powerwagonjohn

powerwagonjohn Tele-Meister

Mesa TA-15 Thanks John

16. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

Not how loud - how "useful," as in are they decent, toneful, etc., for someone used to Fender cleans?

17. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Holic

I've had both, and I much preferred the Top Boost C1 circuit. I had the 10" model but played it through a large oak cab with a 10" Weber in it. I eventually ended up with the AC4HW1, but the AC4C1 sounded great through an extension cab.

18. studio1087

I’m sorry. I didn’t understand. My bad.

I play a Deluxe Reverb and a 70’s Champ a lot. I have other Fender amps. I think the Blackstar has very pleasing cleans. Full and round with a nice top. I go from playing a Deluxe Reverb loudly to the Blackstar and I like the sound.

I also have a Blackstar Studio HT 20 with Reverb that I gig with an Avatar Classic cab loaded with an Enimence Canabis Rex and the clean Chanel gets me in a pleasing Fender zone.

I think the Blackstar stuff in general is nice. The Reverb in the one watt amp really adds warmth and dimension.

19. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

Thanks, Bro!

studio1087 likes this.
  20. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Not sure if i'm repeating anyone else here....and all IMO. :)

I practice / Gig with an AC30 CCH.

For home and small jams I have the Pathfinder 15, the Vox AC4 12 C1, had the AC4 TV (didn't like it at all), the DSL5 and the Marshall Class 5. ALos a Pro junior but I haven't really played with that much as it is a bit too loud for home use...one day I'll get stuck in to that.

Today I just scored a used Marshal SL5 (limited edition Slash 5 watt) on our Ebay (cant wait to try that).

All combo's as I prefer the one carry, low weight of a combo but i do occasionally plug them in to different speakers after modifying the speaker wires.

The pathfinder is a great AC30 style home amp IF you don't push it volume or gain wise. it gets close the AC30 sound but without any top boost balls (IMO)...if you do push it a bit to get the balls it starts to sound very SS and not great. Within its window it sounds quite good. Great for home or playing alone as it has more natural bass than the AC4 or AC30 (which alone, out of a mix sound a bit sharp/bright but this is what makes them so good in a live or mix context where they sit in the mix and cut through perfectly).

The AC4 C1 12 is a great amp but on its own (as above) can be a bit bright/harsh/sharp but sits n a mix really well. Though you can tame it somewhat ESP if you use the gain knob as volume and leave the volume at 50% or more.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.