Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Looking for a Leslie Rotary Pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Vanzant, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    Hey folks, I am in the market for a Leslie/Rotary Pedal. I have looked at some of the reviews online for the some of the usual suspects, but thought I would see what everyone here recommends

I currently have a Chorus pedal and a Tremolo pedal, but thought I would try something Leslie specific.

I have also considered the Keeley Dark Side or Monterey, but they seem like stand alone pedals, but seem cool nonetheless....

Anyhow, I am just suffering from GAS, and looking for a new pedal to play with...what would you choose and why?

Ohh YEah, The Ventilator II just seems too expensive...but maybe I can be convinced...not sure.

Thanks in advance!

2. Gin Mill Cowboy

Gin Mill Cowboy TDPRI Member

Apr 5, 2014
    New Jersey
    Bearfoot Mintgreen mini vibe is nice.

3. schmee

schmee Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    On the cheap, the Donner Alchemy has a good leslie/rotary effect. I bought one a couple years back on a whim and lo and behold, it's not leaving the board. Trem, Vibe, Chorus, Rotary, Flanger, Phasor and some other things. $39. Not sure if they sell it any more, but there is one that looks identical, NUX, probably just changed the name and maybe the company

4. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    The Ventilator II is excellent, but you're right--pricey.

Please read the next statement with a grain of salt...

For the money, the Boss RT20 Rotary Ensemble is a really good pedal.

There a better pedals out there, but for the money, it's very good. People criticize it because it's digital, or because it's Boss (admittedly, not my favorite brand, either), but I tried close to a dozen different devices, and for the money, there wasn't anything better on the market at the time.

It's good enough that I haven't looked for a better device since I bought it about ten years ago.

Vanzant and BigDaddyLH like this.

5. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    My Donner chorus gets kinda close, so I'd +1 something in the uni-vibe regime from Donner. It'll be under $40 so can it be a bad place to start? (no, it can't)

6. Bulldoggio

Bulldoggio TDPRI Member

Nov 5, 2015
    Mid South
    The ones I've tried are the Strymon Lex, which is excellent, and the Leslie , which I like even better.

brbadg and Fiesta Red like this.

7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

The Ventilator sounds great on youtube demos, but $$$

Fiesta Red likes this.

8. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    The ones that I have been looking at and keep coming back to the demos are:

Stryman Lex
    Pigtronix Rototron
    Neo Vent II (but the price is brutal)
    EH Lester G
    Leslie and Leslie G

I like the idea of being able to use an expression pedal with it...

Thanks for the recommendations though! Keep em coming!

9. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    Yeah it does, but $450!!

10. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    All good, but pricey.

I guess it depends on your budget and the number of songs you'd be using the effect on...

Vanzant likes this.

11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I've got cheaper amps than that!

Vanzant likes this.

12. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2017
    italy
    You may consider the zoom ms 70 cdr, i know it's a multieffect but the price is excellent and you can have many other effects, it's got leslie and also a very nice vibrato that gives you a leslie effect, i use more the vibrato than the leslie to get the leslie sound actually.

Of course there are better ones, but to remain under 100 euro you can also check the nux mode core, the hotone roto, line 6 rotary machine, nux roctary, also a classic used by Landau and Henderson, arion sch-z.

13. irie

irie Tele-Holic

Jul 15, 2014
    Orange County, CA
    The ventilator is the best I have heard, the mini ventilator is another great option for a bit less. They are built really well just look for a used one.

14. kafka

kafka Tele-Holic

Oct 18, 2013
    Maryland
    I went with the Strymon Lex. I find it to be really enjoyable to play, especially with an expression pedal on the rotor speed, which I think is the key on any rotor. I haven't tried any others, and I don't really feel the need to.

FenderLover likes this.

15. Tezuka27

Tezuka27 Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2011
    Eastern Iowa
    I ended up going with the Boss RT 20 and love the thing. It more than takes care of all me Leslie needs.

Currently retails at around $220 new and $175-$190 used. None of the reviews show it, but when you take the time to dial things in, you can get some nice subtle leslie effects.

jb

16. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

NuX Roctary

Iago likes this.

17. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    I have a first-gen Neo Vent. It does nail the Leslie sound, right down to that "grind" you get when there's a bit of drive on the low speed setting, and most Leslie sims don't get that tone quite right to my ear.
    The only other pedal I've heard that gets it is the EHX Lester, specifically the Lester K. It's only $150 and would be the one I'd get if my Vent was stolen and save $300. The G and K are meant for guitar and keyboard, but you can use them either-or. I like the K because of the speaker sim.

teleman1 likes this.

18. RCinMempho

RCinMempho Tele-Afflicted

Jul 8, 2003
    Maryville, TN
    I have an old Line 6 tone core roto-machine that is just fine. You can set low and fast speeds and the ramp rate and a lite foot touch triggers the ramping. It has a gain control to give you some grit if you like.

If you want to do the organ thing, this will get you there.

19. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    +1

20. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.