Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Looking for a Leslie Rotary Pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Vanzant, Apr 13, 2018.

1. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

And they are inexpensive!

2. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

Mar 11, 2008
    Timonium,Maryland
    You can get a used Strymon Lex from $180. I like that one the best.
    Vibes are really a different thing.Also an MXR Phase 100 does a nice leslie thing sometimes.

3. stevehollx

stevehollx TDPRI Member

Feb 17, 2015
    durham nc
    Digitech Ventura vibe has a rotary setting that is really good. Button press and hold simulates a speed change of motor.

Seemed the best sounding standard size rotary pedal, since a lot of the ones that sound better are larger than a standard form factor pedal.

Bonus is it has a univibe setting.

ndeli55 likes this.

4. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

Oct 26, 2007
    Louisville, Ky
    I like the EHX Lester K and the Keeley Darkside.

5. jason.clark

jason.clark Tele-Meister

Aug 10, 2015
    Lancaster, CA
    H9 does a really good Leslie. Check out Josh Smith. He uses an H9 for the Leslie thing and it sounds really good!

TeleTex82 likes this.

6. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma

I've been really interested in this pedal. I'm torn between a rotary vibe or a tremolo, specifically the tc electronic Pipeline. I'm fully aware a leslie is really a tremolo effect, and not Vibrato, although, others don't seem to be. The doppler effect, changes that to some extent, so i guess it's both. Back to the OP's question, I'd probably go with a Digitech Ventura Vibe.

7. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Jun 27, 2005
    Montclair, NJ
    I have the original Ventilator. Have not heard better. It's a keeper.

8. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Poster Extraordinaire

At the cheapest end is the Behringer RM600 - which I understand is a clone of the Line 6 pedal. I bought one used, mint in box for £30 and it sounds great! It gives all the 'guitar-friendly tones you'd need. I can get all George Harrison's 'Abbey Road' sounds with ease and that's good enough for me. I find this type of effect sounds best when the levels are set low and imho. 'colours' a note better than a chorus pedal.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018

9. Jason S

Jason S Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    S.F. Bay Area
    I have a Mini-Vent on my board. It works well.

10. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Vent II certainly does the trick. Buy it used, and if you don't like it, sell and get your cash back. That's what I did, and it didn't cost a penny to try (actually made $10). I sold it not because I didn't like it. In fact it was the ONLY rotary pedal I've tried that sounded GOOD to me. I sold it because for me, it's a very niche sound, one that I really need only once every few months. The Vent cured my GAS, and made me realize I didn't really need one.

11. red57strat

red57strat Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Oct 4, 2003
    Massachusetts
    I've had a Leslie 145 cab, an H&K Rotosphere and have had a Tech 21 Rotochoir for the past several years. I like the Rotochoir a lot. It sounds good and it's smaller, quieter and more versatile than the Rotosphere. It's a lot more portable than the Leslie, too!

12. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Try a vibrato pedal in conjunction with your amp's vibrato.

You'll be amazed.

13. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    Decided to try the Strymon Lex. I got it from Sweetwater, so If it's something that doesn't do it for me I can always send it back. Looks like it gets good reviews though. I had a gift card so I got it to my door for $250. We'll see...

El Tele Lobo likes this.

14. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm not tempted but it looks amazing in demos. I like the ability to control acceleration/deceleration between slow/fast/stop. You can actually hear the horns coming to a stop!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    moosie likes this.

15. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Holic

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX

16. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2007
    Cambridge, England
    Digitech EX-7 Expression Factory. The Leslie fuction on that sounds killer and has a natural overdrive that really does a great job of emultaing that crunchy rotary sound of the late 60s and early 70s. Of course it is an expression pedal so you can go from slow to fast and back again just with foot control - it speeds up and slows down gradually, just like the real thing.

I have a rotary effect on my Boss GT-100 and that doesn't sound anywhere near as good as my Digitech.

As a bonus, the other effects are brilliant as well, like the Univibe and volume swell.

It needs its own power supply, which comes with it.

I don't know if they still make these but I got mine used for not much money on ebay.

17. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2018
    phoenix
    I'm a pedal nut... I've tried a lot of differing leslie pedals. Many that sound good. The one I am goo-goo-ga-ga for is the h&k rotosphere. doesn't even sound like guitar anymore - similar to york peppermint patty - I feel just like paul shaffer in the 80's on late night playing a b3 through a leslie. On the down side it's expensive and huge. Lotta real estate for one pedal but imo it's worth it if you like that gritty type of leslie.

18. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Meister

May 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Once you have had a real Leslie and have had time to fool around with the Neo Vent or Mini Vent, game over. I'd probably trade my mini vent for the regular Vent. But I don't hear any unit competing with that tone and replication of that sexy, nasty Doppler effect.

moosie likes this.

19. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    I bought the Boss RT20 a while back and didn't like it at all. It was fuzzy and indistinct in a band mix. Fine alone at home. A lot of "blaaat" too that I couldn't tune out.

20. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    The Vent is the only one I've owned that doesn't sorta hide imperfections in the grit / overdrive sound. It blows away Strymon Lex, Boss RT20, the Pigtronix thing, about 6 others I can't recall now. I had high hopes each time, but always 'meh'. Until the Vent. Friggin awesome pedal. Now I want to buy it again, thanks TDPRI. o_O:lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.