Looking for instrument cable recommendation

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TeleFunk Man, Feb 12, 2019.

1. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

Been using road hog patch chords for years. Bought a Fender 10' vintage stye cable a few weeks, it's not very good. Jack part needs to be tightened every 2nd day. So what cables to recommend? Any recommendation on cables that don't get tangled up so easily?

2. djh22

djh22 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

No specific cable recommendation, but use blue loctite on the jack to keep it from loosening.

drewcp likes this.
  3. TheMindful

TheMindful Tele-Meister

Mogami. Lifetime guarantee replaceable at any place that sells em. I used one 6 foot mogami gold cable basically every day from 2009 until last year. It lasted through all of my Berklee tenure in Boston plus 4 years after. It was the only cable I used for almost that entire duration. Great tone and durable, obviously.

JL_LI likes this.
  4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Live Wires. Not expensive, quality, and, lifetime guarantee, at any Guitar Center you can bring in your shorted Live Wires and trade it for a brand new one

Paul in Colorado and Jimmy Dean like this.
  5. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Meister

Mogami 2524.

6. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

Mogami produces some nice cables, and if I'm in a bind, that will be my choice.
    Otherwise, I find it much cheaper to buy the parts separately and build to my personal specs.
    I really miss Radio Shack.

7. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I bought a couple of 20-footers off of ProCo a decade or so ago, still working, but they tangle about as much as everything else. I impulse-bought a Pig Hog cord off of Massdrop last year & so far it's working fine & it's got the braided jacket so it really doesn't tangle as much. And it's plaid. They still have them at Massdrop for like $18 for the 20-foot version.

8. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

TeleFunk Man likes this.
  9. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity Staff Member Ad Free Member

I use Road Hog too. They have a super-thick cable that just simply too thick to tangle. I love it.

TeleFunk Man and hdvades like this.
  10. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

I've been using ProCo for years also. I have a few that I got in the mid '90s that have never failed yet.

They make them for Rapco Roadhog.

https://www.procosound.com/category/116/instrument-cables

11. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I have had fantastic luck with Spectraflex braided cables. They are very competitively priced, supple, durable, reliable, and low capacitance.

https://spectraflex.com/

12. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Afflicted

Another vote for Mogami Gold. Mogami cables are reliable, tangle free, drape well, and filter out RF better than anything else I’ve used. They’re a little expensive but well worth it.

13. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

To go the other way, I just got the Xvive U2 wireless system the other day. OMG so liberating!! I was so tired of getting tangled, twisted wires that I sometimes step on or roll over with the chair.

Might be worth looking into, especially if you've had bad luck with cables in the past.

blowtorch and Peregrino69 like this.
  14. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Vintage style = the mesh-covered cable? I had the same problem with that; the plugs simply come loose. That's the only cable I've ever had with that problem, and I'm still a bit miffed at Fender for selling that kind of sub-par sh*t with a premium pricetag. Gave mine to our bassist.

I spent about a month researching quality options, and generally Mogami cables with Neutrik silent plugs are touted to be just about the best you can get, unless you are willing to spend serious money. So that's what I ended up purchasing. People will disagree... but the silent plugs are still awesome :)

The ready-made silent Mogami / Neutrik cables are on the expensive side. The ones I've seen also carry a lifetime warranty, which I couldn't care less about.

I know how to solder, so for a price of 2 ready-mades I instead bought 30 meters of Mogami and enough Neutriks to put together 5 silent cables, 6 meters each; with spare plugs. I'm betting that was the last cable purchase I will ever make... the only ones that are actually in use anymore are the ones connecting my pedal board to the amp.

On personal experience I'd recommend considering wireless. I've used XVive U2 for over a year now. Still cheaper than the really "high end" cables, and does the job without latency, interference or tone loss. And it seems to me that it's now catching on - I've seen affordable solutions from Big Brands coming up lately. Chinese stuff of course can be found from Amazon or Aliexpress under US $50. If you have a bit of loose change, they're good enough to see how wirelessness feels like :)

I'm not likely to revert back to wire. I'm way too used to the freedom of not having a cable stuck under my wah and moving with my guitar around the practice room or stage at will.

15. TeleFunk Man

Just checked the pricing on Mogami. Yikes!!

16. TeleFunk Man

Yes, exactly as you say, it's the vintage cloth ones from Fender. Really disappointed that Fender would produce such low quality stuff.

Electric Warrior likes this.
  17. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Meister

Planet Waves, halfway between cheap and Mogami. Durable with Neutrik ends and thick rubber casing that coils but doesn't tangle.

howardlo and TeleFunk Man like this.
  18. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a bunch of used cables that were gifted to me over the years. Some have Switchcraft, others have Neutrik connectors. They've been going strong forever it seems. Some close to 30 years. I'm going to buy some high end cable and make a few custom length ones with switching ends for changing guitars.

Learn to solder. Save cash!

Peregrino69 likes this.
  19. chris m.

SPUDCASTER likes this.
  20. chris m.

Also, if you are interested in low capacitance and are buying cable in bulk, here's a great reference table.
    The higher capacitance, the more highs you lose per foot of length. Note, the primary loss will be from your
    guitar pickups to your pedal board, assuming you have at least one buffered pedal on your board. Once buffered the
    signal will be lower impedance and will pass to your amp with very little loss of highs.

http://www.shootoutguitarcables.com/guitar-cables-explained/capacitance-chart.html

Peregrino69 and TeleFunk Man like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.