Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

looking at a bassman LTD. thoughts and knowledge about these?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by thunderbyrd, Dec 3, 2018.

1. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 21, 2004
    central ky
    a friend wants me to buy his bassman ltd. i'm not sure what year it was made, but it's recent. and i'm not sure what speakers are in it.

I've never owned one and have only occasionally played through one. I understand it is a great blues and blues rock amp.

and a last thought: will playing a bass through one destroy the speakers?

I just want folks' thoughts about the tweed 4x10 bassman, and experiences.

thank you!

swany and savofenno like this.
  2. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Jun 24, 2004
    Anderson, IN
    Great sounding, loud, guitar amp. Not really usable as a bass amp.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  3. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    La Quinta, CA
    Good gigging volume. Nice, clean with a bit of hair always hanging 'round the edges.

The reissue Fenders are good , solid performers. Thick OPCB build, tube sockets mounted on the chassis not PCB, etc. The Bassman LTD has some improvements over the earlier Reissues, solid pine cabinet and with a tube rectifier installed.

The 4x10 cabinet fills a space with sound better than any amp I've ever played. It isn't beamy, or directional.

The 5f6-a is one of my favorites.

InkStained and thunderbyrd like this.
  4. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    The original is on the short list of greatest guitar amps ever made. Big, bold, luscious tones, especially with a Strat. Room filling sound. Overdrive that stays tight and well defined even when dimed. The only drawback is it's just flat out loud as heck if you want to enjoy those distorted sounds.

If he'll let you try it out before you buy, make sure you can crank it up so you can see how much amp you're getting before you commit. I have a really nice clone I built, and there's not many places I can use it to its full potential.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  5. blues bondsman

blues bondsman Tele-Afflicted

Feb 12, 2012
    Indiana
    One of my all time favorites.
    The LTD version is excellent, I did swap out the Italian Jensens for some Webers when I had mine.

Minivan Megafun and thunderbyrd like this.
  6. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2014
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    Go for it

My band mate has been using one since 20 years ago and I am looking for one as well

thunderbyrd likes this.
  7. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    There's a reason it's the holy grail of Fender amps, with the possible exception of the tweed twin.
    The originals were a perfectly fine bass amp, but the stock speakers couldn't take it.
    Not sure which speakers are in the reissues.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  8. thunderbyrd

Dec 21, 2004
    central ky
    I've always read that the bassman is a great amp to pair with a strat. seems like I read once that jimi recorded "little wing" on a bassman, with a uni-vibe. but it' possible I imagined that.

9. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Well...the Marshall/Bassman connection is no secret, but...yeah...if you plug a Strat into a Bassman, you definitely hear "that!" tone.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  10. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    The first reissue of a Fender amp was the Marshall JCM45.

charlie chitlin likes this.
  11. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    La Quinta, CA
    I think you meant JTM, not JCM. But, yes, you are correct. Them British kids knew what was up!

swany likes this.
  12. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Yes, thanks. JTM. :D

Axis29 likes this.
  13. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Jul 1, 2005
    North Texas
    I’ve got an earlier RI, not the LTD, and I love it. I had one years ago and sold it, and regretted it ever since, so when this one popped up a year or so ago I grabbed it, and I use it every chance I get. The mid knob is your best friend with this amp; run the treble and bass a little down with the mid up....glorious. Mine had Celestion G10 “vintage” speakers in it when I got it; way too bright (and way too heavy) for me. I put 1028KS in it, closer to the old blue frames, it sounds more like it should now, to my ears anyway.

Best of luck!

14. swany

swany Tele-Meister

Sep 12, 2003
    Evergreen, Colorado
    A good friend of mine borrowed my bassman for a small gig and it did blow the speakers, (he was playing a Jazz bass through it). I recommend playing bass at living room volume only, maybe playing with a piano, but no drummer. They use the 10" Alnico Jensen speakers. My all time favorite amp.

15. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Feb 21, 2013
    Manitoba
    Best gigging amp I've had. It has a wonderful room filling sound and a very wide "beam" so you can hear yourself without having to crank it up at all. It's best used as a clean platform for pedals because it's "take the paint off low flying aircraft" loud when you crank it up into the zone where you get natural overdrive. It's a tweed so the natural mids cut nicely through a mix.

I ditched the stock Jensen reissue speakers and put a pair of Weber 10A125's and other pair of 10F150's.

16. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    VERY LOUD.

My bass player in a country band played one for years against dueling Teles (DR and Epiphone Elektar) and a restrained drummer (power rods). It sounded really good and he never blew anything up. Maybe he just got lucky.

17. thunderbyrd

Dec 21, 2004
    central ky
    I have another question about the bassman. in "soul of tone", there's a photo of Elvis singing through one. so can you see using one this way, in a low-ish volume sort of gig? as an impromptu pa system?

18. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    It was done for years before PA equipment became common. A hi-Z mic will pair up better with the input impedance of the amp.

I think that pic was actually a Bandmaster, BTW. Not that it matters for this, the electrons don't care what label is on the amp with these old circuits.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.