Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Looking for real world Quilter experience...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jakedog, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Preferably NOT living room/bedroom stories. Who's actually gigging these in decent small/medium rooms (50-500 people) with and without PA reinforcement, what kind of cabs are you using, etc?

I specifically want to know about dynamics, breakup, cleanup, top end quality (brittle highs? Or lacking?) and wattage levels.

I don't have a place around here to try them out, and I am CRAZY curious.

I know the "master" is a sort of attenuator. Do you find yourself needing 100 or more watts? Or does it have plenty of power at lower settings?

For comparison, I often gig with an 80 watt Transtube Peavey Bandit. I'll set the T-Dynamics at 50% or so, and have never had to run the master over 4-4.5 on the dial. Even in a really loud six piece. Do the Quilter amps have that kind of power on tap?

Enquiring minds want to know...

Looking into the possibility of putting a head on my pedal board and using a lightweight 1x12 cab. My favorite tones are British (more Marshall than Vox) clean with a bit of breakup when I dig in. I use pedals for more dirt, delay, and modulation. Would prefer to have a bit of verb on board, but it's not a deal breaker either way. Styles cover honky tonk, Texas songwriter, country rock, alt country, blues, blues rock, etc. Nothing modern or high gain.

2. PinewoodRo

PinewoodRo Tele-Afflicted

I would also be very interested to hear about gigging these. Particularly the 101 mini

Jakedog likes this.

3. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    subscribed

next on my get list is a Microblock 45, which I'll run to a 12" Eminence Alessandro

and out of a Flint, eventually

Jakedog likes this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2016
    Ontario Canada
    I think there's a lot of us in the same boat.
    Very interested,but nowhere to try them.
    I'm considering a Quilter 101 mini reverb with a Mojotone Lite 1x12.

Doug 54 and Jakedog like this.

6. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

Apr 30, 2008
    Peterborough, UK
    I wonder why Quilter haven't been able to break through and get their product into dealerships all over the place. There's only one dealer in the UK.

Jakedog likes this.

7. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Holic

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    I don't really gig very much, but I did play mine (TB200) through a 2x12 open back at an outdoor party, just me and a drummer, and it matched the drummer's volume with the master on about 9 o'clock and the gain at like 2 IIRC. There's definitely nothing "brittle" about the sound at any volume.

I used to have a red stripe Bandit (awesome amp) and a Quilter easily has more power than that. The Bandit is kinda more versatile though, and has very decent reverb.

Jakedog likes this.

8. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    A friend of mine has a bunch of their gear (he sort of endorses them) plays a Pro Block next to a loud guitarist who plays an AC30 (he's loud through a 5 watt amp though, just one of those loud guys). The Pro Block has plenty of power to keep up with that, and more to spare. The 101 can, but it's not squeaky clean at that needed volume--though an AC30 can be really loud.

The power is there. The touch and dynamics can be dialed in, however there is a lot of presence with these amps. If you're into vintage tweed tones it'll be that quick attack/presence that irks you. Yes they can be dialed in to a have a mid-focused tweed-type voice, but that quick attack/presence is always there (except if you have a model with the limiter control--that thing is magic).

The FullQ voicing is their default voicing. If an amp doesn't have a voicing function, then it's preset voicing is the FullQ. It is not unlike the Fender Sound. The less orthodox tone control--triQ--is actually pretty intuitive once you spend a few minutes with it, though some of their models do have traditional TB, or TMB.

He plays through old Jensen speakers (P12PS), a Warehouse speaker (whatever their greenback copy is) and a Tone Tubby Red or Blue--he likes the Red better.

I see lots of them around out here since they're located here.

I see lots of vintage nuts using them and liking them. They're not just a great backup option, they do sound very good.

If I was in the market for one and didn't need supermax clean headroom (ie Pro Block 200) I'd go for the new 101 reverb. It not only has reverb, but the limiter too, and TMB controls. The T and B are traditional passive controls and the M is active and can dial in lots of mids or scoop them out.

Personally I think the 101 is just enough for the the average club type venue, but some guys like lots of reserve power and use lots of pedals.

Most of their personal design comes from having almost twice the power that is advertised. They do this to give the amps that punchy power that is associated with tubes as well as that transient dynamic punch.

middy, Jakedog and Doug 54 like this.

9. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    They have a definite voice. You either like it or you don't.

In terms of power, I feel like they punch above typical solid state ratings but below comparable tube ratings.

I used mine (a combo) at one rehearsal and then took it back. I just didn't love the voice.

I kept my old Bandit much longer and used it at a bunch of rehearsals and shows, if that means anything.

Wrong-Note Rod and Jakedog like this.

10. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

So from your experience, you like your Bandit more than the Quilter you played? Sounds like the Quilter just had more power?

I have an old 1x12 Bandit that is my backup amp (I would also describe it as an "awesome amp").

Jakedog likes this.

11. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    I just bought a 101 reverb but I won't have it for about a week.
    My buddy has the Problock 200 and it is Really loud. He used it at an outdoor gig Friday and was only running it at about 20 watts. He was playing it at our shop and got it up to 100 watts , I can't imagine ever using one at that level, reminded me of my 135 watt SF Twin.
    He does have one of the Quilter 2-8 cabinets and it's impressive really diperses the sound well. I'll probably build one because I won't pay $700.

And my buddy has some real nice tube amps, 69 Fender Deluxe Reverb , Brown Fender Super, Goodsell, just sold a Dr Z Z28.
    He doesn't think the Quilter neccesarily sounds as good as those amps but it's compact, should be totally reliable, and sounds great in a band mix.
    His Problock does have the XLR direct out, which he used at a small gig Sat straight into the PA.

The 101 mini reverb doesn't have that, it does have a headphone out which probably can be used as a direct out.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    Jakedog likes this.

12. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2016
    Ontario Canada
    Looking forward to your report.
    The 101 reverb is the Quilter that has my interest.

Jakedog likes this.

13. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Meister

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Also subscribing. Quilter or Katana, I'm thinking about one or the other.

Jakedog likes this.

14. UsernameTaken

UsernameTaken The Smooth and the Fast Ad Free + Supporter

Jan 31, 2017
    Earth
    I just got the Micro Block 45 and all I can say is WOW!!! I don't think by itself it has enough gas for a medium size club but with an OD/clean boost in front it has more than enough. I am running it as a BU amp and I have not gigged with it yet I have used it in practice and has more than enough gas for the stuff I play. It will be gigged for the first time Thursday so I will let you know how it handles the room (300 ppl) we also have a superb PA and the cab is mic'd.

I am running it into a 12" Emmi Delta Pro with my Wampler Euphoria in front and it sounds wonderful! Each time I plug it in I just can't believe it! For the money with that form factor make it a no brainer as a BU amp. Even as a primary amp if that is the desire.

I agree that it's voice on it's own is not the best but with pedals in front it shapes up very nicely. I am getting Fendery all day.

Just amazing...

quiltermb.jpg

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    ndcaster and Jakedog like this.

15. Ringo

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    I wanted to like the 50 watt Boss Katana combo amp, and it did sound good playing at home.
    But when I tried it at band practice it just disappeared in the mix, and I had it cranked up pretty high, my Blues Jr seems louder and sits in the mix just fine and it's a 15 watt tube amp , so I sent the Boss Katana back.

For now I'll be using the Quilter 101 mini reverb w a 1-12 cab that has a Vintage 30 in it.
    I found a used one cheap enough that I can get my money back out of it if I don't like it, but I think it should work well for my needs.
    I'll find out soon enough.

Jakedog and Lef T like this.

16. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Holic

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    Well, actually I like the Tone Block better. It does just enough of what I like. The Bandit is more versatile (has 2 channels, more EQ options, voicings, reverb...) but aside from really digging the Bandit's spring reverb I just wasn't playing it as much as the Tone Block. I dunno. Just my preference.

McGlamRock and Jakedog like this.

17. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2016
    Ontario Canada
    The reverb sounds really nice on the 101

ndcaster and Jakedog like this.

18. Ringo

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    I saw that demo, Tim Lerch is a great player, I imagine he sounds good through anything he uses.
    The reverb on my buddies Problock 200 sounds very good.

Jakedog likes this.

19. Veltek

Veltek Tele-Meister

Sep 17, 2016
    Blues country
    I have a Toneblock 201 cant say I play with more than 50 people present. 50 people max maybe... but I usually dont need to give it more volume than ~2-~20 Depending where I have my gain set and how much crunch i need.

The Master volume has the best functionality between a master and an attenuator. If you crank the master to 200w in a 25 watt speaker. It has a "watch dog circuit" that does not let more than 25 watts go to the speaker. So you dont run the risk of blowing out a speaker. Which makes it functionally more like a Master Volume.

The Toneblock 201 does not do "high gain" if I max out the gain I get some dirty dirty blues, and some moderate classic rock. But I probably couldn't play ZZtop or AC/DC without a pedal. The good news is it LOVES pedals.

Just my 2 cents

Jakedog likes this.

20. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Tele-Afflicted

Sep 23, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Tim's demo has me convinced! Sounds great!

Jakedog likes this.

21. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    I was looking into a block style head, but after watching a butt load of videos, there may be an Aviator combo in my future...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.