Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

looking for broken epi or gibo neck

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by jadedsoul, Sep 17, 2017.

1. jadedsoul

jadedsoul Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2013
    TINY ENGLAND
    Hi there guys. just a wondering if anybody has the top half of a neck minus the fingerboard. i need it at least 3 headstocks length. maybe snapped of down the bottom end by some mysterious on stage calamities? cash sat here. epiphone is what id really like but i guess any neck of the epi 24 scale and tilt back headstock will do i can always re shape it to Epiphone and re decal it.. well i hope i posted in the correct place boss ? if not move my limey ass on :) good day yall.

2. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Jan 31, 2012
    Lake Jackson, TX

3. jadedsoul

jadedsoul Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2013
    TINY ENGLAND
    well shucks Nosmo i was hoping to pay only a few bucks.. I got the brand new 2007 epi lp for 20 pounds :) with a break that cant be fixed..well thats what he said.. i had it titebonded back on in a few days, but i used a oak patch. got it perfect ready for clear but the rings in the oak where just bugging me so i shaved off the 2nd patch. It also has fixes within the neck as well.. anyway, i made a new C shaped mahogany patch to give me the missing wood back. but stuck a bloomin chisel right into my hand.super glued it back together as it was leeking pretty bad.so i thought o to heck with it let me scalf join in a new piece of neck. thought one of you kind fellows may do a old man a favor and sell me your busted neck thats been collecting dust for years to me... i can buy a neck for 30 pounds... but heck thats more that the whole les paul cost me. it just dont sit right with me. ill show how it came Nosmo..[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] but the volute has gone and im back as square 2. this was just before i re stained it all wine red again. [​IMG] Now im back to a big block of mahogany and got to get it back down to that oak shape. no volute now that was made with Epoxy and oak dust super fine. but im a limping dog :cry: If you like bursts in cherry and figured wood here she be in the light.. im not a big fan of fancy woods.. id rather have it in a solid color. see the 3rd pic along well when i tested the truss rod all that popped open and fell apart. they must of just wiped in some wood glue and taped it up...it looked ok till i turn'd it and boing.... O me hand is killing.. wimper wimper..[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017

4. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Jan 31, 2012
    Lake Jackson, TX
    I figured it might be something like that. That's a pretty guitar. Hope you find what you need. If you had another neck, you could steam off the fretboards, cut a long scarf joint & put the 2 together.

5. jadedsoul

jadedsoul Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2013
    TINY ENGLAND
    spot on Nosmo..thats the plan...iv ordered the decals this weekend so im ready to go. ;) heck money is tight these days. if it where down to me id just buy a clean new neck of the net but she has her fingers on the mouse aswell :)

6. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    From the looks of your work so far you could just make the new piece to scarf on out of a piece of raw mahogany and shape it from there - no more patches or fillers needed. Steaming off the fretboard to re-use is the key there. Looks like you have the eye and hands for the rest. I agree that guitar is beautiful and worth saving. I think you could work in an opaque finish on the back of the neck to hide the scarf joint without anyone even noticing. You could fade back to trans by the headstock kind of like a burst. Do you know if it has the Epiphone Pro-Bucker pickups? If the backs of the pickups are nickel probably so. If so you well got your money's worth just in those. They are excellent. .

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Rex

LeftFinger likes this.

7. jadedsoul

jadedsoul Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2013
    TINY ENGLAND
    Ok guys the Oak has gone and the mahogany is in its place, now i got it very close. its hard shaping a patched neck like this. The original neck wood is defo not mahogany as its a heck of a lot softer than the patch. if they would have used sepele like i did i doubt it would of broke. well sepele is a type of mahogany aint it ? The guy in the wood store said it was. i wana make a full neck but i dont have the tools or space. She is goin mad at me now for this work in the house. sanding does make a lot of dust. Thank god for my DIY Dust mask. You will need 1 pair of socks. clean out the draw and some masking tape. low tac if possible. Fix like like that , give's me a nasty taste that lasts for ages. ok so i feel iv got a few microns to deep on 1 side in a little spot.. best to filler it? i ordered some mahogany filler today. Also not very happy with the les paul model decal. look where it says MODEL the letters are to far " a p a r t," they shoud be aligned in by a few points. Anyway you guys think its worth sending a complaint email asking for a fix ? O yea ill have to move them by hand. which thought doable goes against the sticker principle.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.