Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Loudest/best budget bass amp?

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Luciano, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Hartke kickback.

2. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    What style of music do you play and how big is the band (and what gear do the other players use)?

Some amps are great for one style but lame for another. Also, are you playing 4 string or 5 string? That makes a huge difference.

Be aware that "watts" are pretty meaningless when it comes to "volume". Watts are heat/energy and it gets dissipated differently in different amp designs. Manufacturers also use different methods of measuring power - the number hinges on the % of harmonic distortion, and if they use a slightly higher number - by a fraction of a percent even - it can kick up the "watts" in a completely unusable way. Some 50 watt amps are much louder than 100 watt amps and so on.

Amp design, speaker efficiency and cabinet design are much more important. If you are checking out new amps at a store the best thing you can do is play them. Otherwise, reading reviews and comparisons is probably your best bet.

Forums tend to get you mostly everyone's personal favorite, which may not be relevant to what you do - as irrelevant as recommendations made without knowing if you play folk, or metal, or ambient jazz, or polka music....

3. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

Sep 28, 2010
    Columbia, MO
    I have this amp and have been gigging with it for several years. Loud and thumpy for sure. At ~90 lbs. I'm glad it has casters.

4. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2014
    Bucks Co. PA
    TC and Eden make decent stuff. Aguliar is good stuff too but $$$$$. Unless you are running through the sound system or playing lounge music I really don't think 100W will cut it. I have to play bass occasionally ... I used to carry a Peavey head with a 15" speaker cab that was loud enough. It got old so I sold it and bought a Mark bass amp. Class D power, loud as hell, sounds good and weighs less than 40lbs. It will kick your butt when you add the 210 extension cab wich bosts the output pwr to 500W
    In a bass amp you will get what you pay for. A lot of these less expensive amps like the Fender Rumble series do exactly that and sound like crap.
    All of that said if you can find a used Peavey TNT you may be able to get what you want on the cheap.

Good sounding bass amps ain't cheap.

5. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    I have the Rumble 100 and with a PBass it sounds really good. I have the first gen though so maybe that makes a difference. Mine sounds really good. And I used to play through a Peavey TNT with a 15” Black Widow speaker. Great punchy rig.
    Either of those can be had for less than $200 used.

6. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    My bass set up:
    Behringer BDI21 $29.99 new
    NRG Power Amp (USA) 125w $40 used
    PA Speaker (have 2 bought for $40, used one for vocals through PA and the other for bass)

This setup is rocking it! The BDI21 gives me a lot of sound options being a modeler. The setup also gives me versatility on how I use it coz it serves as an excellent guitar amp when I plug in my Boss GT-1 into the power amp (has a variety of amp sims). If there's a gig, I can just bring the BDI21 and plug it in the venue's PA.

I may get a bass cab for the setup when I chance on a good deal. But the PA speaker works just fine! With this setup, you can experiment until you find the best bass cab for you.

7. sluglas

sluglas TDPRI Member

Jul 26, 2013
    mattituck
    Find a used SWR Working Man's 15 , you will be glad you did!

8. jman72

jman72 Tele-Holic

Aug 31, 2013
    Central Florida
    I have a Hartke LH500 head that I bought used for $200 and paired with a Hartke 4x10 cab that I bought for $100 used. Total, that's $300 for a 500W killer bass rig that I can use at any size show. It was easily the best deal on a versatile bass rig. I know, not a combo amp (I looked at those, too), but really much better than any of the 100W combos I was looking at. Really, you do need more power for bass than you might think.

9. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo TDPRI Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Whitby On
    More bang for buck used, but I understand some peoples issue with possibly buying another's problem child. The Fender Rumble are nice, light, and LOUD. But the tone really isn't for everyone. Ampeg are a fair bit heavier, but if that's the tone you are looking for, it is worth the extra weight. I know it is for me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.