Looking for a killer Octavia Fuzz

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by WilburBufferson, May 9, 2019.

1. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

What do you guys and gals like that sounds killer and plays nice with your other pedals? I was looking into the MXR La Machine, but I heard mixed things about it.

2. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Holic

I own the Way Huge Purple Platypus that was recently released which is their Red Llama with an up-octave filter. I don't use it very often but it's a nice pedal.

3. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

This is one of the only fuzz pedals I ever got along with. Simple and the octave becomes more apparent as the fuzz increases. I liked a lot of these Guyatone Micros. They were actually ahead of their time with the mini pedal explosion.
    DV016_Jpg_Large_155001_V.jpg

fenderchamp likes this.
  4. Red Bread

Red Bread Tele-Meister

This one

Attached Files:

5. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I like my La Machine, but it’s not Hendrixy, if that’s what you’re going for. With the octave off, it’s kind of Big Muff-ish. With the octave on, it’s just nasty. In a good way.

6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

7. Gunerius

Gunerius Tele-Holic

For octave up fuzz tones the up voice on the Earthquaker Devices Bit Commander is exceptional! And the other voices are kool as well. But the up voice ia phenomenal!

8. Jerry_Mountains

Jerry_Mountains TDPRI Member

I used to have a Danelectro French Toast Fuzz, I used in the lowish side of gain but with the octave up activated and it was instant Band Of Gyspys. It paired well with other fuzzes and ODs.

Pros: cheap as chips
    Cons: made totally of plastic

It worth the shot if you are not a heavy stomper

9. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

Hey, I just re-watched this vid from Andertons. Anyone have experience with the EHX Octavix?

10. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

I tried out several Octave fuzz pedals: EHX Octavix, Fulltone Octafuzz, Greer Super Hornet, and probably another I can’t remember. Here is my take on them.

Octavix: The demos sounded good but in person, it seemed to lack warmth and dynamics - not sure, just didn’t care for it. To be fair, I feel this way about a lot of the newer EHX stuff - these pedals just never really do it for me.

Octafuzz - the sound of Gary clark Jr.- you can really hear it in his rendition of the Beatles “Come Together.” I like this pedal a lot and ended up with it. I use it with the octave off most of the time as that is just a great fuzz sound, but the Octave side is just as cool sounding.

Greer Super Hornet: Very cool pedal and a great sound - was beyond my budget at the time I tried it but I expect to eventually get one. His stuff is good. The octave effect is very “present” when it is on, perhaps moreso than the Octafuzz, but that is not necessarily a downside - just depends on what you want.

Happy Hunting!!!

11. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Apparently, I believe, the French Toast was based on my favorite fuzz pedal ever, the Foxx Tone Machine. I think the MXR unit is also based on it, just going by the name. The Foxx Tone Machine is a beast, nice and nasty, in a good way.

bluesholyman likes this.
  12. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

Earthquaker Devices Fuzz Miester General. Totally out there octave up that tracks fairly well. Walks the fine line between usable and total chaos... in a good way!

13. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

I have one and it's awesome. Does seem to add A LOT of noise to my signal chain, so I have it and my Wampler Sovereign (the two sound great together) in the loop of my Noise Suppressor, and the rest of my effects go thru the effects loop on the amp.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  14. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

green ringer (or clone*) into your non-octave fuzz of choice.

*i built one of fuzzdog's ringer clones and it sounds great into everything!

artdecade and kevsonic like this.
  15. kevsonic

kevsonic Tele-Meister

16. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Holic

17. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

I have owned one fuzz my whole life so I know nothing about them. In fact I only owned it because ODs were just starting to form in the early, cooling universe. I think the octave fuzzes sound cool. This popped up on my EweToob list as the video was just released. I think it sounds pretty good.

18. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Never liked fuzz. Never had a straight fuzz pedal. Had a Catalinbread Ottava Magus octave fuzz (three knob). Rarely used it, but loved the sound. To the point that I missed the hell out of it, just found another. IMO, a very fine pedal.

19. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Ringer > Octavia
    Cheaper, too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.