Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Looking for giggable modelling amp

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by latin_ink, Apr 13, 2017.

1. latin_ink

latin_ink TDPRI Member

Apr 13, 2017
    Portugal
    Hello. This is my first post here in the forum :)

I play mostly instrumental music with a backing track (jazz, classic rock, surf, ...). Usually clean or with a little bit of overdrive.
    I'm looking for an amp that I can use for gigging on pubs. I want to get there and just show the owner the power cord, he/she points me where to plug the amp and I take care of the rest. No hassle with PA, in-house sound system, etc.. The idea is to take the backing tracks in my tablet, in FLAC format and plug into the same amp I play. That's why I'm looking for a modelling amp with full range speakers (preferably stereo).
    I'm not in US, so some of the brands are inacessible for me :(. I'm thinking about (from cheaper to most expensive): Fender Champion 100, Blackstar ID Core 100 or the Katana 100 212. In fact I don't really need 100w of power, but I couldn't find any option with less power, at least not in stereo, except for the Blackstar ID Core 40, but it does not have a 3 band EQ, just that ISF thing and the price difference is not so big.
    In the shops around here the only amp available are the Blackstar (not the 100w version) and Fender Mustang, so I will probably buy online. Does anyone uses any of those amps and can give an impression about them?

Note: The fender champion 100 price is really good!!

Thank you guys !!

2. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Mustang IV 2x12 150 watts Stereo effects ... stereo effects loop.......stereo Aux IN...XLR outs for running through a board...built in tuner..LCD screen on 4 button foot switch, with tuner option (great feature) ......been used on gigs by full timers for a few years now with great results.

Other choices out there, but this is the one I'm familiar with and feel good about recommending for a situation you describe.

Newest Mustang version due out in a month or two, so either wait for newest or look for a good deal on a used Mustang IV

Good Luck

privatesalt, Archtop Bill and Flaneur like this.

3. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    Mustang III would probably suffice, though at a measly 100 watts :). Stereo effects are still there but only one speaker, so no true stereo unless you use the XLR outs. And it comes with the 2 button switch. But you can add the 4 button for a fairly reasonable price.

Like Jim Dep, it's the one I own and am familiar with.

Flaneur likes this.

4. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    I've heard some good things about the Boss Katana series.

crumjack likes this.

5. brenn

brenn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    I used to like the Vox modeling amps pretty well, but I haven't had one for a long time. They were pretty simple, not too expensive and should be readily available in the UK. Just saw the big 100 watt combo in a pawn shop here for $150. They make a wide variety of sizes - the current line looks like 20 watt, 40, 80 and 120.

6. MDZimmerman

MDZimmerman Tele-Meister

Feb 1, 2017
    Atlanta
    Marshall AVT 20 has served me well in smaller venues or larger when run through PA. IMG_0524.jpg

7. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Wait on the new mustang GT series. I'm confident it will be a considerable improvement and likely take on all comers in and near it's $ range.

8. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Holic

Dec 20, 2012
    Australia
    The Katana 100 212 is all you need. Great gigging amp at any volume.

crumjack likes this.

9. Brian Wright

Brian Wright Tele-Meister

Dec 16, 2015
    Colorado Springs
    I gig a champion 40 right now. I run it through a Joyo American to add some depth and sparkle. Really does a great job for me. Im always on the hunt for a killer tube amp but can't justify it right now. My Tele just sounds good through this setup.

10. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Good Lord get a Katana 100!!

crumjack likes this.

11. crumjack

crumjack TDPRI Member

May 8, 2016
    Indiana
    Katana 112 or 212. Plenty of people gigging with it. Takes pedals if you want that or all in one with the footswitch.

12. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Holic

Jun 22, 2005
    BA
    I have seeing great reviews on Joyo American. This could be a great combo.

Try the VOX ADVT 50 valvetronix with celestion inside.

Brian Wright likes this.

13. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    I like the Marshall AVT series, but it's not a modeling amp; it's a hybrid...tube preamp......solid state power amp. I had the AVT 275, a beast of a combo, which had a great classic Marshall sounding clean channel, similar to the JMP's, IMHO. AVT ( Advanced Valvestate Technology) was replaced by the MG's. If given a choice, I'd take the AVT . I think it's safe to say that it models a Marshall pretty well. :)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    MDZimmerman likes this.

14. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Yeah, I would have gone with the Mustang III, but the OP mentioned speaker(s) Preaching to the choir, but like the Mustang IV, the Mustang III's effects are stereo too, but you have to run into another combo through the effects loop, or into a mixing board ( minor technicality) :)

15. Allan 65

Allan 65 TDPRI Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Liverpool
    Mustang 111 v2 is ideal, not heavy, cleans are good and takes pedals very well.

Jim Dep likes this.

16. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Just a stupid suggestion:

Why run your backing tracks through the same amp that you're playing through?

You're going to sound a lot fuller all by yourself and have a lot more flexibility by using two smaller amps. Hell, for the backing tracks, you don't even need a guitar amp. You need a cheap PA or keyboard amp to plug your pad into.

Yeah, it's carrying two amps, but even the smaller Champion 40 will be loud enough for most venues. But you can't go wrong with the 100 for its price.

I'm just saying I understand that you want portability, quick, easy and GOOD. And I think using a separate amp for your backing tracks, which you can EQ separately from your guitar amp, is the way to go.

And both amps can be "smaller" and very portable.

mfguitar likes this.

17. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    How about a multi fx?

Check out the Boss GT-1 which you can plug anywhere such as PA or board and into your computer too.

18. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    I used a Vox AVT 100 watt and a 50 watt combo too. Really liked them but really a tube guy in the end.

19. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Check out the latest Line 6 Spider amps. They have a Line In for your backing tracks, and have built-in wireless capability. More than 200 amps, cabs, and effects. The versatility of these amps is pretty amazing - check out the features. This could be exactly what you're looking for. There are sound samples here as well:

http://line6.com/amps/#spider-v

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017

20. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Meister

Aug 12, 2008
    Buffalo
    Just my 2 cents but I might be inclined to go with a small flexible PA and use a modeling unit in front. This would be a better solution for the tracks and offer flexibility in the event you ever need to add a vocal or host an open mike. I do think the mustang would be a good choice but consider even a "boom box" for your tracks.

privatesalt and littlebadboy like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.