Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Loud and clean amp-pickup question -Tad 6l6-Toneriders

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Sean B, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Sean B

Sean B TDPRI Member

Apr 17, 2017
    united kingdom
    Hi there, I'm playing a cvc telecaster with hot classics into a red knob twin running on 2 tad wgc 6l6 shorties in a 9 piece soul band and need a bit more headroom at gigs like we had today where I have to crank it.. I guess the answer to my problem is buy a quad of tad 6l6gc long bottles run the amp at full power and put lower output pickups in, but I'm tight and don't want to shell out the 80 quid for the quad,and the amp is still goddamed loud with 2 of the 4 power tubes in, it's just a wee turn off where I need it to stay clean at some gigs. So would you replace the tonerider hot classics which I love through this amp with their low output trt3 alnico 2s (but then I'm still turning up the amp), or buy a pair of the same tad wgc to make up the quad ( not sure if this is wise, first pair are 3 months old), or buy just a pair of the tad str long bottle tubes with greater headroom ? Or is it the inevitable both.

2. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Welcome to the forums Sean!

If the problem is a need for more headroom I would add the other two tubes.

ecosse and Wally like this.

3. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Garner, North Carolina
    Man, I had to read the OP twice. Need louder cleans in a nine piece soul band, red knob twin not getting it done, really?????? I played in a nine piece soul band in the 60s with a blonde Tremolux, a little short on clean volume. BF Twin handled that no problem at all, right tool for the job.

Of course it made sense after the re-read.

Sean, IMO the problem is not the pickups. You just need more power. :) Changing pickups won't help at all. Put the tubes back in, all the headroom you need.

soulman969 likes this.

4. Sean B

Sean B TDPRI Member

Apr 17, 2017
    united kingdom
    Thanks guys, what I wanted to hear.

soulman969 likes this.

5. 10thoufirst

10thoufirst Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Nov 16, 2013
    England
    Yep, put all the valves back for maximum cleanliness! I started doing that kind of stuff in the '60s and still love it. I do think changing your pickups would help in order to maintain a clean sould at all output levels. For a real Steve Cropper sound you'll need an AV '64, but in lieu of that, a set of Fender Original Vintage would suffice.
    Are you from Scotland? Yorkshire?

soulman969 likes this.

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    +1 on installing a quad of power tubes...with perhaps biasing in the 50% range..give or take.
    Re: pickups//input gain....try the #2 input. This hits the first gain stage with a lower gain signal and affects the way that first stage acts.
    Then, when you really want to make a difference and have a bit if Change saved up, install some high efificincy speakers....EV's cannot be matched for what you want, ime and IMHO. Yes.....they add weight.

soulman969 likes this.

7. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Meister

Oct 6, 2015
    blu ridge mtn cabin
    The Tonerider Hot Classic has become my favorite bridge pup.
    Put a full quartet of 6l6's in~you'll be clean for days! Your band
    would have to be awfully loud for that setup not to be clean.

8. Sean B

Sean B TDPRI Member

Apr 17, 2017
    united kingdom
    Must have been the wee bit... from Dorset. Ended up ordering quad for 75 quid. got the TAD 6l6gc's, haven't arrived yet..When I bought the amp it had a mix of old 80's looking 6l6s in there, couple Fender rebrands and sovetk and after couple of months one of them started going.. I had pair of the TAD6l6wgc's which I had in a Blues Deluxe I sold, so have been running just those 2 and it starts to breakup right around 12 o clock which is fine for most gigs but could use the extra. I do love the hot classics in this guitar but will eventually get lower output set, probably not ov's unless good used price. An AV 64 would be fantastic but way out of my budget. we play Northern Soul, so not really after particular sound, just good all round tele- fender clean- to chank chords on.

10thoufirst likes this.

9. Sean B

Sean B TDPRI Member

Apr 17, 2017
    united kingdom

10. Sean B

Sean B TDPRI Member

Apr 17, 2017
    united kingdom
    They are solid pickups. I can see why people rate them as a good mid price option. Quad 6l6 on the way.

11. Sean B

Sean B TDPRI Member

Apr 17, 2017
    united kingdom
    Thanks for the advice. The second guitar player uses my amp and I give him the low gain in for his humbuckers to keep us bit more even with volume all the way up on both guitars, but he only plays on half the set so that may change. EV's would be great but costly.I really do like the amp, it's not quite classic Twin Reverb quality cleans, but has a certain pleasing character to it, waiting for quad to arrive and will run at full power next gig.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.