Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

looking for help to ID a tele

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cheecharron, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Cheecharron

Cheecharron TDPRI Member

Jan 6, 2015
    Hillsborough, NC
    Hi everyone,

I just purchased a left-handed tele (on eBay) and could use some help properly ID'ing it. According to the serial number, it's a 2012 American Vintage '64, and at first glance, the specs check out. It's aged white/blond with a rosewood fingerboard, three-saddle bridge, and two single coils. However, there are a few anomalous features that I've since noticed and can't find any information on. First, instead of the spaghetti logo that I see on other AV64s, this one has the period-correct logo from 1964. Also, the headstock indicates that this is a "Custom Telecaster," and indeed the body has the characteristic double-binding. In my searching, I can't find another AV64 with these features. I know the lefties sometimes have different features and logos, but, again, I'm coming up with nothing.

I have reached out to Fender's customer service for more information, but I have no idea how responsive they might be to such a request. I imagine they have bigger fish to fry. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on this model. Here's the link to the eBay ad and the corresponding photos:

Many thanks!
    cheech

2. Lonn

Lonn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    Call them at 480 596 7195 and they'll tell you everything you need to know.

3. Cheecharron

Cheecharron TDPRI Member

Jan 6, 2015
    Hillsborough, NC
    Thanks, Lonn. I just called them and was told that the serial number ID's it as a 3-color sunburst AV64. Thus, it's been modified according to the customer rep.

Just for background, I bought this from the warehouse where eBay items go when they are sold by a U.S. seller to an international buyer but, on account of some international regulation, the purchase is voided.

I'm not sure what the burden of proof is to demonstrate to eBay that this is not in fact a Fender Reissue, as stated in the ad, but I suppose I'll find out. Too bad.

4. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Hendersonville, TN
    Seems the neck is from a '62 Custom RI and the body Might Be but as you mentioned refinished.
    Body could be other source though.

Cheecharron likes this.

5. Cheecharron

Cheecharron TDPRI Member

Jan 6, 2015
    Hillsborough, NC
    Thank so for the heads up. I suppose I can take the neck off and find out. However, I have heard on this or some other forum that eBay has viewed that as a modification in the past, so I'll tread lightly until a verdict is reached. Thanks again,

Cheech

Geo likes this.

6. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    It sounds like someone has put an AVRI neck on a bound body - big question is, what body? Could be a AVRI Custom 60s but it could be a Japanese body or Custom Shop. If the latter unless you like it a lot and/or it was very cheap I'd nix the deal if you can.

Either way it's not original and if it was sold to you as a AVRI 64 it's been misrepresented.

That sticker looks odd - but as it's a lefty it may be they used it because they had it and it fit.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017

7. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 17, 2006
    Back at the Beach
    That body looks like my Classic 50's blond oops with binding. I am not the most knowledgeable here but the neck looks wrong. Someone correct me. I have never seen that decal. But what do I know.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017

8. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    I notice they give a Fender SKU which implies it is stock or substantially so - I would be pointing out to them Fender says it's a 3-colour sunburst and therefore it's been significantly altered. They should accept a return with full credit refund.

OTOH - if you like it, that isn't a cheap body or finish and you got a good price. Hardware looks right. Bound ash body is cool. I suspect that's Custom Shop.

9. Cheecharron

Cheecharron TDPRI Member

Jan 6, 2015
    Hillsborough, NC
    I requested a refund on the grounds that the guitar did not meet the description, and the seller, which again is eBay's presumably contracted clearinghouse for items that were purchased through eBay but could not complete shipment, immediately granted a return with postage paid. Thanks for everyone's help,

Cheech

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.