Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Looking For A New Tube Amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Vanzant, Nov 26, 2017.

1. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

I know what you mean. If you have a way of trying it first I’m just really recommending it because it is really great sounding amp that is very loud compared to other amps I tried

2. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    Voicing and speakers are more important than power, IMO. I can generally stand to be out in front of a Super Reverb with it on 9, as long as I'm not running a Tele with the Bright switch on. I've got a homemade 15W Vox type head that'll chase you out of the room with a single Greenback. Mid scoop sounds great solo, but if you want to be heard in a band you gotta have some mids.

Hard to beat the Peavey Classic 30 for a stage amp as far as bang/buck. The HR Deluxe or Deville, if gone over by a tech to check out the weak points, can be a tank of an amp too.

DougM likes this.

3. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

I'd go with ... A or B.

Or a Bandit.

4. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Jul 5, 2010
    West Michigan
    There is no answer to your question.

I use the '54 Deluxe shown to the left. Power trio with a singer, mostly blues and a little rockin' stuff. Rarely mic it, the bass player uses a 350 watt Ampeg and it works just fine. Mostly in venues that hold 100-200.

Point being, how much is enough is a tough question to answer. Every situation and band is different. Always enjoy these questions though.

brbadg and Piggy Stu like this.

5. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Agreed

6. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

Apr 26, 2009
    Portland, OR
    I picked up a used Jet City, (Chinese Soldano), "JCA20HV", and the only gripe that is standard with these amps is that they are too loud! The "HV" is the lower gain version...picked it up used for $200.
    Otherwise would recommend the Peavey "Bandit" or "Classic 30" for bang for the buck.
    Happy X-Mas Amp hunting!

brbadg and tomas83 like this.

7. archetype

archetype More tone than talent Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    If loud and clean is needed (like the country gig in a packed room) a Deluxe Reverb may not meet requirements. I’d recommend twice that wattage to ensure your playing can be distinct in the mix.

Jakedog likes this.

8. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2015
    Caraquet N.-B. Canada
    Before beiing into vintage amps, I gigged many years with a Fender 212 Deville and then with a '91 Basseman '59 RI with a tank reverb in front. Altought we mostly play blues and jazz (and sometimes some Hendrix and rock stuff), I can't see one of these two amps not beiing loud enough in any band situations.

9. Stratandtele

Stratandtele Tele-Meister

Mar 31, 2016
    New Jersey
    My own experiences with gigging fender hot rod series amps has led me to believe that they are great sounding, yet not very sturdy amps. I've replaced numerous pots and more than one input jack on my blues junior and hr deluxe. The pots and input jacks are soldered directly to the pcb, and are prone to failure. I've moved on to a hand wired fender tweed deluxe 5e3 clone (15 watts) or the fender '68 custom vibrolux reverb silver face reissue (35 watts) for larger/outdoor gigs. They have both held up to the abuse of dragging them around to gigs, and remain reliable. The '68 CVR has way more clean headroom. I use a catlinbread topanga for reverb. I don't like the reverb on the CVR, the deluxe obviously is not equipped with it. It's a great sounding pedal that would go well with a bassman, should you go that route. Happy amp shopping!! Let us know what you choose.

10. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    I think I am going to go for the Bassman. It's a toss up between the 68 Twin Custom Reissue and The Bassman, but the Bassman is lighter and should be plenty of wattage...The only bummer is it doesn't have the reverb unit...

11. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    yeah, I'm thinking the Bassman might be the one.

12. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    That's what led me to the Bassman. The amp I played last weekend was 22 watts and just not quite loud enough...45 watts in the Bassman should be enough.

13. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Used Deville. It will beat the band into submission to the point you can use a 6 watter eventually. Or that's what happened for me. Mission accomplished.

Vanzant and Mayas caster like this.

14. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2015
    Caraquet N.-B. Canada
    I don't think that you will be dessapointed with the Bassman. I never was...

15. budglo

budglo TDPRI Member

Feb 15, 2015
    NE Ohio
    I don’t think you will be disappointed either. The amp has a lot of mids ,so you should be able to cut thru the mix well enough too. If memory serves me right using a solid state rectifier instead of a tube will give you a touch more headroom, but the crunch from this amp is glorious.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017

16. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    Alright, I just got the Bassman, and it sounds exactly like what I wanted. One question though...The Standby switch seems like a softer click over than the main power switch, which is a strong click (they both have rubber grommets on them). Is this normal, or is the standby switch faulty?

t guitar floyd likes this.

17. 0911smokey

0911smokey TDPRI Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Rock Hill, SC
    I use a Princeton Reverb and mic it. Plenty of volume that way.

18. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    You play country, like fender, look a Traynors' 30.

19. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    Sounds like a road trip with you favorite guitar (or2) to as many music shops as you can to find the perfect amp. Perfect Amp not sure if there is such a thing a couple months ago nothing could touch my 5E3 with the edge mod two weeks ago my Fargen was beyond perfect yesterday my 64 Bandmaster.....why don't I play it more? Honestly I'd probably look for something used or if it was in the budget have a custom Amp built. So many Amps to try and perfect amps are few Good Luck.

20. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Holic

Mar 11, 2008
    Timonium,Maryland
    This goes against everything I've heard about a DR.It's supposed to be the ultimate country amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.