Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Looking for pics and specs on original 62 telecaster

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by MSjamison, May 24, 2013.

1. MSjamison

MSjamison TDPRI Member

Feb 23, 2013
    Shreveport, La
    I'm really trying to find some info and pictures of original 62 telecasters. I've tried googling this and haven't come up with much at all. The 50s models are very easy to find pics and specs but cant find much on 62s. Does anybody have any pictures of the originals and the specs?

guitarmikey likes this.

2. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    A 1962 Telecaster in the standard Blond(e) finish w/ 1-ply white pickguard:

[​IMG]

Most other colors (called Custom Colors) had got a 3-ply celluloid guard by then (nitrate). The standard Blond(e) Telecaster never got a nitrate guard, but it got a 3-ply white/black/white guard from 1964/65.

The Custom Telecaster (double binding) got a nitrate guard from the very start in 1959.

1962 Custom Telecaster w/3-ply nitrate guard (they were usually more greenish-looking than this specimen):

[​IMG]

1962 Telecaster in Fiesta Red. The greenish guard is obvious.

[​IMG]

The typical 1962 neck profile was a rather flat C (often less than .80" @ 1st fret and .92" @ 12th fret).

The fretboard was rosewood with a 7.25" radius and small vintage frets. The fretboard changed from a "slab board" to a curved board after july 1962.

Clear coat finish and several custom colors were nitrocellulose, while others were acrylic - among them Olympic White.

Pickup wire were plain enamel and magnet type was Alnico 5. Bridge pickups had an average of 9200 turns of wire and a DC resistance of 7500 Ohms. Neck pickup had an average of 8000 turns of wire and a DC resistance of 7700 Ohms.

Hope this will be of any help.

Last edited: May 25, 2013

3. Telemarkman

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    Here's another 1962 Custom Telecaster with a noticeable nitrate green guard. This model was actually introduced in 1959 though.

[​IMG]

A Surf Green 1962 Custom Telecaster - not the reissue.

[​IMG]

4. MSjamison

MSjamison TDPRI Member

Feb 23, 2013
    Shreveport, La

Just what I was looking for! Thanks so much!

5. Telemarkman

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway

6. dan79

dan79 Tele-Holic

Aug 7, 2004
    Cumbria, England
    Awesome pics, Telemarkman - thanks for posting! :cool:

7. Telemarkman

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    Thanks pal ... Google is your friend.;)

8. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    62 details

Here's a few details on 62 models. Since end of 61, there should be a pat number under the decal, except for custom telecaster and esquire. Date is a stamped on the neck base. I've never seen a mapple fretboard from 62, if there's any, it must be very rare. In 1962, they did much less Telecasters than Stratocasters, they're pretty rare. 62Headstocks.jpg

62tuners.jpg

62neckbases.jpg

62bridge.jpg

guitarmikey likes this.

9. Telemarkman

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    You're a real resource Major Gruber!

And I think you're right that the '62 Teles didn't come with a maple fretboard. It was the 4th year of the rosewood board, and Fender only started to make the maple capped necks on custom orders from around 1964/65 - maybe 1963 ... ? Can you verify this?

10. Major Gruber

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    1st mapple cap

I checked and the earliest mapple cap neck I found is dated Dec 63.
    But I don't know what reliability we can get from my files to answer this question, according to the fact that I found significantly less telecasters from the years 61-65 (only 7 in 1961 for instance).

11. 64Strat

64Strat Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Oct 6, 2003
    I've been told that my '63 Esquire is a rare bird.

12. Major Gruber

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    Lucky you. It'd be even rarer if it'd be mapple capped!

13. pfddi

pfddi TDPRI Member

May 26, 2013
    Oklahoma
    1963 Pictures

Here are a couple of pictures of my 1963 telecaster. As you can see it is the stock yellow with single ply white pickguard. It's not a 62, so I hope these pictures also help. Please excuse the photos as I really suck at pictures.

Attached Files:

14. Telemarkman

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    To me that's the most iconic Telecaster color combo - awesome!

The finish wasn't actually yellow though, but Blond - meaning slightly translucent off-white. It's just the nitrocellulose finish that faded into a more yellowish shade.

This is the same model and year as Steve Croppers most iconic Telecaster.

15. bassame

bassame Tele-Meister

Apr 4, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Major, how many telecasters have you found from 1964?

16. Major Gruber

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    Actually 6, it's the lowest year in number of my file. And the highest is 1966 with 63 instruments (collection of ebay ads).

17. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

FWIW, I have some (poor) pictures of my 62/63 Tele in my gallery. It has a bad refin job, but I have most of the original parts (I replaced pups, added strap lock). The neck says 62, but the serial number indicates 63.

I suppose one day I need to get some better pics...

Cheers,
    Doug

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.