Love for Blues Jr Vs Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by texmck54, May 7, 2015.

1. texmck54

texmck54 Tele-Meister

I'm torn between these 2 amps for smaller rooms I play. Here in Canada
    I'll be paying 2X the price for the Deluxe over the Jr in the used market.
    Is the deluxe twice the amp the Jr is I don't use reverb very often & Trem.
    would be nice but can get a pedal for that. So what you say members.

2. blackguts

blackguts Tele-Meister

I have one of each, the Deluxe Reverb is a little on the heavy side for dragging around to practice and jams. I really like the Blues Junior for that. The Blues Junior's master volume will let me work without pedals if I want, as you can get it pretty grindy at a reasonable volume. However, I have noticed that diming the master and adjusting the gain volume to taste is a more pleasing tone to my ears. The Blues Junior does burn up a set of tubes every year.

3. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

I have both. The Deluxe is an outstanding amp that just sounds better at low volumes than the blues Jr. Blues Jr. is a really good amp too, but very different from the 6V6. I think overall the Deluxe is more adaptable in a wide variety of situations; small room, large room, apartment playing, etc.

Blues Jr is probably a better modding platform, if you are into that. But the Deluxe is the last amp you'll ever need to own.

4. JuneauMike

You can mod the Blues Jr to adjust the bias down if you are really hard on the tubes. Can also upsize the smallish output transformer.

This guy will fix you right up. http://billmaudio.com/wp/

Still think the Deluxe Reverb is more of an all-purpose amp.

5. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Smaller room and don't use reverb much.........get the Junior, cheaper and lighter to carry.

6. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

Gigged with both amps. I think if you can handle the extra weight of the Deluxe Reverb, and can stretch your budget, it is a much better amp- low volume or turned up. I was hoping the Blues Jnr would do the small club thing for me, but I was never happy with it. As an alternative on a budget, have a look at the current Peavey Bandit 112..I'm getting some great Fendery tones out of mine..and no pesky tubes!

7. vangoghsear

vangoghsear Tele-Meister

How about a Princeton?

8. JuneauMike

Princeton is even more expensive, and coveted, than Deluxe Reverb.

Yeah, don't really care for a stock Blues Jr. at low volume.

9. clarity451

clarity451 TDPRI Member

I went from the deluxe to the blues junior. The deluxe was obviously the better amp but hella heavy. The main thing about the blues jr is that it sounds boxy in comparison. It's still a solid amp. I would look at the ampeg gvt15. Very good medium between the two that I was happy with before I went vintage.

10. barker

barker Tele-Meister

Don't forget about the magic little amp that sits right between the BJR and DR, the 68 Custom Reissue Princeton:

Small and lightweight, check.
    Great trem and verb, check.
    Decent price, check.
    No mods required. Priceless

:)

11. JuneauMike

You got me there, I didn't realize a reissue PR was out. And it's 6V6 so will likely have a nice deep tone that the BJ lacks. Princeton Reverb RI would be a great option. Good luck finding a used one.

I did most of the BillM mods to my BJ and added a hemp speaker and each one got it closer to leaving the practice amp zone. Then I built a new upsized cab for it and the boxiness is gone. Big crisp tone now. Not sure what a new cab alone does for it but I'll bet it would be a big improvement over the tiny MDF box it comes in. That amp has great bones.

12. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Now the DR is too heavy ? Geesh ! For a minute I thought I was reading a Twin Reverb thread ! :?:

two totally different amps, both excellent. In this scenario you really need to understand the SOUND differences of these two amps...the DR offers the classic Fender 6V6 tone with the classic Fender tone stack on the front end, clean until you get up the knob a bit and drive the output...

On the other hand the Bjr is an EL84 amp, totally different sound. The MV and front end volume allow you to do things that cannot be done with a DR.

I find that these two amps are not even close in tone comparison...but they are both fine.

One is a supposed 22 watts and the other a supposed 15 which in the scheme of things is equal.

If cash is an issue, the Bjr is a fine performer with lots of flexibility.

Oh and it's not as heavy as a DR which actually isn't heavy at all! :lol:

13. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Blues Jr. is only half the amp the DR is (not even that as far as I'm concerned), but maybe that's all you need.

I'm talking build quality and reliability as much as tone.

14. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

How bout a Pro Junior? Very cheap used and a good sounding amp.

15. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

I think there is a reason folks pay double and more for a Deluxe Reverb or a Princeton. I don't care for the BJ. I would look at some other amps over the BJ...just about any tube amp.

16. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Like a peavey classic 30, a carvin, an ampeg, an Ibanez TSA 15 or 30, a Roland blues cube eg. lotta amps out there

17. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Holic

+1 on the Gvt15. I find myself using this amp more than any of my others ... But a speaker change is a must with this amp.

18. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

I've had both.

The Blues Jr is more portable--a big factor to me having to carry the amp up and down two flights of stairs every rehearsal and gig.

The BJr also has a "Fenderish" tone--scooped mids but not blackface/silverface.
    To me that was a big plus as I had used BF/SF Fenders as my main amps many years ago and had grown tired of the classic Fender sound. So I had a BJr for my main gigging amp as well as a Hot Rod Deluxe and a Pro Jr for six or seven years. All good amps, all different from one another.

After selling them off and going all modeler for a few years I bought a used DRRI. Turns out that it covers a lot of my needs. Also use a Ramparte and an Excelsior for then rest, both more portable than the DRRI.

If I ran into a BJr and could swap out my Ramparte and Excelsior for it, I'd do it. But the DRRI is staying

19. Jonzilla

Jonzilla Tele-Meister

I owned a TSA 15 and blues jr simultaneously for about 24 hours. The TSA 15 sounds great, but was surprising lower volume than the Blues Jr. I had to send it back. Cranked volume on the TSA was about equal to the Blues Jr on 3. I wouldn't consider it as an alternative to the BJr. Maybe the 30 would be better.

20. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Had Jr,..still have (DRRI,TSA15,C30)
    The DRRI is prob an amp, everyone should have, however,
    I have been gigging with my TSA15...and I am able
    to keep up with young drummer, barely, but, he is quite loud.lol
    C30 way loud..but, nice too....Jr is nice portable, also...takes
    speaker swaps..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.