Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Looking at the Eminence Maverick FDM

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by TelecasterTweet, Mar 22, 2017.

1. TelecasterTweet

TelecasterTweet TDPRI Member

Feb 17, 2014
    South Hadley, MA
    So I am getting kinda sick of worrying about my Attenuator at gigs now, it's just one more thing to remember and to hook up. I am seriously considering sticking some Eminence FDM Mavericks in my Ab763 twin reverb. My old CTS speakers are starting to bite the dust from what I think was a bad recone Job I had done a few years back. I don't feel like getting another recone right now.
    How much attenuation can I get out of these guys? and how much does the attenuation effect the tone?
    Also I appreciate it but I don't need any recommendations on other speakers haha!
    If these don't cut it I still know what I'll get
    Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times, I've been off of TDPRI for a few months.
    Cheers!
    15E94C61-3408-48EA-83B2-B08D843EECDD-1929-0000018A477866EF.jpeg

2. Tone Chase

Tone Chase Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2014
    Windsor ON Canada
    I have the Reignmaker installed in a 1976 Traynor YGM3. It does what it is supposed to do in a variety of good ways.

I would like to have a Maverick and a Reignmaker in a 212 combo.

3. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    You give up line outs thou.
    That would be why I stick to my attenuator.
    That's my post power fx loop.
    It's in a rack, with stuff brought in anyways, at the same time.
    I am curious about those. I wonder how they do not get hot.

4. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    I have the reignmaker,. love it

Great speaker in its own right, it does a very sensible attenuation to get the amp to the sweet spots

No line out? Yeah, but no hassles too....

5. H. Mac

H. Mac Friend of Leo's

May 26, 2012
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I have a Reignmaker and a friend has a Maverick, and I have used them both and tried them in different amps.

Eminence did a great job on the design and construction of these speaker, but did very poor job on the roll out and marketing of them, particularly the FDM technology.

The FDM aspect allows the sensitivity of these speakers to be varied from about 99 to about 91 with a twist of a dial, with no audible loss or change of tone. The dial works well and is easy to use.

The FDM does not "attenuate" in the true sense of the word. An attenuator reduces the energy - attenuates the signal - after it leaves the amp and before it reaches the speaker. As a result, the speaker does not receive the full signal that leaves the amp, isn't driven or pushed too hard, and there is usually some noticeable signal loss, especially in the higher frequencies.

With the FDM technology, the full signal leaving the amp does reach the speaker, so the speaker can be pushed, and none of the frequencies are lost. The FDM technology works by changing the sensitivity or efficiency of the speaker.

But Eminence failed to explain that 1) both of these speakers sound great and should have been placed in higher end of the the Eminence speaker lines; and 2) failed to quantify or properly explain how much the volume varies as the dial is used to change the sensitivity. (Obviously, YouTube clips are exceptionally poor at conveying volume levels.)

My experience is based on using these speakers with clones of Fender tweeds (5F1, 5E3, and 5F4) and with my friend's blackface clones. And using the FDM, the volume can be reduced by as much as 40-50 percent, and it allows lesser levels of volume reduction as well.

6. homesick345

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Excellent summary. As far as gizmos go; this Emi FDM technology should have been a real hit - a game changer. Alas....I believe firmly this will be discontinued real soon.

catering for guitarists must be hell :) :) :)

7. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted

Jan 5, 2011
    Poland
    There is so little information about these FDM speakers. I was interested in getting one for my 5E3 but gave up.

8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX

"you give up the line outs."

Can you explain what this means? Aren't these speakers simply hooked up to the speaker out jack as normal? I have no experience with these speakers and am curious what relationship there is that line outs are being discussed.

9. ebb soul

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia

I interface my F/X here, or via attenuator/ EQ.
    They sound so clean and studio like post power tube.
    The tubes won't add their own modulation and colour.
    Not all attenuators can do this.
    Come to think of it the eminence would work with a Suhr line out box.

10. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Ebbsoul, bear with me. My morning tea is just kicking in, and I am a bit slow.
    How do these Emi flux density speakers hook up to the amp? How does that interfere with an effects loop?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017

11. homesick345

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Wally - I think what Ebbsoul means is he is using/giving up the line out from his attenuator; (many attenuators have line out, effect loop; as to insert stuff or slave to other amp/PA etc..)

THe FDM from Eminence; is just a regular guitar Speaker with a volume/attenuation knob - that's it; that's all...

A great speaker; with a variable up-to 9 dbs attenuation

12. homesick345

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    this is all the info you need really. It's a 12" speaker. Nothing more to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted

Jan 5, 2011
    Poland
    I don't mean the amount of information on the FDM, but the speaker itself. There are endless tone comparisons of speakr A vs speaker B, but when it comes to the FDM speakers, people write mostly about the FDM.

14. ebb soul

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Wally, these speakers do not interfere with fx loops.
    The amps I like offer no loop.
    And a Suhr line out would work for these.
    But, man, to have your fx post power stage like a studio, and a post power EQ stage, with a Groove Tubes SE or Marshall SE 100 attenuator, well once you do that there's no going back.
    Pete Yorn, Rev Willie G, and EVH have been known to route their rigs this way.

15. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Thanks, homesick.....there was no direct link between ?line outs? And the attenuator. I was focused on the speaker and didn't get that Ebbsoul was talking about the loss of that advantage when taking the attenuator out of the equation.
    Piotr, if and when I buy a new speaker it will probably be one of these flux density adjustable speakers. The Eminence is certainly more 'affordable' than the only other speaker I know of that does anything similar....

http://www.fluxtonespeakers.com/how-it-works.html

16. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    A comparison of the Emi and the Flux Tone would be interesting, wouldn't it?

17. I have the Maverick in my 1x12 custom Bassman combo and love it... a simple movement of the knob and you can have the perfect volume for any setting.... great sounding speakers as well.

18. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    I understand now, Ebbsoul. Like I said...sometimes I am slow. If your statement..."You give up
    Line outs, thou" in your post #3 had ended with 'when the attenuator is taken out of line'; then my slow morning brain would not have wondered 'what line outs' and therefore would not have had to end up wondering how a speaker could interfere with line outs.
    As far as that goes, one could maintain the attenuator in the circuit. Leave the attenuation at minimum...none....but use the loop as you say. Then, you could control the volume with the flux density adjustment. This MIGHT yield a better result IF the flux density adjustment really does not interfere with sonics as much as an antenna too can...especially if one really wants to cut volume. ??

19. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted

Jan 5, 2011
    Poland
    By Eminence's own admission, it does make the tone duller when you adjust for lower sensitivity. The problem is these speakers are super-rare (at least around here) and not being put into any off-the-shelf amps that I know of. So testing is pretty much out of the question.

20. ebb soul

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Note, on the above posted image how it sez 'increase vol/ brightness?'
    All forms of attenuation suffer from a loss of highs as you add load, or cut power.
    This must be physics, as no one has yet beaten that monkey.

ajm763 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.