Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Los Lobos sound

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by LoneWolfBTFB, Feb 4, 2017.

1. LoneWolfBTFB

LoneWolfBTFB TDPRI Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Ont. Canada
    Love these guys Tele sounds....Theres a song....Made To Break Your Heart...Love the sound Cesar Rosas and David Hidalgo have on that song...almost between OD and distortion....anyone got an idea how to get that sound....Both use an Ibanez Tube Screamer...David also uses an Aria Disnortion( way overpriced) and a Philosophers stone... I play a Fender Squier Affinity thru a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

LW

bottlenecker, MickM, klanig and 9 others like this.

2. LoneWolfBTFB

Feb 7, 2014
    Ont. Canada
    And this song too..love the sound...

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    David's on fire on this one.
    I forget how much I like these guys.
    So consistently strong and soulful!
    Thanks for posting it!

4. LoneWolfBTFB

Feb 7, 2014
    Ont. Canada
    Ur welcome Bro...

LW

5. Strum und Twang

Strum und Twang Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Sep 4, 2011
    Amarillo, TX
    One would be hard-pressed to find more tasteful brilliance live than the offerings of Mr. Hidalgo and Mr. Rosas.

savofenno and NilsZippo like this.

6. chemobrain

chemobrain Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    these guys rock me to my soul.

BorderRadio and Strum und Twang like this.

7. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    MA
    That's a cool guitar, Esquire style, with Cab pickguard, but no switch, and a different pickup, not sure what that is? Toaster?

Los Lobos.JPG

8. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

Feb 6, 2011
    Chicago
    These guys are just tone and song monsters.

9. Raul

Raul TDPRI Member

Mar 17, 2003
    NM desert
    This. Entire band is fantastic, great players all. Extremely cool, down to earth as well.

For fly in gigs, they use rented amps. I can't recall what pedals they were using a couple years back, but that's mainly because I didn't see anything rare or vintage. Pretty much stuff you could get at Guitar Center. Absolutely great players, that could probably make anything sound good.

10. LoneWolfBTFB

Feb 7, 2014
    Ont. Canada
    Heres another pic of his Esquire...cant find any info...he has a couple of guitar gurus to build for him..May be an original 50s...big bucks..heres some info on the Esquire.. I remember when I was young I had a Raven ..knockoff of an Esquire..single pup...wish still had it Ida hot rodded that one..

I admit that the Fender Esquire is one of my favorite guitars ever, and I find its sound and simplicity very appealing. Most people think of it as a poor man’s Telecaster or a forerunner to the Tele, but this is simply wrong. Yes, the Esquire sports only a single bridge pickup, while the Telecaster has two pickups, but the Esquire is not a Telecaster with a missing neck pickup, but rather a distinct model with its own sound. This is because of its unique wiring and also because the lack of a neck pickup causes less magnetic pull on the strings. This reduced pull gives the Esquire a more percussive attack, more harmonic overtones, and makes it more responsive than a Telecaster.

Attached Files:

11. LoneWolfBTFB

Feb 7, 2014
    Ont. Canada
    Wiring diagram...Esquire

wire.JPG

12. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    There was an article about Hidalgo in Fretboard Journal a couple years back. From my notes, at that time, he was using these two pedals, among others:
    Jam Pedals Dynassor compressor and
    Pigtronix Fat drive

13. LoneWolfBTFB

Feb 7, 2014
    Ont. Canada
    Teletimetx...yes read that article...Did some heavy researching on his pedals....
    Lately Jam pedals has given him and Cesar a few pedals to try out...Looked up Cesars pedals...uses a Tonebone distortion and Tubescreamer....among others..Their tone will prolly remain a mystery...change up amps a lot too....But I will experiment with pedal combos.....Thks all...

LW

14. Slidertom

Slidertom Tele-Meister

Jul 16, 2014
    So-Cal
    Give a listen to "One time, one night" by Los Lobos.
    Talk about dueling Tele's! Those guys have the Tele sound down to a science.

stinkey likes this.

15. LoneWolfBTFB

Feb 7, 2014
    Ont. Canada
    Slidertom...yup another good one...Made To Break Your Heart is the best one so far...(IMO) the Tele sounds are just amazing...incorporated some of the chords into a song im doin......Im in Ont Canada..thought Id see where they were playin a gig..well damned if they werent playin about 3 hrs away that same night...oh well.:mad:...next time..

LW

16. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thanks for that song, first I heard it.

17. Slidertom

Slidertom Tele-Meister

Jul 16, 2014
    So-Cal
    Another Los Lobos song, tho no Tele's, is "Emily" live. Great song with about an 8 second solo blast from a Strat that is amazing! Give it a listen sometime. What a band.

capt pearl likes this.

18. LoneWolfBTFB

Feb 7, 2014
    Ont. Canada
    That is a good song...countryish...heck...Cesar is playin a Fender Kingman acoustic...same one I got ..cool..Thks fer the heads up Slider...Peace out....

LW

Slidertom likes this.

19. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Greatest band in America

Doug 54, bottlenecker and Slidertom like this.

20. CodeBlue

CodeBlue Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2006
    Southen Indiana
    [​IMG]
    Great band, good guys, too cool for the mainstream I suppose.

bottlenecker likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.