'Lords of Chaos:' Norwegian Black Metal Film

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by StrangerNY, Mar 22, 2019.

1. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I remember reading about the Black Metal Murder, and now there's a film coming out about it. And some of the guys who lived it are talking about it...

"That period of my life is a swampy lake with skeletons in it,” says Rune Eriksen, AKA guitarist Blasphemer. “This will probably be one of the very few moments I’m willing to go back and talk about it.”

It has been 11 years since Eriksen left Mayhem, the world’s most aptly named band. He joined in 1994, rejuvenating the Norwegian black metal group after their guitarist Øystein Aarseth, known as Euronymous, had been murdered by their former bassist Varg Vikernes, AKA Count Grishnackh. Three years before that, their singer Pelle Ohlin, also known as Dead, killed himself. Understandably, Eriksen has moved on.

Norwegian black metal, though, is inseparable from its history. This month sees the release of Lords of Chaos, director Jonas Åkerlund’s intense dramatisation of events, focusing on the friendship and fatal rift between Aarseth (played by Rory Culkin) and Vikernes (Emory Cohen). It is bruising and brutal – when it screened at the London film festival last November, a man vomited, a woman fainted and an ambulance was summoned.

I'll readily admit to not understanding how a music scene could get so completely out of control. Should make for a fascinating film, though.

- D

charchar11 likes this.
  2. TheMindful

TheMindful Tele-Meister

Racism, anti-religion and gang mentality all centered around music is basically how that happened. Is this going to be streaming somewhere?

3. StrangerNY

I'd imagine one or another service will pick it up. Chances of a theatrical release are pretty slim IMO.

- D

TheMindful likes this.
  4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Varg, a central character portrayed in that film, now vlogs regularly. He did time for either killing his bandmate Euronymous or helping esplode a church, I don't remember which (maybe both). Those crazy vikings :confused: It was more than music, it was a spearheading of a movement the details of which we can't talk about here

Anyway, he's more or less taken a different path now, he encourages an off-the-grid existence and he's still quite nationalist, but really quite a nice guy, seemingly

TheMindful and StrangerNY like this.
  5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Since I know NOTHING about any of this, I have to say this sounds like a false narrative invented to propel a band's image and reputation. Is this for REAL???????? Sounds somewhat like the McMartin Pre-School/Day Care scandal of several years back. .......maybe i can't HANDLE the truth!!!!

Mexitele Blues likes this.
  6. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Musicians have always been out of control. Not all of them, probably the same percentage as out of control people who are not musicians. I got to admit i love some mayhem, i was about to post a question in the Tips section about them.

I have a hard time with the vocal, but musically, i think it s fine.

StrangerNY likes this.
  7. StrangerNY

Oh, it's real. Here's some background.

- D

8. TheMindful

TheMindful Tele-Meister

Both for murdering Euronymous, and burning three churches. He also escaped from prison at one point. Btw I hope it's called Varg's Vlog, rolls off the tongue.

Black metal is so raw, I could never fully get into it. In small doses I can get down; the atmospheres are pretty grim and cool, lyrics are cool too, if you're into dark subject matter. For such a raw genre, Hellhammer is a really amazing and skilled drummer.

9. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

It's called ThuleanPerspective
    https://www.youtube.com/user/ThuleanPerspective

...and he's a little whack-attack about some stuff, and spot-on about lots of things

10. TheMindful

TheMindful Tele-Meister

11. StrangerNY

Pretty good guitar tones, but yeah - the vocals get annoying really fast. I did get 20 minutes into the video, but it wasn't easy.

- D

12. charchar11

charchar11 TDPRI Member

I definitely wanna see this

13. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Like most musical movies, most of the folks involved in the scene back then claim this movie is utter carp.

14. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

15. Steve 78

Steve 78 Tele-Afflicted

The book Lords of Chaos was published in 1998. Yes there were murders, church burnings, etc. But some of the people involved have said that the book was poorly researched so unless you were there, who knows.

Some really great music came out of that scene but as for the rest of it, meh...

johnny k likes this.
  16. Steve 78

Steve 78 Tele-Afflicted

There was also a documentary from 2008 called Before the Light Takes Us which has interviews with Varg and Fenriz (who was arguably the most musically influential person in the scene) which is good to check out of you're interested in 90s Norwegian black metal.

johnny k likes this.
  17. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

Here is a trailer. It looks cheesy like the film Control which is about Joy Division. It looks to be a hit piece about Varg, so it's understandable why he is calling this film balderdash. I prefer unvarnished documentaries with copious interviews of all concerned, so I can understand his disdain.

Varg did time both for the murder of Euronymous and burning churches. It has been speculated that he killed Euronymous over unpaid royalties for Varg's solo project Burzum. He apparently now lives in France and has sired 7 children since being released. His ambient music is really cool, but I don't agree with many of his viewpoints.

18. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

There are a few documentaries on youtube about black metal. Don t know if many people here are interedted by this particular genre though. I ve never see a BM band playing a tele. ;)

Steve 78 and BorderRadio like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.