Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Loud Amp Buzzing - help?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by danadig, Aug 17, 2017.

1. danadig

danadig TDPRI Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Baltimore
    So I have a Blues Jr. III and a new strat. I'll preface this with saying that I know virtually nothing about electronics.

Today I plugged my amp into a power strip, which was also running various things (cable box, tv, etc.). At first my guitar wasn't sounding through the amp, then I got a very loud buzzing noise and when i went to touch my guitar strings it was even louder and it just sounded pretty concerning in general. I turned it off, plugged the amp into the wall, and switched out my amp cable, and it seemed to be fine.

Has anyone had this before? Is it harmful to plug your amp into a power strip that's running other things? Or was it just a bad cable?

Thanks!

2. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    From your description I'm thinking bad cable. Try it out again to see if you can isolate it.

3. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    I suggest buying a wall outlet tester at Home Depot or a hardware store. Your problem sounds like a non-grounded power strip - you can check your wall outlets and the outlets on the power strip just by plugging the $6 gadget in and looking at the 3 lights.

My other thought is the additional things you have plugged into the strip, although having it change when touching the strings is almost always a group problem.

However, guitar amps hate being plugged into the same circuit as computers, TV's and other electronic equipment - plus anything at all with electric motors (appliances, refrigerators etc). And do not play close to TV's computers and similar gear - the guitar will pick up stray RF waves and you'll get a different type of hum.

Andy B likes this.

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Is this noise a buzz or a hum?? If it is a hum, you may have a found loop in that rig set-up.

5. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    You changed 2 things and the problem went away.

Change one back and see what happens. If the problem comes back, you found the culprit.
    If not, repeat the process by changing the OTHER thing.

It's got to be one or the other.

Also, it's not harmful to plug an amp into a power strip that has other things plugged into it. However, depending on the environment and what those other things are, you may introduce noise, as @Silverface described.

An ungrounded or faulty power strip could also be a problem. I've seen old power strips with bad outlets in them, too - where some outlets are fine and others have gone bad.

6. danadig

danadig TDPRI Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Baltimore

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.