Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Lovepedal Bonetender

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by Bellacaster, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Holic

Sep 5, 2010
    Ypsilanti, MI
    I just placed an order for one of these off Reverb. I've re-entered the fuzz rabbit hole. I've wanted a tone bender MKII clone for many years now. I was into pedal building for awhile and even sourced all the components to make one, but then my daughter was born and didn't have the time or money to put into it.

As these aren't available anymore, I was pleased to see one for sale at a reasonable price, $110, on Reverb.

I was curious to hear about any of your experiences with the Bonetender.

2. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Holic

Sep 5, 2010
    Ypsilanti, MI
    All right. Since there isn't a whole lot of information out there on the Bonetender, I'm reporting back after the first band practice using it.

I've never been able to find a usable fuzz for a band situation. I have a Fulltone 69 clone, a Fuzzrite clone, I made both, a Danelectro French Toast, Behrenger Super Fuzz, and have had Russian and USA Big Muffs. I've been looking for a fuzz that can be used in multiple applications by rolling off the volume. The 69 does this very well, so maybe I should give that another shot, seems too flubby though.

A tonebender MK II clone seemed like might be what I was looking for. I narrowed it down to the EQD Tone Reaper, the Fulltone Soul Bender and the Bonetender by Lovepedal. I'm pretty sure the Fulltone would have been the most accurate clone, but the fact that the Bonetender reportedly cleaned up well by rolling off the volume sold it.

I used my PRRI with a Cry Baby, Soul Food set as a boost with little gain, the Bonetender and a Carbon Copy at band practice. I must say that the Bonetender did exactly what I was hoping it would do. I used it pretty much as an always on effect, with the volume and gain both set at about 1 o'clock, creating singing leads with tons of sustain and chewy power chords when fully open, causing the amp to overdrive as well. I was able to achieve great classic rock moderate distortion tones by rolling back the volume a bit and used the Soul Food for added clarity when needed. I was using a tele with custom shop nocasters. I think this will be my rig going forward.

The Bonetender is a great little pedal...and it is tiny. Can't recommend it enough. I was messing around with it going into my Traynor Bassmaster at very low amp volume with high volume on the pedal and it sounded great, more like a classic overdrive than a full on fuzz.

jddub440 likes this.
  3. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Holic

Sep 5, 2010
    Ypsilanti, MI
    Wow! It's worth every penny of $75! Dig the red enclosure as well. Mine's black.

4. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    I bought a Catalinbread Katzenkönig to serve as my Tonebender (which it is, mostly) but if I could've gotten a Bonetender for $75, that would've been my first choice. Super deal.

5. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    What transistors does the bonetender use?

6. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Holic

Sep 5, 2010
    Ypsilanti, MI
    I'm not sure. I've searched, but couldn't find anything. I haven't taken a peek at its guts yet. It's billed as a germanium voiced pedal, but stable, so I'm pretty sure they are silicon.

7. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    Mines the gold he was selling last year. $81 shipped. Sweet pedal. If I'm not mistaken your right next door to their shop. Union Lake, MI I think.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  8. Cosmicdancer

Cosmicdancer Tele-Meister

May 2, 2012
    Tennessee
    I pulled the trigger on the red version on sale last week. Can’t wait to give it a spin!! I’ve owned a handful of other fuzz pedals and never fallen totally in love. Couldn’t pass this one up for the price!

Bellacaster likes this.
  9. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Holic

Sep 5, 2010
    Ypsilanti, MI
    I believe they are in White Lake, MI, which is probably about an hour away from where I'm at. I had no idea that Lovepedal were out of Michigan until I was set on this pedal. I'd like to check out some of their other wares based on how much I like the Bonetender.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.