Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Looking for a new tele - American Pro vs Road Worn ?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Riversider, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    If you have never played a TRO or TMO Fat neck you should...only thing Fender offers like it is a Custom shop...ask Ron Kirn.

2. joshthepilot

joshthepilot TDPRI Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Ocean City, Md.
    Just managed to coax my Wife into snapping a few pics of mine. Of course this favor was preceded by the usual...."You want me to do what???" and a little bit of "I wish you were that interested in me". Of course she was joking. Needless to say. I hope you enjoy the pics of my American Professional.

20171103_154054.jpg 20171103_154332.jpg 20171103_154442.jpg 20171103_154147.jpg

3. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

Feb 4, 2016
    sw US
    Cool! Sounds just like a Tele. They were playing in Bb . . . one of the big dollar keys! Was that you playing the guitar? Very nice! (I take back all the mean things I said about you). :)

joshthepilot likes this.

4. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    Yes its me...lol...and thanks

5. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

Feb 4, 2016
    sw US
    Cool! I know about playing one's own build. Have built about a dozen or so back when I worked in a shop with all the tools. My current main Strat is '94 RI '54 neck, pups and hardware on a mahogany body I built from scratch back in '98.

Wish I had the equipment to photograph, record and post.

6. MMARSH

MMARSH Tele-Meister

Jun 21, 2015
    CA
    Here's my Am Pro:

[​IMG]

Indy-Tele likes this.

7. WYfish

WYfish Tele-Meister

Dec 18, 2008
    Jackson, WY
    Bought a 50s RW a month or two back. Far exceeded my expectations. Love the new ones that aren't as reliced. The neck is so comfortable and it has all the classic tele mojo that i've always wanted.

Chicago Matt and rich815 like this.

8. Riversider

Riversider Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2013
    Bristol UK
    Thanks for all the input and pictures, some great looking teles.
    I'm going to try and play an American Pro alongside the Special Edition Road Worn with the 9.5 radius if I can find somewhere that has them both in. I've never owned a 7.25 radius but whenever I've played them in shops I find the feel is strange. Maybe I'd get used to it if I bought a 50s Road Worn, maybe I wouldn't. I was raised on 12s and in recent years have got used to 9.5 radius boards, but big blues bends on a 7.25 might be less comfortable for me.

9. Riversider

Riversider Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2013
    Bristol UK
    Got a chance to lay my hands on a couple of American Pro teles today, very briefly. The rosewood board Oly White sounded great acoustically, very loud and chimey, but the neck on the butterscotch one they had was definitely a bit thicker, especially towards the nut, felt better to me despite not ringing out as nicely as the white one. Time was really limited so I didn't get chance to plug them in, but I'm going to go back and take another look as soon as I can, the maple board didn't feel too sticky at all, but it really felt it needed a set of tens on it.....lovely looker, be interesting to see how they sound plugged in, ash vs alder etc. Excited by how nice they felt, just wish I'd had more time.....the new bridge design feels good, too.

10. Riversider

Riversider Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2013
    Bristol UK
    Something else just got onto my radar - the AV52 or AV64 teles are only about £150 more than the American Pros. I'd have to try one, of course, check the vintage radius and frets out, but this pricing (UK) seems better than you get in the US.
    In terms of value, maybe the AV models are better here than in the States and therefore I owe it to myself to try one? Gotta find one first though, nothing in stock locally. Looks like I have a whole lot of new threads to catch up on......

11. Tullecaster

Tullecaster TDPRI Member

Oct 31, 2017
    Maryland
    Try an early (2005 or earlier) Highway One. Mine takes top spot over several far more expensive models. Great American Standard c shape neck with satin finish that is not sticky at all. Thin skin satin nitro finish. The pups in the early runs before 2005 are great. They made them hotter in the later runs. I really do think that would answer several of the issues that you are looking to address and the price should be reasonable.

rich815 likes this.

12. Riversider

Riversider Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2013
    Bristol UK
    Thanks, will keep my eyes open for one of those. In the meantime I've found that the AV52 is actually less money than the American Pro, in a few shops. It's a few hours drive to get to one, but I think I ought to make the effort and check it out, the nitro finish and old school vibe of the 52 is pretty engaging, if I can get used to the 7.25 radius. To pick it up cheaper than the AmPro means I at least need to try it, it's not much more to buy than a Road Worn, in fact. Looks like the 52 isn't in Fender's current lineup (?), at least when I access the Fender UK website, which seems strange as I thought it was the most popular in the AV line. Might explain the pricing I'm seeing as both the 58 and 64 are both more money.

13. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 17, 2006
    Prairie Hill, Texas
    Or, get the Baja and lightly sand the neck until it fits. Stickyness of the fretboard, really? Eat your ice cream...

14. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    I say build one to specs for a lot less.

15. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Meister

Mar 6, 2016
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I've had all the ones you mentioned and the new Am Pro. All have their positives. I ended up with a new AV52. My second choice would be the 50's Road Worn Tele (or the Am Pro). The 7.25 radius doesn't bother me at all. The best bang for the buck is the Am Special...I miss mine sort of. Awesome pickups, vintage bridge etc, MIA. The modern C profile wasn't particularly my cup of tea though. Good luck.

16. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Holic

Oct 14, 2012
    Newfoundland
    I've played 2 Road Worns in the last few months. Wonderful necks. Worn to perfection. Love the nitro. Just so comfortable. Like finding your old jean jacket in the back of the cupboard and discovering that it still fits. I'd buy one, but I'm a bucker in the neck kind of guy. I suspect that they'll be future classics.

Chicago Matt and rich815 like this.

17. Riversider

Riversider Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2013
    Bristol UK
    This looks nice and has the bucker. Think it's Europe only though. 9.5 radius. https://guitarvillage.co.uk/product...-road-worn-hot-rod-telecaster-3-tone-sunburst

darkwaters likes this.

18. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Holic

Oct 14, 2012
    Newfoundland
    Thanks. Very nice. And with a Duncan '59 in the neck ! Next time I'm across the pond, I'll have to keep an eye out for one. Then again, I could purchase the regular one here and retrofit a bucker. It would cost about the same and I'd avoid duties. Hmmmmmmm.

19. FirTrader

FirTrader Tele-Meister

Jan 8, 2017
    Alberta Canada
    From what I have seen and experienced, the quality of wood and dressing on the American Pro necks is way higher than the mexican stuff, night and day to my hands. Having recently bought a fairly cheap strat, I was really disappointed in the lower end Fenders at a couple shops. Played an American Special with a knot in the neck. A knot. Bizarre stuff. So if I was buying a Fender branded tele, I'd reach as far into the American built stuff as my budget would allow.

Riversider and hrstrat57 like this.

20. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Holic

Aug 26, 2010
    Houston
    I prefer the vintage radius.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.