Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Losing interest in the guitar.

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Jimmy Dean, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

I started out on bass in 1965, played it for about 4 years & gave it up for the guitar. I have played guitar since. Just over a year ago I got an inexpencive Gretch Jr Jet shortscale bass. I have so much fun playing this thing that I don't like picking up the guitar anymore. I find that I am learning more about music in general & understanding scales. I am also finding that I am getting alot more opportunities to play. Should have stuck with it years ago.
  2. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2012
    Although guitar has been my main instrument since '65, I keep a P-bass around for some variety in my life. I started learning the bass around '96 so I could put some bottom in my song demos. It fascinated me once I started playing it.
  3. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Follow your muse where it will.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin Staff Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Near TELE-Town (Wash. DC)
    Admin Post
    I've been playing guitar for almost 5 decades, and bass for 4 decades. I've said for many years that everyone always needs a bass player; no one ever needs another guitar player. :D CS
  6. dman

dman Tele-Afflicted

Sep 28, 2008
    Antioch, IL
    I picked up a Korean Squier Jazz bass and a little Crate bass amp for $100 off of CL about a year ago. It's really a fun change of pace to play bass along with CDs...I'm no James Jamerson, but,'s fun!
  7. thumbpick

thumbpick Tele-Afflicted

Nov 22, 2012
    um... well... a bass is a guitar
  8. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2009
    + a million.
  9. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity

May 2, 2003
    yeah I took up bagpipes cause of that
  10. Delta Blues

Delta Blues Tele-Afflicted

Dec 22, 2011
    I quit playing guitar for almost a decade due to a divorce. I was helping my dad with a stallion one day when the horse got agitated by my dad and crushed me into a wood fence. The horses weight blew out my shoulder. I pretty much didn't have a right arm for a year. It was a very painful ordeal. Months later by chance I acquired a guitar in a trade. That was all it took to reignite that old spark. I got a amp from the pawnshop a few days later. I actually used the guitar as a exercise tool to rehabilitate my shoulder and arm muscles. To this day I still don't have a full range of motion. Probably 90%. But it was the guitar that got me back feeling human again.
  11. honeycreek

honeycreek Tele-Afflicted

Jun 16, 2009
    I don't understand why playing 1 means you can't play the other? Perhaps I'm a little strange but I play a lot of different instruments and find that focusing on one instrument almost always makes me a better musician on the others.
  12. chippertheripper

chippertheripper Friend of Leo's

Dec 26, 2010
    Fhvn ma
    Though quite a bit ummm....younger.... than you, I'm sort of doing the same thing, but with different results. Now that I'm back to playing bass and forced to play real scales and runs, I can't wait to play guitar and apply what I'm learning. I hope in the end it makes me a better guitarist all around. Nowhere to go but up, IMO.
  13. LarsOS

LarsOS Tele-Holic

Oct 24, 2011
    I know exactly what you mean. I tried to be a guitarist for three years. Going back to the bass is the best and most inspiring thing I've done in a long time. At least three years. :lol:
  14. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

I have never given up on the guitar... It gave up on me!
  15. KCKC

KCKC Tele-Afflicted

Aug 10, 2008
    Hingham, MA
    I've recently been "re-inspired" in my bass playing. I have a guitar I'll write tunes on but lately I've really been exploring the nuance of bass and laying down a rock solid groove with confidence.

I could be off base - no pun intended - but I think there is a difference in the sound of my playing when I'm "tentative" vs. 100% confident as to my playing a tune.

I love playing bass!

16. WCK85

WCK85 Tele-Meister

Apr 26, 2010
    I traded for a Japanese Fender P-bass a few months ago. I really wanted a bass so I could gig more. I love playing guitar but I also love playing music. There are SO many guitar players out there.
  17. akukulich

akukulich Tele-Meister

Jul 7, 2008
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I went the other direction. I've been playing the bass since about 1980 and have always loved it and kept busy at it. My wife gave me a Tele for my 40th birthday, and I haven't wanted to put it down since. Now I gig regularly on both instruments but if I had to choose, I'd play guitar. I felt weird about that for a while, like I was wasting my experience. One day I figured out that everything I learned about the bass and playing in the rhythm section influences what I do on the guitar. It's all part of the process.
  18. King Creole

King Creole Tele-Afflicted

Jan 24, 2011
    I like playing other instruments to keep things fresh. I've played guitar for 25 years, mandolin for 15 years, and fiddle for 5 years. Playing mandolin and fiddle have definitely helped me be a better guitarist and vice versa. And if I get sick of one, I play another instrument. I'm also a lot more in demand not being just another guitarist.

I don't need to learn the bass because my wife is a great bass player. And my ego is too big to play bass right.
  19. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    I play both. I get a different musical / emotional experience from them, and I enjoy playing them both.
  20. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I still love to play both.
    I've played guitar for 45 years, and bass for 20.
    My bass playing is stuck at the 5 year chops level, but I actually
    like playing bass a little more.
    It's all about the drummer, with bass, for me.
    I great drummer will "lift" you.
    Ironically, every gig I have this month, including NYE is a bass gig.
    Maybe Im gettin' better at it.
  21. '56Teleman

'56Teleman Tele-Afflicted

Feb 25, 2006
    In The Basement
    I've thought of starting a jug band but every time I get one empty enough to get some tonal range out of it I fall over.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.