Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Low tech grain filling ?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by viking, Dec 26, 2008.

1. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    Guys , Ive got an unfinished ash body that I would like to finish in a low-tech way. Im not set up for doing any kind of flashy paint job , and Ive promised my-self I will never buy another unfinished body !
    Its almost impossible to buy anything over here ,and things like grain fillers just dont stand around on the shelves of paint shops or the " home depot " kind of stores over here...
    I can get something that looks close to Sonic Blue , Vintage White etc in spray cans relatively easy , but what about compatible grain filler. Can I just use the gunk used for spackling up dents in car bodywork ?
    If this is not a great idea ,can I just use some clear to fill the grain before shooting color coats ?
    Please , dont tell me about any US brand names , because I wont be able to get any of it over here , and I cant get it shipped either....

2. mojo2001

mojo2001 Tele-Holic

Feb 5, 2008
    DC
    How about a DANISH oil finish?

3. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    Yes, you can use automotive glazing compound. I use that on all bodies that are going to have solid colors. its pretty easy to work with, sands well and doesn't shrink.

Enough coats of clear will also fill the grain. I use lots of coats of sanding sealer, and of course that requires a lot of sanding.

4. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio

5. tonebro

tonebro Tele-Meister

Nov 11, 2008
    Upstate NY
    http://www.woodworking.com/wwtimes_oilfinish.cfm
    This is the route I'm going for an outrageous swamp ash body I scored off eBay. If you read into this article, you'll see that wet sanding with the Watco Danish Oil finish will actually fill the grain. That's what I'm going to do using medium walnut. HTH, there...in Denmark!

6. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    Thanks !
    I ve seen something called "sand spackel" , but I think its only used for dry walls , hmmm ....maybe I should check that out.....Im just not too keen on being stuck with anything on the body that wont be compatible with spray can paint. I dont want to buy a spray gun etc ,not untill I have a better workshop at least.

7. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Spackle for walls is not stable enough to handle the moisture and movement in wood.

Can you find shelac? If so, use it! It's a fantastic grain filler and you can put any finish over top of it!

Low tech and an ancient recipe!

8. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    Yes I believe shelllack is still commonly used for furniture etc over here...
    Can it really be used for grain filling and stain in one go ? So , all I would need afterwards would be clear ?
    The body is real pretty , I wouldnt mind the grain showing through...

9. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Well, if you didn't drink or ever play in bars, you wouldn't really need the clearcoat either! The only problem with Shellac is that alcohol dissolves it and this can be messy.... So a little nitro or poly over top and it's good to go!

I posted this one in another thread earlier today: http://www.artisticremodelingofva.com/johnf/shelac/

The color's a little dark on my monitor... but it'll give you a good idea of what it will look like.

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

John's a more accomplished woodworker than me, I know that.

I find that just using shellac, whether over no grain filler or not enough grain filler, takes forever and forever to get level. Over ash, works great over alder.

I may do a couple in the auto glazing compound. I just need to make up my mind up front, which ash bodies will be opaque and just git to it! I waste an inordinate amount of time getting a 3 piece body as pretty as possible, then painting it over.

11. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    I really dont know why I bought an unfinished body , I hate painting . Im much more of a mechanical guy.
    Its a nice body though , really light , and the grain is real pretty. I think I will use it as a base for a Vintage White , or maybe Sonic Blue Esquire build.
    Thanks for all your advice guys !
    I´ll let you know how it all ends up , but dont hold your breath !

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.