Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Looking at the Eminence Maverick FDM

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by TelecasterTweet, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Yes, ime, anytime you decrease air movement the sonics change. Also, ime, the ear adjusts to changes and hears differently at different volumes. This really noticeable when changing amps or even drastically changing settings on an amp. At first the ear is 'shocked' by the difference. Then, as the playing goes on, the ear adjusts and the new amp/new settings are not as 'shocking'.
    I wonder what the db levels are at a symphony concert during a particularly bombastic passage of say.....

And then I found this....

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2003/aug/23/arts.artsnews

I need a db meter. I wonder just how loud things are when I am happy with an amp's sound??

2. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    I see what you mean

I can definitely attest that the Reignmaker is an EXCELLENT british sounding speaker; a good average tone of the all the best Celestions. You want a Greenback? Sensitivity 95dbs? match it with your FDM knob (I set it at middle = 95) result is a dead on Greanback. Etc...see what I mean?

It's a great underrated achievement; & the possibilities - if you combine both models in a 212 cab - are ENDLESS

Piotr likes this.

3. TexMax

TexMax Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2010
    Brooklyn
    + 1
    I have a Maverick in a Bandmaster Reverb 1x12 and the speaker works as advertised and has a good, solid, middle-of-the-road Fender-y tone. I highly recommend.

I always love a better mouse trap and Eminence did a terrific job on the FDM speakers and it's a shame they haven't gotten more recognition and traction.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017

4. Pup Tentacle

Pup Tentacle Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2011
    Cape Coral Fl
    I pulled the weber 12F150 out of my Deluxe Reverb clone, put in a Maverick and have been gigging it for the last 6 months. I think it sounds fairly close to the F150. The bonus is I can get the amp into a good spot no matter what the room. We play at a resort hotel normally outside but if the weather is bad we play inside the bar at a fine dining restaurant. It does lose some highs if you turn it to max attenuation. Some of the places we're playing now are a little big for the Deluxe so I bought a Reignmaker and built a 2x12 cab. The reignmaker isn't quite broken in yet so i've been turning it down and letting the maverick do most of the work. I'm now using a 5F6 Bassman clone with that bottom and it sounds real good. Using the Bassman with a 2x12 and Weber speakers I had to turn the amp very low for some places to the point it didn't sound good. Now I adjust the speakers and am happy with it.

BlueCajun and homesick345 like this.

5. homesick345

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    THat's the whole idea , indeed

This Emi breakthrough should be way more known by guitarists. It's sensible solution to an age-old problem, without any down side or compromise

Piotr likes this.

6. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Sep 24, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    Thanks for posting this. I've been wondering how the Maverick compared to other Jensen-like speakers. At least this gives me a baseline. I might snag one.

7. Gringo13

Gringo13 Tele-Holic

Nov 6, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Good thread. I wonder how a Maverick and Reignmaker would sound paired together in a Twin? (asking for a friend)

8. ajm763

ajm763 TDPRI Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Southwest Ohio
    Yes, specifically human physiology. I read about the "loss of highs" in almost every attenuator thread. If one looks at the attenuated waveforms in a DAW or with an oscilloscope you'll see all frequencies are reduced equally through the attenuator (people have published images of this on web). The problem is with our ears which are less sensitive to high frequencies. As the power is (evenly) reduced we hear less of the highs.

The original research on this was done by Fletcher and Munson and later updated by Robinson and Dadson. Here is one of many articles on the topic:

https://ledgernote.com/columns/mixing-mastering/fletcher-munson-curve/

I too am looking closely at the Eminence Maverick for my Princeton Reverb. Unfortunately mine has one with glued-in baffles (which I do not want to cut) so I'll likely have to buy a replacement cabinet along with the speaker. Sure wish it was available in a 10" form factor.

TNcaveman likes this.

9. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Well I guess you'll havta work out the loss of highs via defeating human nature, then.
    Maybe Felcher and Munster can hep.

10. homesick345

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    quick note: at 9dbs attenuation; the change in tone & hi-end is not THAT drastic in the FDM Emis....

Nothing that a notch of the treble/presence knobs doesn't correct immediately

BobbyZ and Wally like this.

11. Rick-kcmo

Rick-kcmo TDPRI Member

I agree. It's not an attenuator, it's a speaker with variable sensitivity, often confused with efficiency. I have a Maverick and it's quite good sounding in its own right in a 72 Deluxe Reverb. OK, some perspective. You can decrease the sensitivity by 9db. 3db is like halving your amp power. If you want to increase your output 3db you have to double the power. Halve your power and you decrease by 3db. By the same token if the sensitivity, how loud it is with one watt, is increased by 3db you can get the same output with half the power. Lowering it by 3db requires twice the power for the same output.

So, if you decrease speaker sensitivity by 3db it's like you have half the power as far as your output. Another 3db, another half and so on. So, to keep the math easy, like it's hard, if you have a 100W amp, 3db less sensitivity will make it sound like 50W, another 3db like 25W and another 3db (a total of 9) it's like 12.5W. Or if it's my Deluxe Reverb, 11, 5.5, and 2.75.

So, why couldn't the guys at Eminence, who totally understand this, have figured out how to explain it? It works well, by the way. Some struggle with the idea that, to get 3 db more output you have to double power, no matter the output. So 1W to 2W is 3db. 200W to 400W is 3db. Starts to get tough in the hi-fi world where speakers are typically 87db sensitivity instead of 100. It's why a 15W amp is so loud.

TNcaveman likes this.

12. TNcaveman

TNcaveman TDPRI Member

Dec 24, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I have a Maverick in my Mesa Boogie F50. It sounds awesome with no attenuation, sounds better than the original Celestion. Turn the attenuation all the way down and I can actually turn the volume up from 1 to 4. Amp sounds so much better. This is an awesome product.

BTW, they make the speaker less efficient by moving the voice coil relative to the magnet. Changes the efficency that way. It is a great concept in that the impedance doesn't change when it's adjusted.

Only downside is I had to remove the panel in the back that protects the speaker so I could turn the knob .

Stephen

13. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    Since this thread originally aired, I've put a Maverick in a BFDR. I'm liking it !
    At some point I'd like to use more of the FDMs. Two in a 1965 Twin Reverb and another pair for a 1987 Marshall, rehoused as a 2-12" combo.
    Would like to see more options with this feature, like in 10". Be handy in Princeton Reverbs.

14. powerwagonjohn

powerwagonjohn Tele-Meister

Apr 30, 2013
    minnesota
    A 15" model would be nice too.
    Thanks John

BobbyZ likes this.

15. Shidoin

Shidoin Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jan 7, 2009
    Ventura CA
    I’ve had a Maverick in my BFDR for several months.
    1. It is an excellent speaker in its own right.
    2. The FDM works as advertised, and any slight loss of brightness can be easily compensated for by turning up the tone knob.
    This is a great speaker.

BobbyZ and homesick345 like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.