Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Low Gain Overdrive for a Jazzy Tone

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by OwenHu99, Jan 11, 2018 at 11:00 AM.

1. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Holic

Dec 20, 2012
    Australia
    Menatone Red Snapper 3. Worked on jazz stuff for me.

maxsmith likes this.

2. NorthenLights

NorthenLights TDPRI Member

Oct 25, 2017
    Sweden
    Any low gain tweedish pedal or amp should do the trick. I think it's more about how he uses drive to enhance harmonics that's the secret. I'd say the amp is fairly cranked while the volume knob on the guitar is turned down quite s bit. Combine that with a very light touch, and of course tone knob rolled back, anf you should be able to get close to that.

viccortes285 likes this.

3. dnauheim

dnauheim Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2009
    Seattle
    I too was pretty taken with his tone on that recording, and pretty floored to see that it was just a tele and a champ! That said--maybe I am missing something, but I find it pretty amusing that TDPRI is advising you to go Dumble to get a Champ tone! (no offense to anyone I hope!) I've tried most, maybe all, of the tweed pedals out there and I would say--get yourself a Lovepedal Les Lius. So good. It has the magic. Especially at a low gain setting.

Lies&Distortion likes this.

4. maxsmith

maxsmith Tele-Meister

Jun 16, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA

5. NorthenLights

NorthenLights TDPRI Member

Oct 25, 2017
    Sweden
    But seriously, why not just get a champ-clone? A clone built from a kit is usually not much more expensive than a new botique pedal.

6. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I went all over with this and ended up getting a really nice slightly overdriven tone—and I mean slightly—with a few different pedals.

My sonic goal is jazz/blues in the 40s and fifties, so think from Charlie Chrisan and t bone walker to Barney kessel to Kenny Burrell on blue note. I play a guitar I made with a p90 in the neck position

The problem with most drive pedals is they cut out low end. Here are some my experiences, using a Hendrickson jazzamp

TC electronic mojomojo— cheap and effective, reasonable touch responsiveness with lots of low end available

Catalinbread formula 55. Very dark. Adds a TON of compression. Very sensitive to changes in the guitar volume knob

Moog mf drive. Totally cool pedal which as a wide range of great sounds, and can add slight saturation at any frequency level

Supro drive. Too much gain and a little noisey but the most amp-like pedal I’ve ever played.

Supro trem—paydirt! I was looking for a good trem pedal and this pedal comes with a preamp similar to the one I the Supro drive. You can set the gain level to add distortion. At the lowest setting, with the trem controls off, you get this really great mild saturation that adds space and harmonics, but feels like an amp. I did a review of it here that includes sooundclips

Iago and Staypuft1652 like this.

7. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2008
    Cologne
    Sorry to spoil the party but I think with the blues jr. you already have the right tool – more dynamic edge of drive tones than any pedal. Just crank it up (volume if you can't play loud, master on a gig) dime the treble a bit and experiment with the fat switch. If that doesn't quit get you there, try an alnico speaker like a a Jensen P12. It makes the amp a bit quieter but takes it even more into tweed land.

8. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

Feb 6, 2007
    Moon Township, PA
    D-style OD pedals seem very popular with neck humbucker users
    For single coils, a tweed or Valco type pedal might work better
    I use a Greer Ghetto Stomp to replicate the sound of my Ampeg Jet through amps that fill a bigger space

9. Guitaryellow

Guitaryellow TDPRI Member

Dec 22, 2017
    Kent

Ampeg Jet - Wonderful bell like tone.

10. misterdl

misterdl TDPRI Member

Dec 1, 2017
    Belgium

11. maxvintage

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA

I agree with this, btw, except I don’t think it spoils any parties.. I’m very happy with the tone I’m getting from solid state amps, but the blues jr is a really great amp—I just bought one. It’s more noisy, but it does a moderate volume jazz tone well

12. maxvintage

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I have one of these and found it useless for my idea of a good jazz tone

13. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2010
    Fullerton CA
    Don't forget the heavy gauge strings. Just a guess, but I doubt there's Super Slinkys on that tele.

14. smithsonian

smithsonian Tele-Meister

Oct 6, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    Sorry if someone has stated this already, but I didn’t see it. Looks like he is playing straight into a low wattage tweed. If you can’t get that from your current amp, I’d suggest a pedal that is designed to do that...I.e. a Red Llama, Les Luis, or maybe a Wampler Tweed ‘57.

15. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

Ok, I listened to the player. In my opinion his playing is great but his tone is not that hard to attain in terms of gear. There's some overthinking going on here...all you need is a Tele, a small amp, something that imparts a little gain, and the rest is up to the hands.

69Telecraigster and brbadg like this.

16. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    Nocturne Barnyard pedal. For that type of tone you really want to push the bass notes over the edge first. Real loose bass is what helps you get that mild OD compressed tone still with detail.

ndcaster likes this.

17. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2005
    N. Cal.
    Sorry but I have to respectfully disagree with those who think the BJr. is good for this mix. I’d look at other small amps.

screamin eagle likes this.

18. smithsonian

smithsonian Tele-Meister

Oct 6, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    Pro jr.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.