Low end guitar questions

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by jdolecek48, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

I had a Jay Turser Strat ,I thought it sounded very decent stock and I think they can be had for less than a Squier. Here's track I did with it.

DougM and 24 track like this.
  2. 3bolt79

3bolt79 TDPRI Member

Oh I got my 8 year old grandson a Johnson. Paid 50 dollars for it. It’s strat style. Had to replace the tuners on it. It was used.

3. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

nice clear tracks , great sound!

4. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Have you ever heard of Jack Pearson. He's a pro and plays on a Squire. Check out this you tube!

TequilaCaster likes this.
  5. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

I had a '60s Strat for the longest time, I came across a Squier SE-100 ( a model of Strat) in a thirift store, not better not worse, different, but very playable and enjoyable. I traded the 60's towards a arch top. I was playing the Bullet Tele at GC this afternoon, perfectly good guitar.

If you are on a tight budget you might lookout the Monoprice guitars, their amps are excellent for the money, and the guitars seem to garner positive reviews. The basic Tele & Strat often go on sale for< $100 shipped, w/ gig bag. At the moment they are $89

https://www.monoprice.com/search/index?keyword=Guitar&rows=25&pgNum=3&sort=sellingPrice asc

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  6. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I’d get a Sawtooth for $55 and look for a guy to fret level it and cut the nut right

then I’d get a Joyo American Sound for $45 and be content with a small used SS amp until such time I could add a used reverb pedal

the biggest gains in sound to be made are in the pedals and amp — so much in electric guitar is fungible somewhere in the signal chain

just get the guitar to intonate well and have no fret issues

7. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

My personal feeling is that cheap Strat-type guitars are a lot of trouble. Parts that break, things that don’t fit well. The various Chinese Teles are better. In new guitars, I like the Epiphone Les Paul Specials (not the SL) for around $120. Solidly made.

But I’d go looking for a used guitar.

8. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Check out Rondo Music, you might find something you like there.

9. Solrac Kai

Solrac Kai Tele-Holic

Check monoprice.com, some inexpensive guitars in your budget that get decent reviews

10. Fuelish

Fuelish TDPRI Member

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    Since I have no experience with the other guitars mentioned on here, I can comment on the Bullet Strat. Mine has been perfectly fine.....needed a slight amount of smoothing the fret ends (they weren't bad) out of the box, and I switched the strings to 10s (personal preference). The stock guitar is fine, mine is one of my go to's if I just wanna grab something and play, it's light and plays well. Tuning stability is fine, many times folks complain about the tuners and it's actually their string winding that sucks :) I'm fine with the stock ceramic pickups, only "mod" I've done was a small jumper wire so the neck tone pot works on the bridge tone as well.....easy mod, though not a necessity. Enjoy whatever you end up with, this is a very good time to be a guitarist on a budget, truly. Back in the '60's, there was seemingly great stuff, and junk....nowadays, even what may be considered junk by some are pretty pretty solid guitars in their own right. Have fun!!!

11. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Absolutely. My HB goldtop with P90s is now my go-to for recording lead parts.

I hear very good things about their strats - saw a youtube rave about them a while back.

12. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

The most expensive one I've tried was a TE-70. It was the first that was "acceptable" at best, but nowhere near the quality of the Affinity for instance. Their more expensive ones look great (like the dual P90-version), but the cheaper ones really chased me away.

13. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

IDK I have First Acts that are pretty nice I payed less than $50 bucks for. Just depends on how you look at it and what your preferences are. As your disabled one would assume you have some time on your hands so why not learn to set up a guitar? Just about any guitar can be set up to play well.

14. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Meister

i have an affinity tele,excellent guitar.i think you can get one used $80.

15. fraser

fraser Tele-Holic

I had one of the newer Chinese bullet strats. I found it to be a very solid, playable and nice sounding guitar right off the shelf. Honestly it really didn’t NEED any work as it was.
    I can’t help myself tho, so I tru-oiled the neck, swapped in a set of gotoh kluson retro tuners, and put a 3 ply pick guard on it.
    Rolled the fretboard edges and levelled/ dressed the frets.
    It sounded great with the original electronics, so aside from reconfiguring it to a master volume and master tone control, the electronics remained stock.
    I really liked that guitar, and favoured it over my other more expensive guitars for months.

At some point a guy I knew who wanted it badly made me an offer I couldn’t pass on, or I’d still have it.

It’s a good guitar for the price, and always easily upgraded.

16. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Zzounds and Americanmusical have pay-as-you-play plans. That might help you get the guitar you want.
    But these guitars are great, a lot of value for what you play. Also check out goodwill, they always have tons of squier strats. www.shopgoodwill.com
    Just be careful with the shipping costs, they can be a bit high.

17. ChrisNY

ChrisNY TDPRI Member

Check out the Yamaha Pacifica's. I got a used Yamaha starter pack from Craigslist for under $100. Mine had a few dings in it but I ended up selling the amp that came with it and kept the Yamaha as my current backup guitar when I gig. They sound good, fit and finish is excellent and good deals can be found. I think the model I got was a PAC012. Really nice guitars for the price.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.