Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Looper for live solo guitar use question

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Whoa Tele, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Tele-Afflicted

Mar 20, 2009
    Smyrna Ga.
    I'm looking for a looper to use in a live solo gig and would like to record the rhythm gtr. Part as I'm singing the verse then solo over it later in the song. What would be the best unit to use for this purpose and how difficult is it to do? I imagine it would take some practice to get my timing down but i would prefer not to play over pre recorded tracks. Thanks

Richie-string likes this.

2. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2016
    Stygian Gulf
    Ditto Looper by TC Electronic.

Grizz2k and Ripradiant like this.

3. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Holic

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    I've used the DittoX2 for this.
    I had an RC-3 when I first started, but playing a verse of rhythm, then stopping it required 2 perfectly timed stomps. With the DittoX2, I had an extra stomp switch to stop recording.

So, I played first verse, capturing the rhythm with the looper, stopped at the end, then when it came time for the guitar solo, I just hit the button to playback and it took off while I noodled.

A single stomp looper was just too hard for me to coordinate while I was playing and singing and trying to change my guitar between rhythm and lead sounds.

Edit to say: any looper with two switches (one to dedicate to start/stop) would work best. There are lots out there. I chose the TC because the analog dry-through doesn't jack with my guitar tone when I'm not using it.

4. tominwa

tominwa Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2016
    Olympia, Wa
    Ya the DittoX2. Had the same problem with the little one button one as well referenced above.

ukepicker likes this.

5. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Tele-Afflicted

Mar 20, 2009
    Smyrna Ga.
    Thanks for the info.

6. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Tele-Afflicted

Feb 25, 2011
    Kentucky
    I would suggest to practice with those things A LOT before gigging.

Richie-string and Ira7 like this.

7. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

Since I can't commit to a band I have used the boss, jamman, and zoom loopers a lot.
    If you use a 1 button looper I have found that by putting the drums on the pedal first, it sets the loop length and I just add the guitars over it. Just add the rhythm then keep overdubbing.
    Perhaps the Boss RC-300 3 with it's 3 separate loops would be best for your needs.
    Good luck, M

Richie-string and El Tele Lobo like this.

8. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    OH...

Truer words have never been spoken. A looper is not as easy as it looks, not to mention, that if you're gigging, it's kind of retarded to play and store the rhythm track, and then play lead/melody over it. You have to choose your song list real carefully for this kind of usage. It just won't work for most songs, unless you sing.

Loopers are magic, but damn, for live work, you have to put in 50 hours of practice for each song to get the looper action right.

Definitely buy one! But don't expect what you might be now expecting from it on Day One.

Grizz2k and Richie-string like this.

9. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    I use a looper for live performance but I create the backup track in advance and have it saved in a program number with a count in. Too many chances of a screw up doing it on the fly. Bad for you and the audience. Platefire

rich815 and Richie-string like this.

10. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    kokko flp2 sos looper, ditto clone for $30.

Felino likes this.

11. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Holic

Sep 11, 2016
    L.A.
    I've been working at this for a while now. I'm using an RC-3 with an FS-6 footswitch. The footswitch is indispensable IMO. It's hard to do rhythms on the fly still. I have a list of songs where I can make a loop while I'm singing and solo over it.

Whichever one you get practice making clean loops that smoothly loop with no glitches. That's the biggest thing to get down at first. It can be hard but keep at it and you'll get the feel for it.

If I get serious about trying to make some money at this I would like to get an RC-300.

12. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Holic

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
    This is all good advice. I've rearranged a few songs like Melissa to make the intro and verse pattern time out right for a good loop, but you gotta have a good take or you'll cringe yourself and choke.

13. JayDee

JayDee Tele-Meister

Apr 7, 2009
    Missouri
    I work some solo gigs and I use the original version TC Electronic Ditto. Just pay attention to your timing. You'll soon get a feel for what songs it will work the best for. Have fun.

14. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    If your talking about recording a loop and having it hold for you, then trigger it later in song your gonna have to developed some fancy footwork techniques. Most Loopers start playing the loop back as soon as you finalize loop unless you quickly throw in a 2nd stop command after you finalize loop.

15. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    There are simple loopers like Ditto or Boss RC1 and clones. And there are loopers for storing multiple loops, and even download full backing tracks like the Boss RC3 or Digitech Jamman. The only limit is your ability to use them in a convincing way:

oldfish and Richie-string like this.

16. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    Yep, this is a good point, that's exactly how most loopers work. I'd have to experiment with my ditto X2 (which I recommend, great pedal imo) to see if I can pause it immediately. Others more knowledgeable with loopers may know of one that can do this easily.

17. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

Nice find.

18. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    Thanks, M is one of the (rare) french guitar heroes. He plays with a band usually, this was just for show off. I've seen many others use a looper on stage with a band, but sparingly, as any effect, and a few jazz musicians and singers use it solo, but you have to be very very good at it or it gets boring.

This one with vocals:

19. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Holic

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    That's how I use mine sometimes (see my original post above). Record the loop. Stop recording (while holding the loop, not playing). Then start the loop playback at the appropriate time. You need a dedicated "stop" switch. Otherwise you're trying to double tap to stop the recording without immediate playback.

Something else to think about: available loop length time. I've had pedals with 20 second loopers and that won't always cover a full verse progression.

20. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Tele-Afflicted

Ditto......... ;-)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.