Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Low end guitar questions

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by jdolecek48, Nov 8, 2018.

1. jdolecek48

jdolecek48 TDPRI Member

Nov 8, 2018
    Florida
    I'm disabled and I'm trying to get back into playing again. My income is very limited.I have been playing around 15 years but have never bought a strat or anything but my musical tastes has changed over the years....but anyway I have been looking at the squire bullet guitars....are they junk? I heard that they don't stay in tune very well...are they worth upgrading when money permits.....I may only have 150 to spend...since I'm disabled with a very limited income I have to sell my iPad and laptop in order to fund this so I'm guessing my budget will only be 150....but anyway are these bullet guitars worth it? Since I'm disabled I can't get to aa paw shop or anything so I can cash and m coming up with I have to order new online....so in are the bullet squires we best for my budget? Are they a pain to stay in tune? Do these guitars sound good?

2. T-Bone

T-Bone Tele-Holic

Aug 28, 2012
    Toronto
    Have you considered asking for a donated instrument on your local Craigslist? What city do you live in?

Also, if you have to order online, you might consider looking at EBay, Reverb.com, or even Guitar Center, to see what you can buy used within your budget.

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Early Japanese Bullet Squiers are very nice but they are very rare and relatively exensive now.

I'd consider taking a look at used Squier ,SX, Douglas, Hadean, and Xavier guitars. I know there are some other good inexpensive brands out now, too.

Good luck!

4. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Holic

Nov 14, 2010
    Santa Barbara
    Good luck with your return to music. Sounds great. I have a fairly new Squier Affinity Tele that a friend gave me, and it is, in my opinion, a perfectly good guitar. I am fortunate to have had, and still have, several really high-end guitars, but this simple and inexpensive Squier works fine as well, without limitation. If it were the only guitar I had to play, I would be fine with that. Truly.

5. preactor

preactor Tele-Meister

Nov 27, 2009
    gainesville, ga
    Bought a Sawtooth Tele copy from Walmart.com for <$55. Not a great instrument but I could not beat the price. Not affiliated with Sawtooth or Walmart.

6. denny

denny Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Jan 5, 2004
    North of Dallas, TX
    In the old days, a cheap guitar was a mostly unplayable piece of junk. Today, there is a wide selection of new sub-$200 guitars that play and sound just about as good as the high-dollar ones. My only beef with some of the low-end guitars is a very skinny neck. Maybe this is to accommodate younger (smaller) players, but the quality is in general, superb. I would have no qualms with just about any of the new brand-name low-end guitars, except the neck issue. For a very limited budget as you describe, I would try out the guitar at a store if possible, then look for a used version of one you like. BTW, I own three Squiers.

Chunkocaster and jvin248 like this.
  7. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

^^that post covers the points. Check the neck. If you see a picture online straight at the back of the neck and can see fretboard on both sides of the neck, it's a thin carve. The width and depth noted on the spec sheet is within a half mm on all of them thick and thin but the carve that removes wood from the shoulders on the back of the neck change the circumference of the grip. If you have medium to large hands you may feel cramped at the low frets by the nut where most playing happens.

The bullets only sound bad because the price is low and the Internet thinks Quality=Price but that is not always the case. I have a bullet Strat that the ceramic stock pickup sounds better than many of the MIM/MIA I have. Other players have been amazed with it too.

Check out the 'Spectrum' brand sold Walmart/Best Buy and I've found those have chunkier necks. I seek those out over Squiers.

If you can find a guy that can level frets and a setup ... I'd say buy a battered and abused Spectrum for $25-35 and have the frets leveled and you'll have a guitar that plays as well as $1,000+. I've got one like that on my play wall right now. Even the used First Act guitars like this work.

The other guitar to look for is an Epiphone Les Paul Special II. All of them have a Tele-like neck.

If you are stuck only sitting to play, look for guitars with more square bodies like a Tele, Epiphone Special, and so on. The Strat-like and Jaguar/Jazzmaster type guitars will be slippery in your lap.

TequilaCaster and RoscoeElegante like this.
  8. johnnymg

johnnymg TDPRI Member

Apr 8, 2012
    Central Cali Coast
    I would HIGHLY recommend a Squier Bullet Strat or Tele. Both are really good guitars.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier/Limited-Edition-Bullet-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar.gc

TequilaCaster likes this.
  9. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    Check out Guitar Fetish. They have clearance and blemish specials now and then.

10. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    The SX line of guitars seem to play well right out of the box. Often about $100+.

ianstrike likes this.
  11. 3bolt79

3bolt79 TDPRI Member

Saturday
    Oregon
    I second schmee’s recommendation of SX. I bought my wife a left handed P bass with a case for $150.00 from Romdo music online, brand new. Also, I bought an Ibanez ARZ200FM from GC used, but in mint condition, for $100.00. Getting a used guitar would be a good bet, if you know what you are looking for.

I have a friend that plays sitting in a wheelchair, and he plays a Les Paul style guitar because it sits well in his lap. The Ibanez I mentioned is an LP style guitar. I would also check out Michael Kelly guitars used. They are a good value. I also found a Cort M600 used, but in mint condition, for $150.00, and it has tone pro’s bridge and tailpiece, Duncan designed HB’s, and a coil splitter. Thos go for around $500.00 new.

Deals are out there, it just takes a lot of patience and looking to find one.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 1:31 PM
  12. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
  13. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sep 14, 2016
    not houston
    low end guitars can be set up to play well and stay in tune just like any other guitar.
    here is a vid from a strat talk challenge a few years ago.....its a squier affinity strat...all stock.

Mellencaster likes this.
  14. jdolecek48

jdolecek48 TDPRI Member

Nov 8, 2018
    Florida
    I'm disabled so my mobility is limited so it's hard

15. 3bolt79

3bolt79 TDPRI Member

Saturday
    Oregon
    I really liked this video. It was sort of like Neil Young (witH wrong notes here and there) and Joe Satriani (with a lot of right ones). I didn’t think that we can actually know how the guitar really sounds with the delay and whatnot. But it sounded good through my headphones.

heltershelton likes this.
  16. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    when i decided to switched from bass 3 years ago, i stumbled on an Epiphone SG with SD Alnico 2 pups in it on CL and was blown away, My first guitar was perfect for me and led to the current guitar collection madness,,for $160 so i started buying Epi's at stupid prices and putting pick ups in them ..the quality out of the QingDao factory is very very good. serial numbers starting with E if i remember. very obtainable decent quality guitar possible in your price range

Nickadermis likes this.
  17. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sep 14, 2016
    not houston
    thank you. it was recorded with a cheap phone.
    i dont think ive ever improvised anything without hitting wrong notes.....bound to happen when youre trying new things, lol.

18. DugT

DugT Tele-Meister

Sep 22, 2017
    northern CA
    What are you going to use for an amp?

19. 3bolt79

3bolt79 TDPRI Member

Saturday
    Oregon
    No worries man. It was really cool.

heltershelton likes this.
  20. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dec 19, 2017
    Chattanooga
    I’d say buy what you can afford. You’re just doing it for fun. You can upgrade anything for not a lot of money. Wind your strings back on themselves so that it creates a natural string lock. I dint plug in my electrics more than. I do plug them them in.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.