Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Looking for help for an Audio Guild Corp amp

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by 62 Jazzmaster, Feb 28, 2016.

1. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

Here's one for the vintage amp experts, my cousin just wrote me that he picked up an amp project.

Here are the details that he's sent so far:

"It’s an Audio Guild Corp, Van Nuys California (Magnatone). It’s a non working, but mostly there chassis. It’s missing the pots, he told me the transformers were tested, and it just needs the pots to work. Came with the three preamp and two power tubes, one is a 6V6 and the other is a 6K6, so these are wrong. No cabinet or speaker. It needs a reverb tank as well."

A few photos:
    [​IMG]

Any ideas on what it is? That would really help refurbishing this cool old amp.

2. Johnny Cache

Johnny Cache Former Member

Mar 6, 2014
    Oregon
    Here, this might help a little. I only know of two working amps by them and their kind of a "Prize Find". One is here in Klamath Falls the other is in San Jose, Ca.
    The best-known Versatone amplifier, the Pan-O-Flex, used a bi-amplification design with separate power amplifiers for the high and low frequencies, with output through a single 12-inch speaker. Notable users of this amplifier included bassists Jack Casady of Jefferson Airplane, and Carol Kaye of The Wrecking Crew. The series of amplifiers including guitar and bass guitar models was noted for its high fidelity (unusual for the time), attention to detail, point-to-point wiring and unique ported and baffled enclosures, and unusual tube sections (with 7591 power tubes often used in older Ampeg designs). Later efforts under the name Audio Guild included the guitar-only Grand Prix model, which used a special vibrato circuit licensed from Magnatone, producing a pitch-shifting effect. Current users of Audio Guild equipment include producer Jon Brion, known for his soundtrack work on Punch-Drunk Love and other Paul Thomas Anderson films; session player Stephen Patt, a steel guitarist associated with Ryan Adams and Butch Walker, and session player Chris Solberg (Santana, Eddie Money, Chris Isaak, George Lynch) who played bass using Carol Kaye's Versatone bass amp on such hits as Chris Isaak's Wicked Game. The instrumental group The Versatones from San Francisco play surf music, television & movie themes through original Versatone guitar and bass amplifiers.

3. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 14, 2004
    New England
    Be an easy fix if you had a schematic. Anyone seen one?

Otherwise, big chunks of it aren't difficult to reverse engineer. Hopefully there isn't anything weird in the trem circuit like Fender's reverse audio taper pots.

Betcha Gary Croteau at Juke Amps can tell you all about the trem circuit.

4. 62 Jazzmaster

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll pass them on and try to get some clearer gut shots.
    Your replies help a lot with narrowing the search, thanks!

5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Interesting info found in quick search......Don Bonham resigned as lead engineer at Magnatone in 1960 and started Audio Guild. IT is likely that the amp your cousin has should be running 7591's for power tubes. I didn't run across the exact model that you show us....but I did not look long. Because of Bonham's link to Magnatone, one might find some leads to schematics in Magnatone circles??? I found that little bit of history at a Magnatone site.

6. fester

fester TDPRI Member

Aug 27, 2017
    born of fire
    Hey all- I've been lurking around TDPRI for a couple years. Great group, great source of info. I've been a fan and user of AGC amps for a few years, and just tonight finally ran across what appears to be a real schematic, noted in the comments section of a youtube vid. I'll try to post the pic itself, but it's here: http://oi60.tinypic.com/2pqw6fc.jpg

62 Jazzmaster likes this.

7. fester

fester TDPRI Member

Aug 27, 2017
    born of fire
    It looks like it's for this same model the op posted

8. 62 Jazzmaster

Thank you very much for posting the very helpful information!
    I've forwarded it to my Cousin who is working on restoring it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.