Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Looking for an EQ

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Pumpernickel, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Pumpernickel

Pumpernickel TDPRI Member

I'm looking to pick up an eq pedal, and was about to order a Danelectro Fish n Chips, but came across a good deal on a Boss GE-7 for not much more.

Are the problems with backround hiss as band as the rep? Id be using it in the effects loop sitting on top of the amp, slightly boosting highs and cutting some low mids and lows.

2. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity

get the boss....better guts...durable..

3. TeleSky

TeleSky Tele-Holic

If you can hold off for a while and save up for the MXR 10-band EQ, it will be infinitely worth your wait. That pedal is golden!!! Its insanely quiet, has way more tonal control, and is well worth the higher price. IMHO. But if you can't wait, i'd say go with the boss if its near the price of the dan-o. and look in to mods for it.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Pumpernickel

I can wait untill my next paycheck thursday and fork out the 80 for a used MXR 10 band. How does the 6-band stack up to it?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  6. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

7. TeleSky

TeleSky Tele-Holic

6 band is still great (i'd still take it over the boss or dan-o any day) but it is lacking a master volume slider and a gain slider. Those two control options are what really puts it above and beyond the rest for me. So versatile! too bad there aren't any good youtube clips of it... that i've found at least.

8. Brandon mac

Brandon mac Tele-Holic

my boss GE-7 has served me very well.

9. looney77

looney77 Tele-Afflicted

The boss adds much more noise to your signal. I've had both and I prefer the dano by a mile. I know it's a comon problem with the boss. There are mods to help get rid of some of the noise, but the dano is dead quiet to begin with. The dano really is a great value. I know there are a few people around here with the same opinion.

10. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

The Dano really works well with single coil teles. There is something about a tele single coil and the Dano that mates up really nice. It works fine with humbuckers, mini-humbuckers , etc as well, but I usually find myself cutting signal with the EQ, whereas with a tele I'm increasing certain frequencies. I much prefer the Dano to the Boss as well. I am very curious about the MXR line.

11. Pumpernickel

Alright, i think I'm going to go ahead and order the Dano, the switch/plastic construction are kind of moot for me since itll just sit on my amp, thanks for the input everyone!

12. JuSteve

JuSteve Former Member

Does the Dano allow a bit of boost to input? I see it has a "level" slider.

I was looking mainly for a pre-amp (slight/clean boost) but if the the Dano works well with Tele's, I may go that route.

13. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

That's odd. I did some checking on the web, as you do. The Arion MEQ-1 has the same ranges and +/-15dB sliders as the Dano Fish'n'Chips but with the level at the other end.

Now the Arion does exactly what you are asking for but it goes for $55 new, albeit in a far more robust case than the Dano soap-dish, but has disappeared from the UK market. It fleabays s/h with a buy-now of £250, go figure (yet can be had for as little as £17 s/h if you're lucky).

14. tele salivas

yeah, it can give you clean boost capabilities, as well as a real nice OD. It can get pretty hairy! Very versatile.

15. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

The little Dano EQ is the best I've ever found.

16. fatcat

fatcat Tele-Afflicted

+100 for MXR 10band

have it, love it, it's the only pedal you need (almost)!

cons: 18volt power supply is required. no batteries; expensive.

pro's: clean boost those tubes into natural overdrive; open up a world of
    dynamic response and articulation of tone across all frequencies...for
    any tube amp...

I wanted the 6band, but couldn't find one local...gotten to where I don't like to order from the net. little pricey, but the boost feature turned out to be worth it.:twisted:

17. JuSteve

JuSteve Former Member

Big Brown dumped the Dano on my step this morning. With minimal fussing, it does exactly what I wanted.

Thanks Guys. No noise, and mates well with my Tele's.

18. tele salivas

Awesome JuSteve!. The plastic is pretty hard. It won't crack up on ya.

19. Guitarmang6730

Guitarmang6730 Tele-Meister

I heard that the maxon GE-601 is good it's supposed to be an exact copy of the one they made for ibanez back in the early 80's

20. Boyd

Boyd Tele-Afflicted

Just got an MXR M-108 myself and thought I would update this old thread. http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/m108-10-band-graphic-eq

[​IMG]

It's great! I have not been so happy recently with the wide range humbuckers on my 72 thinline RI but didn't want to spend the time/money swapping them without knowing what to expect. So instead, I got the MXR and can now shape the tone into something I like without changing pickups.

It is indeed very clean IF you set it up properly. The trick is to first raise the gain setting as high as you can without clipping (the LED will flash if it clips). I am able to use my thinline with the gain at +12db with no problems. Now set the volume slider as low as possible while still providing a usable level to your amp; I have mine set at -12db. Doing this will maximize the signal to noise ratio.

Of course, it isn't a cure-all and it can't add anything to the sound that wasn't already there. If you're wondering what it's capable of, you should be able to simulate the effect using your DAW software. I use Logic Pro 9, but I'm sure the other DAW packages also have EQ plug-ins. In Logic you can use the AU 10 band equalizer (just remember not to set anything higher or lower than 12 db) and it will give you a very good idea of what the MXR M108 can do.

Anyway, really happy with this box so far. It works as expected and appears to be really solid and well-made.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.