Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Loudest/best budget bass amp?

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Luciano, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Luciano

Luciano TDPRI Member

Apr 22, 2016
    Pepperland
    Our band has a bass amp, but it's a tiny 30w combo that came in a Silvertone starter pack. We intend to all pitch in to buy a new bass combo, preferably over 100w and under $350, for gigging/rehearsing. Anyone have suggestions for the best/loudest options?

2. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    Do you want "best" or do you want "loudest"? :D

New: Fender's latest Rumble V3 has a 1x12 100 watt combo for like $300 new I think.

Used:
    Acoustic makes some budget stuff... a used B100 combo should be less than $200.

You could look around for a Peavey TKO or something by Peavey.

Actually there are too many used bass combo options for me to list! You can probably get some decent loud stuff for $350. Do you have a store near you that sells used gear? You might even find a louder bass head and a cheap 1x15 that nobody wants to move...

Dismalhead likes this.

3. SolidSteak

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    soulman969 likes this.

4. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    I got a floor model Ampeg 115 v2. $302 with shipping. It is awesome. Bone rattling. I played with a guy who had the aforementioned Rumble. It was nice, but the Ampeg can get that organ pedal like feel that puts a pit in your stomach. 50lbs. That's important to me.

RodeoTex, BorderRadio and SolidSteak like this.

5. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 15, 2012
    Central PA
    The Ampeg BA115 units are nice...there are a few different models. They can be had pretty affordably.

I have a Peavey TKO 115. 100 dollar Craigslist score. It is far too heavy to want to use for gigs, but it makes a fine gear table and rehearsal/jam amp!

Rustynuts likes this.

6. Cadfael

Cadfael Tele-Meister

Nov 12, 2008
    Dortmund, Germany
    +1 TC Electronics ...

versatile and loud ...

soulman969 likes this.

7. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Afflicted

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    Used Rumbles are cheap and great.

I got a 2nd generation 150W Rumble for my daughter, and it rattles the house...$175 or so

Dismalhead likes this.

8. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Generally speaking, you'll need more than a hundred watts to get loud enough to play a mid-sized place. Options:

Look for a used Fender Rumble 200 or 500. It'll have plenty of power. I've got a new model Rumble 40 and it's loud enough for practices, probably not enough for a gig though.

Cheapest option is probably a used Peavey. Just make sure the wattage is there. I had a TKO115 for a long time and it was only 75 watts. Great, deep tone, but again probably not loud enough for a mid-sized place. No matter what Peavey you are looking at, expect it to weigh a ton.

Tommy Biggs likes this.

9. Luciano

Luciano TDPRI Member

Apr 22, 2016
    Pepperland
    I don't have a store near me that really sells used gear, and I'm not really one for buying used online sight-unseen. I was looking at the peavy max 115, if anyone has any experience with that.

10. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    Eden sells pretty nice stuff, my bass player just bought a 180w EC210 combo for about $400.00. I know thats a bit over budget but it sounds good and isn't too heavy.

11. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    Fender Rumble with the line out lets you tap into the PA as well.

PeavyTNT with the black widow speaker is great as well.

I have a 300watt Kustom mark bass head and a peavy 2x12 cabinet that is my go to. The Fender 100 watt is my haul around

12. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    I was going to just get a Fender Rumble, but I ran into a Line 6 Lowdown 110, and I couldn;t resist at $100.
    75 watts, 4-5 digital voices, compesssor and distortion, 1/10", in a 1 foot cube.
    I suspect that these weren;t very reliable, but it sounds very nice and gets pretty loud.

13. vrdyer

vrdyer TDPRI Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Texas

14. JCW308

JCW308 Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2016
    Telford, PA USA
    The Peaveys are extremely heavy and don't sound all that great.

15. SolidSteak

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    I haven't tried the combo, but I did try a Peavey MiniMax 500 head plugged into a 2x10 in a store and it sounded pretty good. The only thing I didn't like about it was the knobs... they just didn't seem sturdy enough for me, like they might be easy to break off. The combo seems like a pretty good deal; 300 watts for $350.

I dunno... if it was between a new Peavey max 115 ($350) and a new Ampeg BA115V2 ($400) I'd probably go for the Ampeg even though it's only 100 watts and the Peavey is 300. They both have XLR outs for a PA system too which is nice. Looks like the Acoustic 115 combo has an XLR out too. I think any of those 3 are great options.

Luciano and jimash like this.

16. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I'd suggest a used Roland Bass Cube 120.
    Lots of great features, light weight and plenty of power.
    You should be able to find one on CL for $200-300.

soulman969 likes this.

17. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2003
    Cochise, AZ
    soulman969 likes this.

18. Jonzilla

Jonzilla Tele-Meister

Mar 4, 2013
    Tennessee
    Thought about buying used? You into half priced gear? I picked up a used Ampeg BA210 that my band has used the past few months. $250 I think is what I paid. 450 Watts. Sounds good to us especially for the price. Check your local Craigslist. Test it before you buy, of course.

RodeoTex likes this.

19. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Holic

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.