Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Looper for live solo guitar use question

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Whoa Tele, Oct 3, 2017.

1. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Holic

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    One more thing about having a dedicated "stop" stomp switch: when you're done soloing and want to go back to playing rhythm, it's nice to just step on one button once (in rhythm with what you're playing). Makes for an easier transition.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

2. BrightonRT

BrightonRT TDPRI Member

Mar 17, 2015
    Brighton, MI
    Hitting the stop button on the Ditto X2 while recording does save the loop and prevent playback. It takes a lot of practice but is a lot of fun once you get used to it. You do have to be a little choosy with songs, but anything like a regular 12 bar blues or a very consistent (and relatively short) chord progression will work.

3. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Meister

Dec 20, 2010
    Harrisburg, PA area
    You might want to think about this part of your question as well.

How is your monitoring situation? For solo acoustic gigs I have a powered speaker that doesn't point toward me (for feedback reasons). I can't hear it well during gigs- and you need to hear that loop. I ended up getting a cheap powered floor monitor to pull this off, which meant I needed a mixer too.

Also, for the soloing it helps to have a boost and a different enough tone to get separation from the loop, otherwise the solo is lost.

IMO the best approach is just to start with the cheapest looper you can find and see if you actually like the mechanics of looping. Like @Ira7 and others noted, it takes a fair bit of practice just to get to the point where you can turn the loops on and off in time.

You also have to learn how to play a loop that sounds good ~as a loop~ meaning simple strumming patterns, etc. The Stevie Snacks guy did a vid on that, link is below. EDIT: this specific part starts at 3:48 but the whole vid is kind of useful for using looper as rhythm + solo.

By the time you get the basics down, you'll know what features you want- silent clear, off-board start/stop, volume pedal on the loop, solo boost, a looper for mic or just guitar (egg shaker, anyone?), etc. That's when you get your actual looping rig, and sell the old looper or keep it for messing around in the practice room and not having to set up the full rig.

Also, FWIW, don't forget that the stereo loopers actually have two separate loops in them, they don't get mixed down. So you can run guit in the "left" channel and out to the amp, and a hand percussion mic XLR-to-inst through the right and out to a PA. Opens up some possibilities even for the cheaper loopers (like Jamman Express).

Loop vid:

4. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

OMG nevermind learning how to use a looper, I give up . . . this guy is amazing.
    Steve Via on the fly . . . .

5. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Holic

Sep 11, 2016
    L.A.
    This why I use the FS-6 footswitch with my RC-3. I have the option to stop it with the RC-3 footswitch and the loop will start playing immediately. If I stop it with the FS-6 footswitch it stores the loop and then I can trigger it later with the RC-3 footswitch.

Example: Mama Tried - I had to rearrange from Hag's original to one more like the Grateful Dead version. But I sing it more like Hag. So I play and sing the first verse normally. Beginning the second verse is where I start a loop so RC-3 footswitch once, sing and play the 2nd verse, then FS-6 switch at the end stops the loop and stores but doesn't play it. I sing and play the chorus then hit the RC-3 switch and play a solo over the verse chords. Hit the FS-6 at the end of the solo and resume playing and singing until the end.

I also have the option of playing to loops I've made ahead of time as well as loops I've made in Garageband and then downloaded to the RC-3. I don't like this option as much. I find it difficult to sync the time and getting good levels with prerecorded things.

Another cool reason to have the FS-6 footswitch with the RC-3 is that the left footswitch toggles through memory slots. I've saved various loops just to practice to and it's nice not to have to bend down to access them.

Working with the RC-3 has given me an idea of what I want in my next looper. That said, I'm glad I got the RC-3. Even though I see it's limitations for solo live performance it's still a great tool and even when I get a more sophisticated looper I will keep the RC-3 for practice and such.

6. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Tele-Afflicted

Mar 20, 2009
    Smyrna Ga.
    Thanks everyone. I think I will start off with the Ditto X2. Even if i can make it work live it should still be a good practice tool.

7. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    Had a Boss RC20xl. It was good, but had too nuch features that i don't need or know how to use. It was a tone sucker so I tried a TC Ditto X2. I loved its simplicity and true bypass. But I wanted the ability to record a 2nd progression. So I eventually got the TC Ditto X4. It is a keeper!

8. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

check out this demo of the RC300

9. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    You'll get kick out this. It's all in the toes.

10. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    And this man, after seeing him live Solo back in 90's was why I bought Lexicon Jamman rack.

11. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.